• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.

Root your Moto G - option 1: Superboot

183 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

What is this?

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

What are the pre-requisites?

YOU NEED YOUR BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED TO CARRY OUT THIS PROCESS. It's easy using fastboot, which is included in the download below. The instructions on the Motorola site are very straightforward - visit this page to get started. Unlocking the bootloader will wipe your device.

Any caveats?

Aside from the bootloader unlock wiping your device and invalidating your warranty, you should note that while rooting may affect your ability to receive future OTAs, reverting back to stock is easy enough. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. ;)

Download

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

• Superboot r2 - DOWNLOAD (ROMraid) - MD5: a4ca11f526f57f643a0a552ec234ad6f
How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX
  • Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
  • Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume down' button pressed to enter the bootloader.
  • WINDOWS - run 'superboot-windows.bat' as Administrator
  • MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by 'sudo ./superboot-mac.sh'
  • LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by 'sudo ./superboot-linux.sh'
Enjoy! :)

P

PS If you find this useful, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo subscription! Visit the store for further details!

grooted.jpg

Posted · Report post

Thanks a million!

Posted · Report post

So much nicer than flashing a custom recovery :D

Posted · Report post

Paul. I have said this before on xda but.... What a guy! Many thanks your eminence. *Gets back in box.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi there,

I'm having trouble :

fastboot-windows.exe boot boot.superboot.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  0.281s]
booting...
OKAY [  0.250s]
finished. total time: 0.531s

something's going wrong, seems like "boot.img" isn't sent... but shouldn't be "boot.superboot.img" instead of "boot.img" ?

boot.img is 7 734ko on my folder.

Thanks for any help !

Edited by Joshua74

Posted · Report post

Hi there,

I'm having trouble :

something's going wrong, seems like boot.img isn't sent... My bootloader is unlocked.

boot.img is 7 734ko on my folder.

Thanks for any help !

That looks like it's worked OK to me...?

The device should then boot. It'll appear to boot normally, but it'll be rooted when it comes up.

P

Posted · Report post

Paul, you are an absolute superstar! Thank you so much!!! :D

Posted · Report post

It boots normally, but no su apk, when i try root checker it says it's not root, and if y a try to install superSU it says binaries are missing.

OKAY [  0.281s]

It's not too short for an almost 7 Mo file ? why 'boot.img' and not 'boot.superboot.img' ?

Thanks

Posted · Report post

I think it's normal for it to say boot.img...

P

Posted · Report post

Bit of a dumb question but, how do i copy the code from command prompt, into the Motorola website. Copy and paste doesn't work in command prompt, so i don't get how this is possible?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IJBwsAX.png

Posted · Report post

Right click the top of the bar and then choose mark

ScreenShot032.bmp

Posted · Report post

Right click the top of the bar and then choose mark

Thank you, i didn't realise you could do that! :)

------------------------------------------------

What the heck is this? I typed my code into the box, without spaces or 'Bootloader' text like it says, and it comes up that my phone does not qualify for bootloader unlocking!! Why not?!

9wo2.png

Posted · Report post

That sounds a bit troubling, where is it from?

Posted · Report post

It boots normally, but no su apk, when i try root checker it says it's not root, and if y a try to install superSU it says binaries are missing.

OKAY [  0.281s]

It's not too short for an almost 7 Mo file ? why 'boot.img' and not 'boot.superboot.img' ?

Thanks

Hey,

I have got the same problem. I am unlocked (status code 3), but your bootimg fails to boot. I also tried it with my version of fastboot (latest from SDK) but it has no effect. I even flashed your image as my primary boot partition, but it refuses to boot, so I had to reflash stock boot.img.

Any idea?

Posted · Report post

That sounds a bit troubling, where is it from?

Tesco's, on the Tesco pay as you go network! I bought it this morning as soon as the phone shop opened in my local store.

If you take a look at this thread on the Motorola forums, it seems to be a recent issue affecting the Motorala Moto X also: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/2cf3fea770

Posted · Report post

a1pha, where is your device from? Which model is it? Euro or US?

Please upload your stock boot image.

P

Posted · Report post

a1pha, where is your device from? Which model is it? Euro or US?

Please upload your stock boot image.

P

It is the RETAIL_DE from Germany.

Stock  boot.img as requested.

Thanks.

Posted · Report post

It is the RETAIL_DE from Germany. Stock boot.img as requested. Thanks.
I guess the boot image is slightly different on your device? I'll have a look when I get a spare 10 minutes. Watch this space! P

Posted · Report post

I guess the boot image is slightly different on your device? I'll have a look when I get a spare 10 minutes. Watch this space! P

I ran a diff against the contents of the ramdisks on your initrd and the stock one from my boot.img. The only differences are the changes to default.prop and init.rc you made (and the superboot folder).

The kernels differ. Updated your bootimg with the zImage from my boot.img (using abootimg) - still refuses to boot.

Posted · Report post

Dear, 

I got same issue like a1Pha. My moto come with retail_FR, can I test your new boot.img too ?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey guys,

Can someone post a step by step "for dummies" guide to flashing the stock unbranded firmware to over right the UK Tesco firmware?
I've already downloaded the unbranded UK RETAIL firmware and unlocked my phone to use in other networks, that's as far as I've got.
Not looking to root or anything else, just to apply the stock unbranded firmware so that I can get future updates from Motorola and not Tesco.
Thanks.

edit. will create new topic, sorry!

Edited by TeamKilo

Posted · Report post

TeamKilo, this topic is about root. Please start a new topic.

a1Pha, strange, i'll have a think on it...

P

Posted · Report post

@PaulOBrien

If it's any help, I am on Win 8.1 x64 and running your .bat at first didn't work.

I just ran an elevated command and manually ran fastboot boot boot.superboot.img  Job done, thanks.