Root your Moto G - option 1: Superboot

Guest PaulOBrien

• 2 weeks later...
Guest glossywhite

Dear Paul,

My Moto G turned off after running superboot on windows.. I have no clue what is happening :( . Can you guide me ? 

Amlas

It appears Paul has left the planet - either that or he's ignoring everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Simon O

To be fair this is an old root method and there are many other, easier solutions out there now. And it is very likely that this method does not work on newer Moto G revisions.

Guest gerrymac

Hi Guys,

Before I go ahead and root my new Moto G phone using Paul O Brien's Superboot app (http://loadbalancing.modaco.com/download.php?file=r2-motog-superboot.zip). Could anyone verify that my current phone spec is compatible with Superboot? Please see the attachment for a screen shot of my Phone's specs.

Thanks a lot and appologies if this is not a suitable question to post,

Gerry

post-1046223-0-06130200-1408622731_thumb

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest misterintredasting

I managed to follow this guide fine but then I tried to update to 4.4.4 using OTA which I guessed caused me to lose root access as supersu is no longer in the app draw. I have tried flashing it and downloading from the playstore but it doesn't seem to be working. I have also tried repeating step 5 and 6 of the same guide but doesn't seem to be helping either. Thanks in advance. 

http://www.swedroid....windows.106595/

edit: Fixed it by installing supersu from playstore, then running the app until it asked to reboot to recovery and then I fixed root (for the millionth time) but it worked. 

Edited by misterintredasting

• 8 months later...
Guest JCorominas

I followed the Motorola procedeure to unlock the bootloader. Then I followed your procedure to unlock successfully root my Moto G first gen XT1032. Thanks! I installed the terminal emulator and was able to invoke su. I installed rootchecker which confirmed I had root access. I then ran the Factory Reset. It left the bootloader unlocked but I lost root access. I am no longer rooted. But the files that were installed by your procedure are still in /system/xbin. I navigated to it to make sure. If I want to root the Moto G again am I safe to follow your procedure all over again even though the files from the first installation is in /system/xbin? If not please suggest what I should do to become rooted again.

Thanks

Jose Alfonso Corominas

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest DocEcho

I followed the steps as directed. I still don't see the Superuser and Terminal Emulator shows it is still not rooted.

Edited by DocEcho

• 3 months later...
Guest Aman Samant

I flashed a SuperSU v2.64 after going into (please forgive my language, I am an absolute beginner) TWRP recovery, and it did seem like it was flashed correctly but then after I chose the 'reboot' device option it didn't reboot. It started but didn't go past that bootloader unlock warning screen. Then I googled desperately and tried formatting and flashing other versions and what not. Same problem. Your superboot batch file seemed to work because the Motorola logo screen with 'powered by android came up' and that's the closest I've gotten to it booting again.

Please please help me asap. :-(

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest dypelec

hello from France,

I tried this tip on Moto G 3rd Generation absolutly basic (no SU, nothing rooted...) using a W7 pro absolutly clean and validated. it goes wrong at  :

superboot-windows.bat > boot superboot.img > downloading 'boot.img' .... > OKAY [ 0.267s] > booting... > FAILED (remote failure) > finished. total time 0.271s

In Bootloader there is :

AP Fastboot Flash Mode (Secure).... > Device is Locked. Status Code: 0 > Software Status: Official > Transfer Mode: USB Connected

EDIT : the dumb froggy's back, once the bootloader unlocked : everything goes round and round ! great job when right followed.

Edited by dypelec
when unlock all is good

• 1 month later...

Not Found

The requested URL /files/r2-motog-superboot.zip was not found on this server.

Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu) Server at wright.modaco.net Port 80

this is what is get when I try to download the file. Any help?

• 3 months later...
Guest MidnightBlue

Hi Paul, I have a Moto G 1st generation. I tried flashing it as it was not booting and was giving blank screen after Blue M logo. I followed instruction and unlocked the phone successfully. Then When I ran fastboot-windows.bat from the command prompt, it gives following error.

c:\motog-boot\r2-motog-superboot>fastboot-moto-windows.exe boot boot.superboot.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [  0.275s]
booting...
FAILED (remote failure)
finished. total time: 0.286s

On the Phone error message as below.

cmd: download:0078d800

cmd: boot