[PETITION] Android 4.4 KitKat for acer s500

Guest iAl3x

As many of you know android 4.4 is out for Nexus 5 and I've even heard that it has been ported to nexus 4.

It has huge improvements for performance and tweaks for lower-end devices...Even thought our device is mid-range to high-end device android 4.4 should run better on our device than 4.1.2

Here is the link to the complete changelog http://developer.android.com/about/versions/kitkat.html

Let's try to knock on acer's door with an petition to remind them to continue updating our device or even port this by ourselves as I think it will run even better than stock or any other 4.1.2 ROM

I want to hear your thoughts about this.

Guest Spacecaker

ive seen so many petitions fail but also so many win

about the support from acer ? i think its like zero

its servicedesk members didnt even knew what android was so i am not that sure that we wil get an update in near future

i think we are stuvk on 4.1.2

Yes it would be great to have kitkat on our s500...but I would bet on the community of this happen...Acer will never do it, petition or not..

Afaik the s500 is not produced anymore, not even sure stock still exist,

At least for the black one...Acer is no worst than other manufacturer,

They usually provide one major upgrade and that's all...except for the

Nexus models supported by Google, and sometimes high volume flagship.

The s500 was (briefly) Acer flagship, but it was certainly not high volume, so if u are hoping for anything

Else than the ics to jb that Acer provided, u will be deceived imho...

Guest execpwd

I agree with gkai... Our only hope it's that the KitKat will be ported by our beloved devs for CM S500 ... I also read that the update will come even for lower-end phones, so our hope is not dead.

Off course I would like and want that !

But Acer support sucks big time ...

That's why my next phone will probably be a nexus or a sony.

But if there is a petition, i'll sign; still love the value for money of this phone.

Be sure to engage the French, Romanian,Russian and Acer forums ...

Off course I would like and want that !

But Acer support sucks big time ...

That's why my next phone will probably be a nexus or a sony.

But if there is a petition, i'll sign; still love the value for money of this phone.

Be sure to engage the French, Romanian,Russian and Acer forums ...

I'm from Romania and I know a little bit of french. Anyway I've seen petitions from larger communities that have been signed by thousands and never received an response or just have been ignored like the petition from the armV6 community to Qualcomm to release armv6 drivers for ICS/JB - they just simply said they can't. As I said I've posted this to start talking about KitKat and discuss about porting it to our beloved device.

Well, right now devs are trying to port cyanogen 10.1 (jb 4.2) to s500...without success at this time, due mainly to graphical drivers. I know, I tried it myself ;) others are trying too, using various methods, but it seems difficult and the dev community is not huge for our phone so...When a cyanogen based on kitkat is out, I will try again but I am not too experienced so don't hold your breath ;) maybe some will try using aosp, then u will hear about it shortly as aosp 4.4 is available...but I doubt it will be any easier than jb 4.2 unfortunately...

Guest Spacecaker

You can use drivers from other phones, with MSM 8260A and GPU Adreno 225:

Asus Padfone,Asus Transformer Pad Infinity (3G), HTC One S (Z520e), Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G, Sony Xperia T, Sony Xperia TX,Vertu Ti,Haier w910

sadly it isnt easy as u think

i hav experiemented with this already A LOT

still afte succesing conpilation and such

it still not booted

Guest execpwd

Because you can't boot with stock kernel, and you can't compile kernels with video drivers from other motherboard. As I understood, the problem with not booting isn't only from the chipset but from the whole motherboard...

Guest Spacecaker

Because you can't boot with stock kernel, and you can't compile kernels with video drivers from other motherboard. As I understood, the problem with not booting isn't only from the chipset but from the whole motherboard...

no display drivers mallfunctioning

wich causes no boot

we need to fix a ton of stuff in kernel

Guest Spacecaker

It's some hard work... Maybe you'll get lucky with 4.4 after it appears for some devices that have the same chipset...

Nope

still wont be easy as u think

its harder thwn just simply that

Guest execpwd

Nope

still wont be easy as u think

its harder thwn just simply that

Not easy as I think but easier than 4.2.x , because it is made to support a wider number of devices, so maybe the drivers will be posted by QUALCOMM for the respective chipset.

Maybe Acer will think about CM too ... We don't know yet ...

Guest Spacecaker

Not easy as I think but easier than 4.2.x , because it is made to support a wider number of devices, so maybe the drivers will be posted by QUALCOMM for the respective chipset.

Maybe Acer will think about CM too ... We don't know yet ...

i am currently synching aosp 4.4 sources

also what i have noticed was that when i tried aosp 4.1.2 i had Exact same error in logcat and dmesg aw CM10.1 o.O

Guest Spacecaker

currently during lunch i have TARGET DEVICE Config swing generic not found

and such kind of errors during aync

now i am very tired after some days without no sleep .so gonna take nice rest ;)

also i am 100% sure it will error tons of times with the display and hw stuff so i will only give kitkat a try when i am Bored as thats the only time i can work on stuff due to school

Guest Spacecaker

It gets bad when only one works, so yeah, it would be the time for you to take a rest

i have tried a lot for cm10.1 a month ago

but still failed

and basicly i already gave up hope on 4.2+ roms for acer device :/

so i am like 90% sure kitkat will fail once again :/

Guest execpwd

I understand... Okay... One more question. Did it work for you to change the colour of the clock and battery through gravity box? Even the position of the clock? Thanks again.

Guest Spacecaker

I understand... Okay... One more question. Did it work for you to change the colour of the clock and battery through gravity box? Even the position of the clock? Thanks again.

those dont work unless u disabled acer.shell 

then all work