• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.

Root your Moto G - option 1: Superboot

183 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

bootloader unlocked as per moto website using oem unlock etc.

but this boot image isnt doing a thing for root, no super user here and in terminal entering su dont work either so no root..

mine is tesco brand version but unlocked to any network with an unlock code

any ideas ??

(( (   ( help )  )   ))

Posted · Report post

bootloader unlocked as per moto website using oem unlock etc.

but this boot image isnt doing a thing for root, no super user here and in terminal entering su dont work either so no root..

mine is tesco brand version but unlocked to any network with an unlock code

any ideas ??

(( (   ( help )  )   ))

You have the same problem as me. There is no solution yet.

Posted · Report post

might be a dumb question but have you tried flashing the retail english rom and  then trying the root method, just to see if it works ?

Posted (edited) · Report post

It boots normally, but no su apk, when i try root checker it says it's not root, and if y a try to install superSU it says binaries are missing.

downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  0.281s]

It's not too short for an almost 7 Mo file ? why 'boot.img' and not 'boot.superboot.img' ?

Thanks

I appear to have the same - it says it downloads the img to the phone but when it reboots there is no root.

anyone got any thoughts?

{I'm on a win8 x64 machine}

tia

Edited by dt_matthews

Posted · Report post

Well done..  I had a quick look yesterday at it, but I could not get the thing to boot with a new image, I was getting a 'hab check failed' error when I tried to flash an modified boot image..

Whats the secret step I missed then? :)

Posted · Report post

I have a Tesco one arriving today so I'll try the root on that.

Sebastian404, not sure, I didn't do anything different for this device over what I normally do, it's just a regular boot image...

P

Posted · Report post

device rooted yestarday, thanks

on my experience it works on second attemp:

- unlock

- superboot-windows.bat

- reboot

- setup

- *** no root ***

- reboot bootloader

- superboot-windows.bat

- reboot

- root

did "fastboot oem lock" works to remove the bootloader alert screen?

Posted · Report post

You can't relock the bootloader with a modified system image i'm afraid.

P

Posted · Report post

I added a poll to the topic to track success / failure on different OS'. If you have rooted or have tried to root, please complete the poll.

P

Posted · Report post

Paul, I already tried other operating systems (I have tripleboot: OSX, Win8.1, Kali Linux), other cables and switching USB ports (also tried both USB3 and USB2.0), semms not to have any effect..

Posted · Report post

might be a dumb question but have you tried flashing the retail english rom and  then trying the root method, just to see if it works ?

Just did so, flashed _everything_ (including logo & radio) from retail.en.GB. No effect, besides the fact that the phone shows me "en.GB" in system version now. Still cannot boot Pauls superboot.

Posted · Report post

Just did so, flashed _everything_ (including logo & radio) from retail.en.GB. No effect, besides the fact that the phone shows me "en.GB" in system version now. Still cannot boot Pauls superboot.

Seriously weird then, technically our phones are identical!!!

P

Posted · Report post

Seriously weird then, technically our phones are identical!!!

P

Are you able to flash your superboot.img as primary boot partition and boot from it without an error?

Posted · Report post

Are you able to flash your superboot.img as primary boot partition and boot from it without an error?

I haven't tried...

P

Posted · Report post

Just out of interest does doing a full flash re-lock the bootloader?

Posted · Report post

Just out of interest does doing a full flash re-lock the bootloader?

Nope.

Posted · Report post

Got a Tesco handset arriving in the next few hours - if you want anything from a stock one let me know! Will be trying this as soon as it's out of the box and unlocked :)

Posted · Report post

You have the same problem as me. There is no solution yet.

I'm thinking the UK Tesco version is causing this problem. I may be wrong.

Posted · Report post

I'm thinking the UK Tesco version is causing this problem. I may be wrong.

I am not from UK, I have the retail German version.

Posted · Report post

Got a Tesco handset arriving in the next few hours - if you want anything from a stock one let me know! Will be trying this as soon as it's out of the box and unlocked :)

I have one coming today too...

P

Posted · Report post

Hi Paul, 

May be our inderstanding, have you unlock bootloader with motorola website or by Superboot method ?

Posted · Report post

Unlock bootloader from the Motorola website.

P

Posted · Report post

I've updated the download to r2, which includes the Motorola version fastboot tools.

P

Posted · Report post

Hi paul, i have a tesco 16gb version, just unbranded and then unlocked bootloader and now trying to root ....the r2 superboot has still not given me root :(

Posted · Report post

Hi paul, i have a tesco 16gb version, just unbranded and then unlocked bootloader and now trying to root ....the r2 superboot has still not given me root :(

I'll check it out when I get mine.

P