[DEV][ROM][24.01.14] CyanogenMod 11 (Android 4.4.2)

Guest gbosh

Ok, well, that's discouraging (same phone over here). Since I hadn't had much practice in doing any of that stuff, GoogleFu is going to have to be activated.

Back on the topic, anyone having problems with transparent status bar? I checked framework-res.apk, the parameters there seem fine, but mine is still standard black.

If anyone managed to strip down ROM just a little bit that gapps can be included, I would appreciate if he would upload the files here, since I lucked out trying to strip the ROM myself.

Guest dodgetimmy

"Yes with a TPT I put 220 in system and 200 in data".

I cant locate this particular TPT for crescent, can you provide a direct link please OuahOuah?

Thanks

http://www.modaco.com/topic/355870-tpt-for-sf2/ here you choose your sizes :)

I choose 220 system + 200 data + 20 cache

Have you tried installing a P736V TPT on a P736E Phone? If so, great. Otherwise I wouldn't advise someone to do this, since it seems every TPT release, there are separated versions.

If anyone managed to strip down ROM just a little bit that gapps can be included, I would appreciate if he would upload the files here, since I lucked out trying to strip the ROM myself.

Not possible, the rom and gapps are already trimmed to minimum. Just change to a TPT with 220mb system.

The problem is, as discussed earlier in the thread, there are no flashable TPT's avalable for the P736E (T-Mobile Vivicity).

Your best bet with a Vivacity is to revert to stock as G-Bosh said here then you will be back at the stock TPT of 220mb system. From there you will probably need to install a recovery again using ADB and it will work.

I did contact the creator of the TPT Helper app and he mentioned that he never enabled the custom TPT option for our phones (p736v and p736e), but he did send me a version where he enabled the feature.

I have not tested this version, so use this app ....... at your own risk!!

After installing the app, open it and choose to install a CUSTOM TPT, enter something like 10 Cache, 220mb system and it should leave 210 data. Let it install the TPT, afterwards you will need to re-install the rom in recovery again.

I haven't tested this, so you may end up being in the unknown, so please be aware that if you use it, you run the risk of doing something wrong!!

Credit to the developer of TPT helper amphoras, who didn't even own a Crescent.

Edited by dodgetimmy

Guest dodgetimmy

An update to this, I tested this on my P736v and the app doesn't work. It gives an error about the device not having root. But I have had this problem with this rom from the start.

Perhaps someone else with this rom, or with a different rom can test using this app?

G-Bosh, please, if you have the time, can you investigate whats wrong with the root access of the rom? It fails when many apps need it.

There is something wrong with the root/busybox with this rom. Most apps work okay, but there seems to exist a bug when it comes to mounting /system. For example, it's not possible to install system apps because of this.

Here's an example, in this case Titanium backup works fine, but I think it detects a problem with early SU binaries on the CM11 releases.

I also read there were problems with the early releases of Koushes integrated SU into CM.

Therefore it may be solved by updating to the latest CM11 Source for SU?

S8m8pMf.png

I don't know what's wrong with root access in this build, I don't know when I'll make a new one as I'm not using the vivacity atm, but I think I might look into it next week

Edited by gbosh

Guest dodgetimmy

I don't know what's wrong with root access in this build, I don't know when I'll make a new one as I'm not using the vivacity atmosphere, but I think I might look into it next week

Atmosphere? Auto correct for ATM? :D

Thanks buddy. I love your work.

All ok except Bluetooth.

I installed the TPT as follows: System: 250mb (used 212 Free:38.24) 15% Free

Cache:  40mb (Used 1.12 Free 38.79) 96% Free

Internal  150mb(Used 116mb Free 33.80) 22% Free

SD Card 28.76gb ( Used 9.54gb Free 19.22g) 66 % Free

SD Card 2nd Part ( 0.89gb Used Free 766 mb) 83% Free / Link2SD Partitioned as Ext but came up as Fat?

I have reinstalled a lot of apps, so thats why the numbers above look pretty full.

Reverted to Fibblesans stock rom (see Antiseptics posted link), then installed via System update. Then installed 4.2.2 KitKat then Gapps 4.4

Seems slower than the 4.0.4 Molten from Gbosh but I could be wrong. Using CWM 5.2.0.7

The Bluetooth is a massive downer for me, having come so far with this phone, as I use it with headphones every da for music. If I can't get a fix (any ideas anyone PLEASE?)

I will probably revert back to 4.o4 Molten Motherboard from Gbosh (this guy is on fire!)which will be a big loss. Gbosh please step forward.

Thanks again in advance.

VS5

P:S I did not trim any apps as I do not know how.

Edited by VS5

Guest dodgetimmy

All ok except Bluetooth.

I installed the TPT as follows: System: 250mb (used 212 Free:38.24) 15% Free

Cache:  40mb (Used 1.12 Free 38.79) 96% Free

Internal  150mb(Used 116mb Free 33.80) 22% Free

SD Card 28.76gb ( Used 9.54gb Free 19.22g) 66 % Free

SD Card 2nd Part ( 0.89gb Used Free 766 mb) 83% Free / Link2SD Partitioned as Ext but came up as Fat?

I have reinstalled a lot of apps, so thats why the numbers above look pretty full.

Reverted to Fibblesans stock rom (see Antiseptics posted link), then installed via System update. Then installed 4.2.2 KitKat then Gapps 4.4

Seems slower than the 4.0.4 Molten from Gbosh but I could be wrong. Using CWM 5.2.0.7

The Bluetooth is a massive downer for me, having come so far with this phone, as I use it with headphones every da for music. If I can't get a fix (any ideas anyone PLEASE?)

I will probably revert back to 4.o4 Molten Motherboard from Gbosh (this guy is on fire!)which will be a big loss. Gbosh please step forward.

Thanks again in advance.

VS5

P:S I did not trim any apps as I do not know how.

You shouldn't need to revert to stock rom if the TPT helper app I posted is working for you.

Simply install TPT, then install new rom from recovery. You can access recovery while holding the down volume key whilst turning the phone on.

Only need to downgrade to an original rom on a Vivacity (p736e) if you need to have the original TPT with a system size of 220mb and can't install via TPT helper.

You don't need any more than 220mb system for this rom and the slim gapps posted in the OP here to fit. 250mb is a waste and could be used to extend your data partition (where you fit apps). In my opinion 10mb cache 220mb system 210mb data is the best set up.

If you want to further extend your storage space, use CWM to create an ext3/4 partition on your SD card. Make it no bigger than 1gb.

Afterwards wipe dalvik cache and factory reset and restore a backup/re-install rom.

and then install int2ext via CWM it works far better than any app. Using this method you can expand the internal memory from 220mb to almost 1gb. 

Guest dodgetimmy

I don't know what's wrong with root access in this build, I don't know when I'll make a new one as I'm not using the vivacity atmosphere, but I think I might look into it next week

I read that there was a problem with early CM11 builds and the superuser access Koush built in, apparently its been fixed now, so if you build off the latest CM11 sources, it should be fixed, (fingers crossed).

lol, your right, gotta get used to swype xD

Also the buzzing sound will be fixed in the next build.And root should be too.

Edited by gbosh

Well I'm not having any problems with root, guys, it works perfect :huh: Bluetooth is an issue, dough.

Still, I do have other problems, I tried TPT-ing my phone by running the "helper" app, which helped a lot *sarcasm*, and by flashing the stock Vivacity ROM, but that gave me a headache (couldn't flash recovery, no Windows or Linux system wouldn't recognize my phone in bootloader :blink:), causing me to flash my stock Telenor ROM, but returning the old TPT.

I do have other problems and a question for gbosh. While it's not that big of a deal, it bugs me that there's no option for transparent status bar. I tried pulling the framework-res.apk and checking there, but the translucency is set to true on both lockscreen and desktop. So, any advice on how to make it transparent?

screenshot2014-02-25-21-.pngscreenshot2014-02-25-21-.png

Anyone had luck with signing in in 3rd party apps, like YouTube?

EDIT1: Found a workaround for statusbar, all credits go to Michael Davies for posting this thread:

http://seo-michael.co.uk/transparent-status-bar-on-android-4-4-kitkat/

Edited by nemacx

Guest dodgetimmy

Well I'm not having any problems with root, guys, it works perfect :huh: Bluetooth is an issue, dough.

Still, I do have other problems, I tried TPT-ing my phone by running the "helper" app, which helped a lot *sarcasm*, and by flashing the stock Vivacity ROM, but that gave me a headache (couldn't flash recovery, no Windows or Linux system wouldn't recognize my phone in bootloader :blink:), causing me to flash my stock Telenor ROM, but returning the old TPT.

I do have other problems and a question for gbosh. While it's not that big of a deal, it bugs me that there's no option for transparent status bar. I tried pulling the framework-res.apk and checking there, but the translucency is set to true on both lockscreen and desktop. So, any advice on how to make it transparent?

screenshot2014-02-25-21-.pngscreenshot2014-02-25-21-.png

Anyone had luck with signing in in 3rd party apps, like YouTube?

EDIT1: Found a workaround for statusbar, all credits go to Michael Davies for posting this thread:

http://seo-michael.co.uk/transparent-status-bar-on-android-4-4-kitkat/

I wonder if part of the root problem is to do with the version of CWM used to install. Which version is everyone using?

As for the transparent bar, I think its been disabled because the GPU can't cope with rendering it. That's the reason its disabled on the HTC Desire anyway and that GPU is faster than the crescent asfaik.

Your issue with signing in will most likely be due to system partition size. Have you checked in an app to see how much system space you have? Also, what problems did you have with TPT helper, did you use the one I posted or from the market?

Edited by dodgetimmy

@gbosh - Excellent work, thank you for bringing life to our humble phones. To all my fellow friends in this thread, I tried installing KitKat on my T-Mobile Vivacity but I think the FnC ROM I put on it ages ago must have changed the partition sizes. So I tried the updated version of TPT Helper as kindly provided by Amphoras and brought to us by our friend Dodgetimmy in post #57. As suggested, here is what I did...

Create your own TPT > unchanged (when picking splash image) > clockworkmod v5.0.2.7 > 10 (cache size) > 220 (system size) - this left 210 for data. It unzipped and copied the files ok, but when writing partitions I got the error "Failed to copy ztepack. Please make sure you are rooted and gave superuser permissions."

I have got root and the app does have superuser permission. I tried version 4.x of CWM but still the same error. I tried a 2Mb cache with 220Mb system, still the same error. When I checked the image directory only 2 of 4 files matched...

appsboot.mbn - no match

appsboothd.mbn - match

partition.mbn - match

partition_zte.mbn - no match

So I thought maybe it's the ROM. I did all the wipes, updated CWM to 6.0.3.7, installed gbosh's 4.2.2 Slim Bean 3.1 ROM, installed the updated TPT Helper and tried again... still the same problems. I think I'm going to have to revert the phone back to stock (I think it was mentioned in an earlier post) then start from scratch... and find the thread which tells you how to get CWM into a stock phone - because, for the life of me, I can't remember how I did it all that time ago!

If I have to revert to stock, I assume I will have to root again (which once I find how to get CWM back on) I'm hoping that version 6.0.3.7 as mentioned in thread http://www.modaco.com/topic/368667-recovery-stock-cwm-6028-cwm-6037/ will do the trick... but will I have to network unlock again? If anyone knows the answer I'd be grateful, thanks.

Edit - If I do manage to get it back to stock, rooted and unlocked, at this point it would be helpful for everyone if I could get those stock partitions off the phone as an image so I can upload it here... any one point me in the direction of how I can do that?

Edited by zaxxon

Guest dodgetimmy

@gbosh - Excellent work, thank you for bringing life to our humble phones. To all my fellow friends in this thread, I tried installing KitKat on my T-Mobile Vivacity but I think the FnC ROM I put on it ages ago must have changed the partition sizes. So I tried the updated version of TPT Helper as kindly provided by Amphoras and brought to us by our friend Dodgetimmy in post #57. As suggested, here is what I did...

Create your own TPT > unchanged (when picking splash image) > clockworkmod v5.0.2.7 > 10 (cache size) > 220 (system size) - this left 210 for data. It unzipped and copied the files ok, but when writing partitions I got the error "Failed to copy ztepack. Please make sure you are rooted and gave superuser permissions."

I have got root and the app does have superuser permission. I tried version 4.x of CWM but still the same error. I tried a 2Mb cache with 220Mb system, still the same error. When I checked the image directory only 2 of 4 files matched...

appsboot.mbn - no match

appsboothd.mbn - match

partition.mbn - match

partition_zte.mbn - no match

So I thought maybe it's the ROM. I did all the wipes, updated CWM to 6.0.3.7, installed gbosh's 4.2.2 Slim Bean 3.1 ROM, installed the updated TPT Helper and tried again... still the same problems. I think I'm going to have to revert the phone back to stock (I think it was mentioned in an earlier post) then start from scratch... and find the thread which tells you how to get CWM into a stock phone - because, for the life of me, I can't remember how I did it all that time ago!

If I have to revert to stock, I assume I will have to root again (which once I find how to get CWM back on) I'm hoping that version 6.0.3.7 as mentioned in thread http://www.modaco.com/topic/368667-recovery-stock-cwm-6028-cwm-6037/ will do the trick... but will I have to network unlock again? If anyone knows the answer I'd be grateful, thanks.

Edit - If I do manage to get it back to stock, rooted and unlocked, at this point it would be helpful for everyone if I could get those stock partitions off the phone as an image so I can upload it here... any one point me in the direction of how I can do that?

Well its a shame TPT helper doesn't seem to be working, ill let Amphoras know, but I doubt there is much he can do about it, after all, he doesn't own our Phone. You never know though. When I get the chance, i'll test it on gingerbread to see if it still has the same problem.

As for going back to stock, your best bet is to use the ZTE Update tool. The tool requires the phone to be in FTM mode, but having the phone in CWM recovery while running it should work. If not, reboot into "bootloader" using CWM recovery/extended rom power menu or adb command : adb reboot bootloader. Once there, providing your driver is installed correctly in windows, the recovery tool will work and will put the latest official rom for your device (including a 220mb system partition).

The other option is to follow this guide. Which may turn out to be easier.

Once you have done that, you will have enough space to install this rom.

Beware that installing a stock rom using these methods will also place the stock recovery on the phone again. This doesn't mean you have to go through the unlocking process, but what it does mean is you will need to re-install CWM recovery. You can install CWM via adb using a .img file, again you need to be in FTM/recovery mode to do this:

First rename the CWM recovery .img file too recovery.img (make sure you download a recovery in .img and not .zip format. Then using adb again:

adb reboot bootloader
(wait for device to enter FTM on screen)
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Replacing recovery.img with the full path of where you stored it, eg c:\downloads\recovery.img

This all requires a basic knowledge of using adb, youll need adb software installed on your computer and need to make sure your phone is connected to the computer via USB. USB debugging also needs to be switched on your phone. Finally if you get stuck with any of the steps, make sure you have the ZTE driver installed on your computer. If you are having problems with your computer not recognising your phone in recovery/FTM mode. Use device manager in windows to update drivers from the internet. Be sure to have device manager to auto search windows update for drivers before you try to update it.

Once you have CWM installed, you will be able to install roms again, most roms come with root already so you don't need to do anything more. If you use a rom that doesn't have root though, like Piratedroid, you can just download a superuser or supersu from the market to root. You can also find flashable .zip files from supersu's website.

I could be wrong, but to do that is impossible I think, its separate from the ROM and recovery of the phone, so its not possible to back up.

I think the only way people have made TPT's is by creating/editing the existing stock ones using Hex values. There is a guide how to do it, but its a very long learning curve and process. I can ask Amphoras if he has any pointers to help us, but not sure.
Edited by dodgetimmy

Guest zaxxon

@dodgetimmy - A big thanks for all the info.  I think I should be able to follow everything you said.  I doubt very much that I am clever enough to be able to hex edit the stock image to create a TPT though :( ... but I'm more than happy to leave it stock before I put KitKat on, in case Amphoras wants to grab anything off my phone.  I can even connect up through TeamViewer and let him onto my laptop (with phone connected via USB) if he can/has time to try and get TPT Helper working so we can make TPT's for the Crescent.  I know it's a big ask from him, but I would love to be able to (in my own small way) give back to the Modaco community if I could.

Edited by zaxxon

Guest zaxxon

@dodgetimmy - I used the 2nd guide you suggested from here and my phone is now back to it's original T-Mobile stock (the first one didn't work for me)...

Android Version = 2.3.5

Baseband Version = P736EB01

Kernel Version = 2.6.35.7-perf+zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT

Build Number = P736EV1.0.0B04

I then installed CWM 6.0.3.7 from this thread and now my phone is ready to install KitKat... however I am going to wait before I do that, in case Amphoras does have the time to connect up to my laptop and interrogate my phone.

Side comment - when I booted into CWM - I noticed something interesting at the bottom of the screen..

Warning: No file_contexts

According to this article, it seems as though it's nothing to worry about, but thought I might mention it (just for full disclosure in case it does mean something).

Massive thank you for all your help and for taking the time to provide me with the information.  If you do get a reply from Amphoras, please let me know, it would be awesome if he could do a new version of TPT Helper so that other Crescent users can just make their own TPT directly from his magnificant app!

Guest dodgetimmy

No problem.I think that message appears when it tries to read a file from a folder on the SD card of your device, ive had it before when I have installed a recovery/tpt via the androide update folder: image. try deleting that folder if it exists or formatting your SD Card in mounts and storage/format SD. (Don't format SD-EXT)! See if that fixes it, but you are right, the message doesn't signify anything wrong, only that the file it looks for isnt there.

I just pm'd amphoras the error that we get when using his app, hopefully its enough for him to fix, if not, I don't really know how willing he will be to develop further, we will have to see but ill bare in mind what you said.

Edited by dodgetimmy

Guest zaxxon

I did mounts and storage/format SD as you suggested (and I made sure only to format SD and NOT SD-EXT), rebooted back into CWM but the message is still there... but seeing as it isn't anything to worry about, I'm not going to spend any more time on it.  Fingers crossed that you get a reply from Amphoras.

Guest dodgetimmy

Seems its just an error with the new recovery version then, I see for other phones its been fixed with later CWM releases.

Guest b166er

Hi,

Just wanted to post and say a huge thanks to gbosh for giving this phone (TMV P736E) a new lease of life :D

Kit Kat seems to run very well on this phone, even with INT2EXT+

A couple of things I noticed, zaxxon, did you try deleting the TPT Helper folder and starting from scratch? I had to do this because I had previously tried the unmodified TPT Helper from the store. It has worked successfully for me from fibblesans ROM several times.

I now have 10MB Cache, 260MB System and 457MB Data thanks to the INT2EXT+ script.

I even have to bring the phone back from bricked using the tool from harryibao at one point :)

Also, I sometimes got the keyboard AOSP kept crashing, had to format Data to fix that one.

I too get the buzzing :p

Can anyone suggest a working method for getting exchange email working with this ROM, please?

I've tried installing another GoogleEmail.apk and com.google.android.exchange apk but this method doesn't work.

The reason I tried for such a big System partition, was so I could install the biggest Gapps, but that doesn't work either, still not enough room :(

Anyway, great to see activity here for our phone :D

Guest zaxxon

@B166er - Thanks for the tip... I had the same thought as I was doing it and yes, I did indeed delete the /image folder before trying again. In fact, I changed the ROM from FnC to Slim Bean and tried again, but it didn't work for me. There is a small possibility that it's me or my phone, so I guess the real test is if someone else gets the same errors as me? As far as I can see, I don't think it should harm anyone's phone by just installing the updated version and trying to create a TPT... if it works then great, upload the /image folder... if it doesn't then just delete the /image folder. I believe the Americans refer to this as "No harm, no foul".

Edit - As for the mail issue, I don't have a corporate MS Exchange server that I can sync with to test this with, but I have heard good things about K-9 Mail (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9&hl=en_GB). Of course it all depends on the actual problem you're having, so this might not necessarily be of any help to you, but I'm told it's more configurable than the stock mail app. Hope that helps.

Edited by zaxxon