[ALPHA 2][B2G] Firefox OS 1.2 by Daredj

Guest daredj

firefox-os.png

Welcome to the Non-Android Zone!

DISCLAIMER:

Alpha Stage: USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Your warranty will be void if you proceed on this instalation

Anyway, all goes at your own risk, We are not a technical service, if you brick your phone we can advise you, but we don't take care of any unexpected result (EX: bricked phones).

Information:

This is the beggining of the Firefox OS for our Huawei ascend G300.

I started to compile using Dazz sources, and here I'll try to publish new versions and fixes as fast as I can.

For "noobs": Firefox OS is a new Operative System for some devices. It's 100% Open Source and that allow us to get our own version running on our device.

More information about Firefox OS: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/os/

Screenshots:

post-1004067-0-27388000-1386012565_thumbpost-1004067-0-84305500-1386012566_thumb

post-1004067-0-89728600-1386012579_thumbpost-1004067-0-24552300-1386012585_thumb

post-1004067-0-05140300-1386012587_thumbpost-1004067-0-70057900-1386012589_thumb

post-1004067-0-66511800-1386012591_thumbpost-1004067-0-67780000-1386012593_thumb

Current Stage: Alpha 2

Not Working:

• Camera
  • USB Storage
  • HQ Youtube videos
  • USB internet.
  • Radio FM

Working:

• Languajes: ALL SUPPORTED
  • Everthing else :P

Not Tested:

- Audio recording

- Video Playing (due to same camera issue)

- mms (thanks Raquel ;) )

Instructions:

• It requires Android 4+ installed (I recomend ICS due stability), With USB debug mode enabled.
  • Do ALL WIPES AND FORMAT ALL DATA (SD card not obligatory)
  • enter your device in fasboot mode (turn off your mobile, press and hold VOL- & Power during 15 seconds, after thar release the keys).
  • Plug your device to your PC.
  • Flash vía fastboot the 3 images:

example:

fastboot system system.img
fastboot boot boot.img
fastboot userdata userdata.img

After that, just restart your device:

fastboot reboot

DOWLOAD:

Alpha 2 CLICK HERE

Alpha 1 CLICK HERE

SOURCE:

B2G: https://github.com/cristomc/B2G

Manifest: https://github.com/cristomc/b2g-manifest

Device: https://github.com/cristomc/android_device_huawei_u8815

Propietary: https://github.com/cristomc/proprietary_vendor_huawei

CREDITS & Thanks to:

Dazz: Main git repo and base sources. 90% of credits for him

NOTE: Please ask for make derivated sources... If you do it mention Our Work (Dazzo and mine), I'm doing this for learning-

I'm not winning $$ for doing this... but if you want, you can click on the next link and help me to buy a beer during compilations :)

Give a donation (thank you in advance :) )

Edited by daredj

TO-DO for Next Release:

1. Fix Video problems (if I find the way).
  2. Find battery drain (should last more than now...)
Edited by daredj

Changelog

Alpha2 (6-12-2013):

• Based on my own sources (forked from great dazz work)
  • Fixed DPI and small lags
  • Production release - no more dev apps in the rom ;)
  • Support for all languajes.
Edited by daredj

Well link up, give me some time to take a rest, i spend this last 24 hours in learn how to make it possible...

PS: it's alpha until getting camera fixed, will stay on beta until final release of 1.2

Guest djuroue

I think that command is fastboot flash system system.img .... Can it be flashed without command FLASH ?!

What do you think about camera?! Is fixing of it a big deal or too hard ?!

I am really looking forward to this one :)

Good work.

I see DPI issue too.

For example the status bar is incredible thin.

Look at the screenshots of FirefoxOS on firefox os site.

On your screenshots, everithyng is smaller.

You should fix this for the release version. ;)

Actually it looks more promising than I expected. Of course this OS lacks apps greatly due to its youth) I'm looking forward to trying a more mature variant of firefox os. Thanks for your work :)

Guest djuroue

Sometimes waking up device can be hard... When i click power button, nothing happens, just button lights show up, and nothing else... Then i click volume buttons and screen turns on .... :)

Camera works with revision v1.0.0 but not after. The power button issue got fixed recently in master (v1.3). I would start the port with gaia/gecko rev 1.1.0hd which is pretty stable (to get rid of test apps use export PRODUCTION=1 and export GAIA_DEV_PIXELS_PER_PX=1.5 in .userconfig for correct DPI) and figure out the camera and everything else from there.

Good luck.

One thing I forgot related to correct DPI, for some reason the DPI is not picked up by the system you must add it manually in /gecko/widget/gonk/nsWindow.cpp:

at about line 500+ replace float dpi = GetDPI() with float dpi = 240.0 as below:

double
nsWindow::GetDefaultScaleInternal()
{
    float dpi = 240.0;
    // The mean pixel density for mdpi devices is 160dpi, 240dpi for hdpi,
    // and 320dpi for xhdpi, respectively.
    // We'll take the mid-value between these three numbers as the boundary.
    if (dpi < 200.0) {
        return 1.0; // mdpi devices.
    }
    if (dpi < 280.0) {
        return 1.5; // hdpi devices.
    }
    return 2.0; // xhdpi devices.
}

Edited by celrau

Guest djuroue

Thank you for answering. I will try something... Is firefox os having some root access or it's system files can be normally edited ?! What file manager should we use ?!

Camera works with revision v1.0.0 but not after. The power button issue got fixed recently in master (v1.3). I would start the port with gaia/gecko rev 1.1.0hd which is pretty stable (to get rid of test apps use export PRODUCTION=1 and export GAIA_DEV_PIXELS_PER_PX=1.5 in .userconfig for correct DPI) and figure out the camera and everything else from there.

Good luck.

One thing I forgot related to correct DPI, for some reason the DPI is not picked up by the system you must add it manually in /gecko/widget/gonk/nsWindow.cpp:

at about line 500+ replace float dpi = GetDPI() with float dpi = 240.0 as below:

double
nsWindow::GetDefaultScaleInternal()
{
    float dpi = 240.0;
    // The mean pixel density for mdpi devices is 160dpi, 240dpi for hdpi,
    // and 320dpi for xhdpi, respectively.
    // We'll take the mid-value between these three numbers as the boundary.
    if (dpi < 200.0) {
        return 1.0; // mdpi devices.
    }
    if (dpi < 280.0) {
        return 1.5; // hdpi devices.
    }
    return 2.0; // xhdpi devices.
}

Thank you for the info, i knew that about screen, but i think that is not fully working, in 1.1hd (i compiled first too), there are some apps with problems with touch events, now I'll make this with v1.2, but if error appears again we must find other solution...

Preparing everything for alpha 2 ;)

Guest plewis1981

Hi all, I realy want to give this ROM a try but I have never used ADB Fast boot. I found this guide on how to set up ADB but I am at a loss as to what I have to do once its set up, as far as how do I put the phone into debug mode, where on my laptop should place the .img files and what commands do I need to install.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-set-up-android-adb-and-fastboot-on-windows-tutorial/

Sorry for the noobish questions, i have always managed without ADB untill now, but i am eager to learn so any advice or links would be grate. Thanks in advance.

Not that hard, really. First check if the command fastboot works. Download the .img files and put them in a folder. Power off the phone, press volume-down and power, you will see the Huawei logo, keep pressing the buttons for like 15 sec., plug the usb cable and connect to the computer, do a test command: fastboot devices which should return a number if all is ok. Then for each one of the 3  .img do: fastboot flash /path/to/file-name.img. Finish by doing: fastboot reboot. If you get stuck on the logo remove the battery for a few sec. and start the phone again.