Kit Kat for Nexus 4

Guest GOlteanu

Guest GOlteanu

Hello guys,

I'm a new Nexus 4 user (since yesterday) and upgraded from Android 4.2.2 to 4.3, and now I see that an update to 4.4 Kit Kat is available.

I've read somewere online that it isn't so good for the N4, and I was wondering, is it worth updating or just stick with 4.3?

Hello guys,

I'm a new Nexus 4 user (since yesterday) and upgraded from Android 4.2.2 to 4.3, and now I see that an update to 4.4 Kit Kat is available.

I've read somewere online that it isn't so good for the N4, and I was wondering, is it worth updating or just stick with 4.3?

I'm a new Nexus 4 user too (about 2 weeks). Running stock Kitkat 4.4 (KRT16s build). Works great for me. I like it. But then I've never used 4.3 on a Nexus.

It comes without the Google Experience launcher you can find that here http://www.modaco.com/topic/366538-googlehomeapk/

Edited by Guest

Guest bladebuddy

Hello guys,

Also a nexus 4 user and to be truthful I wasn't overly impressed with stock 4.4 cannot stand hangouts and miss the network indicators on the signal strength bar. Installed cataclysm custom rom and my mind changed , super smooth running ART and hellscore kernel, battery good and my indicators are back. Also changed hangouts for 8mms apk l, like stock messaging app! Wouldn't go back now. Fastest phone ever.Try a custom .

Also a nexus 4 user and to be truthful I wasn't overly impressed with stock 4.4 cannot stand hangouts and miss the network indicators on the signal strength bar. Installed cataclysm custom rom and my mind changed , super smooth running ART and hellscore kernel, battery good and my indicators are back. Also changed hangouts for 8mms apk l, like stock messaging app! Wouldn't go back now. Fastest phone ever.Try a custom .

Can you explain what ART is? 

No worries. I've answered my own question.  :D

http://source.android.com/devices/tech/dalvik/art.html

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/new-runtime-compiler-in-android-4-4/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2508707

Edited by Guest

Guest bladebuddy

Can you explain what ART is?

ART is android run time. Normally when opening apps e.t.c information is written in the dalvic cache , which uses more processing power and time. As a result things don't run as smooth as they could. ART is now released on 4.4 as an early development option and does away with that . If you Google it you will get more info.

If you run into problems using ART as some have you can flash the moto dalvic patch instead which optimizes dalvic to run just as fast , but I personally think ART has the edge.

Sounds complicated but its no different from flashing a patch through recovery ( for motor patch only) .

ART is found in the developer options on your phone, switch to it and your phone reboots and takes a while as it optimizes your apps.

After you choose one of the above your phone should be as smooth as an iPhone or windows phone.

Just Google and you will get it as there is loads of info on the subject who can explain it better then me.

Hope this helps. J:D

ART is android run time. Normally when opening apps e.t.c information is written in the dalvic cache , which uses more processing power and time. As a result things don't run as smooth as they could. ART is now released on 4.4 as an early development option and does away with that . If you Google it you will get more info.

If you run into problems using ART as some have you can flash the moto dalvic patch instead which optimizes dalvic to run just as fast , but I personally think ART has the edge.

Sounds complicated but its no different from flashing a patch through recovery ( for motor patch only) .

ART is found in the developer options on your phone, switch to it and your phone reboots and takes a while as it optimizes your apps.

After you choose one of the above your phone should be as smooth as an iPhone or windows phone.

Just Google and you will get it as there is loads of info on the subject who can explain it better then me.

Hope this helps. J:D

Thank you. 1+ to you! That's a better summary than those that I googled. 

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
Guest hugobosslives

you not running into any problems buddy?

when i tried it out on a stockish build from aosp about 2 weeks ago i had quite a few crashes and lock ups.

maybe they have sorted this out now on 4.4.2?

you not running into any problems buddy?

when i tried it out on a stockish build from aosp about 2 weeks ago i had quite a few crashes and lock ups.

maybe they have sorted this out now on 4.4.2?

I installed 4.4.2 Cataclysm ROM with ART running about 3 days ago and not had a single problem with it so far. Everything runs smoothly and no crashes / lockups.

Just using the default kernal that it came with.