European OTA roll out started (UK is a go!)

Guest jusumgeezer

Just done the update now- retail version... Make sure your battery is well charged or on mains !!

Anyone care to upload the update.zip before they upgrade?

My Tesco 16Gb with the UK retail just got the update.

Downloads fine and then reboots. Starts to install until it says error and reboots back to 4.3.

Do I need to unlock the boot loader or remove the root on the phone? I'd rather not load a ROM on and lose all my data.

Guest Simon O

UK Retail OTA update: Blur_Version.174.44.9.falcon_umts.Retail.en.GB.zip
UK Tesco OTA update: Blur_Version.174.44.9.falcon_umts.TescoSL.en.GB.zip

Either install through the stock recovery using adb sideload or copy to the phone and update from Settings > About Phone > Software update

If you are rooted, running custom recovery or have made any other changes to your phone software such as using Xposed then you'll need to revert to stock or the update will fail. Stock roms can be found at http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14

~Rob: You can't update if you are rooted since it has modified the system partition. You need to revert back to stock.

Same as what I was on - why did I get it and you didn't then ? 

One thing - have you rooted your phone ? If so, you'll need to unroot it. 

Do you have a link for unrooting the Moto G (I used Paul's method 2 to root it) ?

Guest Lazaroid

If you are rooted, running custom recovery or have made any other changes to your phone software such as using Xposed then you'll need to revert to stock or the update will fail. Stock roms can be found at http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=14

~Rob: You can't update if you are rooted since it has modified the system partition. You need to revert back to stock.

Is adding the superuser apk all that has changed in /system? I might have a go at removing that later and then having another go with the OTA update...

My final goal is probably installing CM but I thought I'd give stock Kitkat a go first (with the minimal amount of complete wipes!).

Guest Fedroid

174.44.9.falcon_umts.EURetailSL.en.EU

I have received OTA update today. Yoigo's Moto G from Spain.

Now I am on version 174.44.9.falcon_umts.EURetailSL.en.EU (Stock KitKat 4.4.2)

Before I was on version 14.81.2.falcon_umts.EURetailSL.en.EU (Stock JellyBean 4.3 with parsing error bug)

Bye bye Parsing Error victory.gif

Note: I have tried to pick up the OTA update before installing it to share with everybody but I have not been successful.

I am not rooted nor unloked, etc... just Stuck on Stock :) for warranty reasons (Two years and two tears!).

How could I manage next time for sharing the OTA?

(Thanks button pressed in advance :P)

Thanks, so I need to flash the stock retail and then OTA?

Is adding the superuser apk all that has changed in /system? I might have a go at removing that later and then having another go with the OTA update...

My final goal is probably installing CM but I thought I'd give stock Kitkat a go first (with the minimal amount of complete wipes!).

I've just uninstalled XPosed and superuser but still no joy using the default method. I'm regretting ever rooting it now  :unsure:

Guest professordes

Anyone fancy posting a CWM installable .zip of the 4.4.2 retail GB update?

I have a rooted retail handset which had a CWM recovery on it. Simply restoring the stock recovery and whipping off the superuser wasn't enough to persuade the 4.4.2 OTA to install either by letting it reboot or by trying it directly from the stock recovery. I'm reluctant to go back to zero with a stock 4.3 ROM :)

Guest wosun008

UK Retail OTA update: Blur_Version.174.44.9.falcon_umts.Retail.en.GB.zip

UK Tesco OTA update: Blur_Version.174.44.9.falcon_umts.TescoSL.en.GB.zip

Either install through the stock recovery using adb sideload or copy to the phone and update from Settings > About Phone > Software update

Thanks

Tesco 16GB rooted  unlocked and bootloader unlocked, flashed the Retail UK version ( not Tesco U ) , got the update done.

Thanks

Tesco 16GB rooted  unlocked and bootloader unlocked, flashed the Retail UK version ( not Tesco U ) , got the update done.

So you successfully flashed the retail 4.4 on top of a rooted & unlocked Tesco 4.3 ROM? Did you use stock recovery or CWM?

Quoting myself, but I think that this will do the trick:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2542219

I had a problem using this method that doesn't seem to have affected anyone else, from linux and using individual commands rather than a script the instructions tell you to use:-

mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk1

mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk2

mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk3

Which caused me no end of failures until I discovered that the stock UK retail image I was using actually required:-

mfastboot flash system system.img

In place of the three lines above, not seen it mentioned anywhere else, so I wouldnt recommend trying it unless you ncounter a problem with that part of the process.

Guest Lazaroid

I had a problem using this method that doesn't seem to have affected anyone else, from linux and using individual commands rather than a script the instructions tell you to use:-

mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk1

mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk2

mfastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk3

Which caused me no end of failures until I discovered that the stock UK retail image I was using actually required:-

mfastboot flash system system.img

In place of the three lines above, not seen it mentioned anywhere else, so I wouldnt recommend trying it unless you ncounter a problem with that part of the process.

I'm going to try just flashing the system.img to start with to see if that lets the OTA install...

Then maybe the stock recovery as well... The fully back to stock, I suppose!

EDIT: I ended up downloading stock ROM and (after checking the flashall.sh script to convince myself that it didn't wipe anything) just ran flashall.sh and that all updated fine back to the stock 4.3, and then it happily installed the OTA update. All data, etc. intact at the end which is exactly what I was hoping to manage,

Edited by Lazaroid

Guest jazzuk777

Noticed on different thread here, someone reckons that KitKat doesn't support OTG anymore? Haven't tried it myself but this could be annoying if true...

Guest wosun008

So you successfully flashed the retail 4.4 on top of a rooted & unlocked Tesco 4.3 ROM? Did you use stock recovery or CWM?

I use the stock recovery

Guest MickJack

Just completed same - thanks to those above - rooted & unlocked Tesco that would not install ota update to 4.4, flashed standard rom as sticky thread, half hour later offered ota update, downloaded & installed with no problems, lost photo's & music from so backup any thing you need to keep.

Now to play with kitkat ;-)

Guest MrPuddington

I got my update Wednesday morning. It looks good, but the battery performance is terrible. And it is not just the statistics, the battery is empty after less than 2 days of standby. It may have to do with the location services? I will try a few options.

Guest h@mster81

I got my update Wednesday morning. It looks good, but the battery performance is terrible. And it is not just the statistics, the battery is empty after less than 2 days of standby. It may have to do with the location services? I will try a few options.

Turn Google location service off and change location from high accuracy to device only.

Guest MrPuddington

Turn Google location service off and change location from high accuracy to device only.

Yes, I turned it off, and now the battery life is again about 10% for one day standby, slightly more during bad reception. I also charged the battery full to reset the battery stats, and turned off WiFi, but I think those are not crucial changes.

With the device only or battery saving setting, is the battery life still good?

And it seems that with WiFi on, the phone wakes up much more often, what seems like every minute - very much like Android 4.2. Under Android 4.3, it would only wake up every 5 minutes, I think. Is there anything I can do about it, or is it unimportant?