Root your Moto G - option 2: Modified recovery

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Andrelgl

It did work on my 16 GB Dual SIM Brasil Retail ...

I'm always a little afraid to flash those .img, but it's worthed =D

Thank you very much ... made me happier with my Moto G !!!

quasmin, Hello I'm from Brazil too, you could root with which methods? Worked smoothly, your mobile phone and 16G dual sim confirms?...

Guest quasmin

quasmin, Hello I'm from Brazil too, you could root with which methods? Worked smoothly, your mobile phone and 16G dual sim confirms?...

This method... I could not with the superboot, but the modified recovery worked just fine. Yeap, running smoothly and steady...

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the job.

I just still have an issue (Linux, Moto G 8 GO FR). Indeed, when I used this command ./fastboot-moto-linux flash recovery recovery.testkeys.img I can move on my phone to go to recovery (I can't go up or down)

I can't go futher than : target max-sparse-size: 256MB

sending 'recovery' (10240 KB)...

In Windows I have this message :target max-sparse-size: 256MB

sending 'recovery' (10240 KB)...

FAILED <data transfer failure <Unknown error>>

Finished

What should I do ?

Thanks a lot

Edited by buggi

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MickJack

Had the moto G for a while, just got round to unlocking the bootloader and rooting. I am not good at this and need to pick my way across the instructions slowly (very slowly).

There are good guides to unlocking the bootloader out there:

http://www.androidpit.com/moto-g-unlock-bootloader-and-root

http://www.android.gs/unlock-motorola-moto-g-bootloader/

http://androidflagship.com/3436-unlock-bootloader-moto-g

and more just a google away

I tried to root method 1 but it did not seem to want to work so on to this thread and method 2. All going well until the sideload supersu bit, had the 'device not found' problem, the win7 laptop has had no problem seeing the moto G until now !! Quit and read up a bit more, thanks to ahac85 and mheman for the tip to updating driver from device manager (post #28), my motorola driver was in "android devices".

Flash again and reboot handset and we now have root, supersu in the apps drawer.

Only now do I see that I have a nice fresh handset, all my app and data gone, my backup using MyBackupPro app gone so no restore, not a problem just a bit of work to do in a idle moment or hour, photo's have gone as well, I should have known better, nothing importent but a lesson learned.

Thanks Paul and all on here.

Edited by MickJack

Guest kastrol

hi men. 

I have a problem, when i put the fastboot flash mode and apply recovery.

i see the next text : "hab check failed for recovery"  u.u

Try to select "Recovery" with Volume Down key and hit this with Volume Up Key, now select "apply update from sdcard" with Volume Down key, hit this with Power key and try to enter the ADB-Command on you prompt again...

Now my problem is right after this, I get the "Finding update package...", "Opening Update package..." messages and after "Verifying update package...", I got the "Installation Aborted." and the android icon on wallpaper got the "error" word too. And when restart my phone it doesn't root.

I'm sending a photo of my error.

My device is a dual sim retail from Brazil with a 4.3 android last update (with GPS and other stuff updates)

EDIT: I just restarted in bootloader, flashed recovery image again, restarted again and tried adb command and now it's done. Thanks for the well done hard work PaulOBrien

post-1033643-0-91174800-1389044095_thumb

Edited by kastrol

Guest deltalinxx

Not working for me, I'm on kitkat us version with a uk handset, reverted back to 4.3 bootloader, tried to use this root and the other root method, go into recovery and tried to do "adb-windows sideload supersu.motog.zip"

and it just says:

C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\r1\r1>adb-windows sideload supersu.motog.zip

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
error: device not found

C:\Users\Admin\Desktop\r1\r1>adb-windows sideload supersu.motog.zip
error: device not found

Any ideas?

EDIT: fixed it, needed to install ADB driver, all rooted now :) finally.
Edited by deltalinxx

Guest creambyemute

This method did not work for me. WIndows 8.1 64Bit

What I did: 

# fastboot-moto-windows flash recovery recovery.testkeys.img

# Go down to Recovery

# Select it either with power (I know this is wrong!) or volume up

WHat happened:

# Phone boots up instead of entering recovery no matter how I selected it.

I was then able to do it with your superboot image (which first did also not work for me, but more on that in the other thread ;) )

Edited by creambyemute

Guest Lazaroid

My Kitkat update has just appeared (UK retail) but it gives me an unhelpful "error" early on when it tries to install. Has anyone had the OTA update install properly after using the Option 2 modified recovery method for rooting?

I suspect I need to revert to the original recovery. Is this doable without a complete wipe and install of a stock ROM?

My Kitkat update has just appeared (UK retail) but it gives me an unhelpful "error" early on when it tries to install. Has anyone had the OTA update install properly after using the Option 2 modified recovery method for rooting?

I suspect I need to revert to the original recovery. Is this doable without a complete wipe and install of a stock ROM?

I concur, same situation.

Guest tee_pot

Same here :(

and here too - retail 8GB rooted with this method 2, as method 1 failed... I uninstalled SuperSU using the option in the app, but still get the (unhelpful) error message on upgrade. I've got full app/settings backups (hopefully! it's only a week old so no biggie if I've lost everything, tbh), so thought I'd try a factory reset, but now it's saying there aren't any updates available :'( should've adb pulled the update too, I guess... :/

EDIT: ok, got 4.4.2 installed now :D

used the guide here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2542219 to flash the stock retail gb 4.3 rom, then copied the retail gb OTA update file (found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=49390749 ) to the sdcard root and performed the update in settings -> about phone -> system update

now going to see if titanium backup worked! :)

xTx

Edited by tee_pot

hen copied the retail gb OTA update file (found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=49390749 ) to the sdcard root and performed the update in settings -> about phone -> system update

How did you manage that? I've placed Blur_Version.174.44.9.falcon_umts.Retail.en.GB.zip on root folder of my phone and nothing happened after settings -> about phone -> system update or reboot :(

Guest eternity525

I just got the notification for the KitKat update for Koodo (Canada), it downloaded the update but it won't install as it gave me an error. I too have used the 2nd method the root. 

Has anyone been able to apply the update without a full wipe?

Guest lonenol
Hello I've got the same problem as creambyemute, can't get to recovery mode
# fastboot-moto-windows flash recovery recovery.testkeys.img
# Go down to Recovery
# Volume up
then it reboots, tried several modified recovery. All like this.

The second problem is that after it reboots if i keep the USB connected, I'm not able to turn off the phone, I choose power off, it just reboot again

XT1302 with stock rom 4.4.2 global version

Anyone got the same issue?
Edited by lonenol

Guest Joe McClaine

Hi, I am new to this forum. I've never before had an android mobile phone, I did flash a android tablet once but I have very limited experience or knowledge of custom ROMs. My new Moto G 16GB which I purchased from Tesco offered the upgrade to Kit Kat the evening I opened the box. Since then I've unlocked it but I'm pausing before I root the device.

I'm considering using 'Option 2 Modified recovery'. I've read this thread and option 1 and I have a few questions.

1) Am I correct in thinking rooting the device will wipe the phone completely and I'll have to start installing apps and customising from scratch?

2) Does it make any difference that I'm already running 4.4.2?

3) If I follow the instructions at the beginning of this thread and succeed in rooting the phone will I need to upgrade to 4.4.2 again?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sethmchris

Hello I've got the same problem as creambyemute, can't get to recovery mode
# fastboot-moto-windows flash recovery recovery.testkeys.img
# Go down to Recovery
# Volume up
then it reboots, tried several modified recovery. All like this.

The second problem is that after it reboots if i keep the USB connected, I'm not able to turn off the phone, I choose power off, it just reboot again

XT1302 with stock rom 4.4.2 global version

Anyone got the same issue?

I have the exact same issue. Can't even enter recovery just normally. Unsure of what to try next.

US GSM 16gb Stock 4.4.2

Edited by sethmchris

Guest AndroidIncognito

Hey everyone i accidentally updated the kik kat even though i didnt want to, and know have lost my right arm app AppOps >.< So i came here in an attempt to root my UK Moto G (Tesco-8gb) in the hopes of getting my favourite app back! After eventually getting my bootloader unlocked and now havign an annoying warning message pop up upon start up ive tried the next step of the superboot method. Sadly no luck with either of these methods >.<

In method 2 - for some reason whenever i hit the fastboot CMD i get the message "hub check failed for recovery" on my Moto G. Even when i proceed to press recovery (with either the vole up or power button) my phone just keeps restarting and i never see the "Apply update from SD" option that was listed in the instructions.

Please somebody help me!

Guest thewarden

Hello,

Tesco 8gb :

I initially rooted using option one, on 4.4.2 no problems.

I didnt like 4.4.2 so used Pauls guide to go to stock.

Its now on 4.3 :o)

But will not root on method 1.

On method 2 I get the hab error, which is  normal? But then when applying from SD I get "Error: Closed" in the CMD window 

The phone then hangs waiting for the update, and needs a hard reset.

Any advice please?

Edited by thewarden

Guest Alex Droid

Ref: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2563599

I tried everything but SuperSu won't appear in the app drawer.

Then I tried the method in the link and found still nothing there. Root checker showed system very slow and stuck. However, in settings, app, SuperSu was there.  I disabled it and then enable it. Then it appeared in app drawer!

Root checker then confirmed.

Guest enbeque

Hello, 

I have a Moto G and I am trying to root my device.  My device is unlocked but when I reach the step "

• Use the volume keys on your phone as instructed to navigate to and select the 'Recovery' option'

I select the option with the volume up key and then my device displays the white message from Motorola that I saw when i originally unlocked my device.  then the device continues to boot normally.  

I have a suspicion that the device is not communicating properly through the usb cable even though it is connected and charging and the device says connected.  I have not been able to see my device listed on the device manager screen even though I have the newest motorola device manager installed.  attached is a photo of the screen when asked if I want to update the USB drivers. fvjyh3g.jpg

in this screenshot you can see what my CMD window and my device driver installation status report are saying.  
Motorola Phone: NO

USB comp device: YES

MTP USB: NO
MOTO ADB Interface: YES

I'm stuck at this point.  Any help progressing further would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

All of this didnt worked for my XT1033.I even flashed the imagerecovery which was for 1032XT and lost abillty to get OTA!What I did is flash my stock rom with bat file and used superboot tool.

I have the exact same issue. Can't even enter recovery just normally. Unsure of what to try next.

US GSM 16gb Stock 4.4.2

Same device (international 16GB Unlocked Stock 4.4.2), same problem. It seems to be flashing correctly, but then I press down to highlight recovery and up to enter, it shows the unlocked bootloader warning once, then it goes black (reboot) and shows the warning again, just to boot normally to the system. If I try to boot directly to Recovery it says "No command".

Will try to flash CWM and install SuperSU manually and report back.

EDIT: It didn't work. Still an android with a red warning sign saying "No command."

EDIT2: Tried the method with Linux (Ubuntu) also without luck.

Edited by jmtast

Guest foliasis

Hey I have the Indian version running on Asia 4.4.2

I tried the method but the Super SU application did not show up in the drawer. I downloaded the application from the Play Store and guess what the device did root but for some reason failed to install Super SU