[DEV][ROM][24.01.14] CyanogenMod 11 (Android 4.4.2)

Guest gbosh

Guest dodgetimmy

Hi,

Just wanted to post and say a huge thanks to gbosh for giving this phone (TMV P736E) a new lease of life :D

Kit Kat seems to run very well on this phone, even with INT2EXT+

A couple of things I noticed, zaxxon, did you try deleting the TPT Helper folder and starting from scratch? I had to do this because I had previously tried the unmodified TPT Helper from the store. It has worked successfully for me from fibblesans ROM several times.

I now have 10MB Cache, 260MB System and 457MB Data thanks to the INT2EXT+ script.

I even have to bring the phone back from bricked using the tool from harryibao at one point :)

Also, I sometimes got the keyboard AOSP kept crashing, had to format Data to fix that one.

I too get the buzzing :p

Can anyone suggest a working method for getting exchange email working with this ROM, please?

I've tried installing another GoogleEmail.apk and com.google.android.exchange apk but this method doesn't work.

The reason I tried for such a big System partition, was so I could install the biggest Gapps, but that doesn't work either, still not enough room :(

Anyway, great to see activity here for our phone :D

Do you own a p736e or v? And what steps did you follow in tpt helper?

I ask because the custom tpt option hasn't been enabled in the market for our devices. All I can think is you used an existing pre made tpt. Something p736e user's can't do for 220mb system because there isn't one.

Also did you try using the tpt helper I posted with this rom to make a custom tpt? For two people now we get an error.

Guest dodgetimmy

Just tested the stock email app and it works fine. You'll need to check your email account is set up correctly for external access. You have to be able to enable it from your email provider first.

Also during the setup the app seems to guess your incoming and outgoing servers so perhaps it's getting them wrong and you need to manually configure.

I gave up using an email app a long time ago though. instead now I just set my gmail account to receive mails from my other accounts. It works much better and you don't have both gmail and another app waking the phone to check too. you then can just use the gmail app.it even separates the mail and let's you send mail as that address too.

TPT helper from Amphorus (five stars Amphorus, I should say) is working. Use the amended version in an earlier Dodgetimmy post above. Download this rom:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/349161-rom-flb2-completely-debranded-gb-rom-r2a/

I used this method, it may be different for you:

Boot into recovery (I used cwm 4.0+.)

Wipe data/Factory Rest

Wipe Cache Partition

Wipe Dalvik Cache

Install fibblesans r2 zip from card

Once back to this rom, I installed the amended TPT helper and used create own tpt, using 220/20/200.

Powered off into recovery, where update started and installed Gbosh 4.4.2 and Gapps

Checked storage after inserting Link2SD for the following:

System 220mb (Used 212mb) free 8.24mb

Cache 20mb (Used 1.21mb(Free 18.79mb)

Internal 200mb(used 112mb)Free 87.59mb-includes any Link2SD install

SD Card28.76gb-used 9.61gb

2nd Partition (Ext3) Total 0.89gb Used 76.23mb-Free 8.24mb

Cannot under any circumstances get Bluetooth working properly. It will not pair with my headphones (which have worked with every rom (just about) that I tried previously. Keeps saying Bluetooth share stopped or not working (although it did at one stage say that the pin etc would not work. Tried wiping cache, has not worked. Gbosh can you PLEASE help with this one? Thanks as always in advance.

VS5

PS: I suspect that the Cache could be smaller than this, or would this cause problems?

Edited by VS5

Guest dodgetimmy

TPT helper from Amphorus (five stars Amphorus, I should say) is working. Use the amended version in an earlier Dodgetimmy post above. Download this rom:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/349161-rom-flb2-completely-debranded-gb-rom-r2a/

I used this method, it may be different for you:

Boot into recovery (I used cwm 4.0+.)

Wipe data/Factory Rest

Wipe Cache Partition

Wipe Dalvik Cache

Install fibblesans r2 zip from card

Once back to this rom, I installed the amended TPT helper and used create own tpt, using 220/20/200.

Powered off into recovery, where update started and installed Gbosh 4.4.2 and Gapps

Checked storage after inserting Link2SD for the following:

System 220mb (Used 212mb) free 8.24mb

Cache 20mb (Used 1.21mb(Free 18.79mb)

Internal 200mb(used 112mb)Free 87.59mb-includes any Link2SD install

SD Card28.76gb-used 9.61gb

2nd Partition (Ext3) Total 0.89gb Used 76.23mb-Free 8.24mb

Cannot under any circumstances get Bluetooth working properly. It will not pair with my headphones (which have worked with every rom (just about) that I tried previously. Keeps saying Bluetooth share stopped or not working (although it did at one stage say that the pin etc would not work. Tried wiping cache, has not worked. Gbosh can you PLEASE help with this one? Thanks as always in advance.

VS5

PS: I suspect that the Cache could be smaller than this, or would this cause problems?

Great to see its working on gingerbread. I haven't come across any issues with a small cache on android4+ roms, it was only a problem in gingerbread when you tried to download an app larger than its cache, that seems to be fixed now though.

Guest zaxxon

Umm... if you have managed to create a custom TPT for the Crescent (TMV P736E) - then if you deleted your /image folder and created a new one with 10 cache, 220 system and 210 data, in theory, couldn't you upload the /image folder here - then other Crescent users could flash their phone with that TPT (or am I missing something obvious which means that wouldn't work)?  In my case, Dodgetimmy came to my rescue and guided me through the process of getting back to stock (which gave me my stock partitions back), but to save others that elongated procedure, a TPT with those partition sizes would be just the ticket for other Crescent users.

According to Amphoras the image bin should be deleted after flashing, which is what I did. But if you go back to Fibblesan,s rom you will definately get the same result, by installing it first followed by tpt amended helper. One of the posts earlier from Antiseptic used a 250 system which was installed via system update using the fibblesan rom ( which I also did using the ready made tpt, but decided I would later go the custom route).

Guest zaxxon

@VS5 - The reason it is recommended to delete the /image folder is in case you ever press the button sequence accidentally when powering on your phone (as it would flash the TPT again).  It is perfectly safe to launch the amended TPT Helper, create the custom TPT (10/200/210), grab the /image foler off the phone, then delete it from the phone afterwards (essentially cut/paste as opposed to copy/paste from phone to PC).  In fact I have left the /image folder on my phone many a time.

My apologies, I forgot you mentioned that you had upgraded to KitKat already.  I am just waiting on Amphoras to reply to our friend Dodgetimmy in case he wants my stock phone for some testing... but if he doesn't then I will indeed follow the route you suggested and pull the /image folder off my phone before I upgrade to KitKat... in fact if I can get it working then I might just create several different TPT partition images and upload them here so they are available for future reference and usage.

Guest nemacx

Do you own a p736e or v? And what steps did you follow in tpt helper?

I ask because the custom tpt option hasn't been enabled in the market for our devices. All I can think is you used an existing pre made tpt. Something p736e user's can't do for 220mb system because there isn't one.

Also did you try using the tpt helper I posted with this rom to make a custom tpt? For two people now we get an error.

P736. I tried getting TPT helper to work, but unfortunately couldn't. If I remember correctly, I choose CyanogenMod based TPT for T-Mobile Vivacity, but don't hold me on that 'cause I honestly don't remember correctly.

What I mentioned in my previous post is that I tried flashing my device with this guide but that gave me the desired partition sizes, but, deleting the CWM gave me a headache since my phone couldn't and still isn't recognized in bootloader by my laptop or my other two computers, regardless of which driver I tried using for it or the OS.

I also tried making my own TPT, experimented a bit with the values, but nothing seemed to work. It's not that big of a deal since I see the benefit of not having the boring gapps (which aren't used by me that often) installed, but small programs like AdAway etc. require a bit of /system memory to function properly. I'll give it a try again when I'm bored with all that or when gbosh gets the ART working :-D

EDIT1: Well the signing in problem is either the absence of gapps or the lack of /system storage, honestly, no clue, but it's not that big of a deal.

IF someone found a way to bypass the problem, that would be nice though :-D

Anyone experimented with the CPU "mins/maxs"? Battery life around 24-36h with SmartassV2 122mHz/940mHz, but everything above that either restarts the phone or gives slim or none system stability.

Edited by nemacx

Guest dodgetimmy

Should I try 10mb for cache, or would there be no advantage?

.......any hints on Bluetooth?

It would be an advantage because you could allocate that free 10mb to system or data if you need it. An extra 10mb to data may mean with int2ext you can have almost 1gb of spare app space rather than 512mb. If you don't know what I am talking about, I wouldn't bother.

Bluetooth as far as I know hasn't worked on any android 4+ rom, not reliably so any way.Search the forum threads here for all roms higher than Gingerbread and most, if not all mention bluetooth isnt working. If blueooth is important to you, stick with gingerbread.

Umm... if you have managed to create a custom TPT for the Crescent (TMV P736E) - then if you deleted your /image folder and created a new one with 10 cache, 220 system and 210 data, in theory, couldn't you upload the /image folder here - then other Crescent users could flash their phone with that TPT (or am I missing something obvious which means that wouldn't work)?  In my case, Dodgetimmy came to my rescue and guided me through the process of getting back to stock (which gave me my stock partitions back), but to save others that elongated procedure, a TPT with those partition sizes would be just the ticket for other Crescent users.

@VS5 - The reason it is recommended to delete the /image folder is in case you ever press the button sequence accidentally when powering on your phone (as it would flash the TPT again).  It is perfectly safe to launch the amended TPT Helper, create the custom TPT (10/200/210), grab the /image foler off the phone, then delete it from the phone afterwards (essentially cut/paste as opposed to copy/paste from phone to PC).  In fact I have left the /image folder on my phone many a time.

My apologies, I forgot you mentioned that you had upgraded to KitKat already.  I am just waiting on Amphoras to reply to our friend Dodgetimmy in case he wants my stock phone for some testing... but if he doesn't then I will indeed follow the route you suggested and pull the /image folder off my phone before I upgrade to KitKat... in fact if I can get it working then I might just create several different TPT partition images and upload them here so they are available for future reference and usage.

If someone with a p736e did go back to gingerbread and use TPT helper to do this, it would be of great help. I didn't know even that TPT helper left the image folder there.

I doubt that amphoras will be keen to fix this for our roms, but please don't wait on it. If any testing needs to be done I don't mind doing it. Don't hold back waiting for a developer, you could be waiting forever xD

P736. I tried getting TPT helper to work, but unfortunately couldn't. If I remember correctly, I choose CyanogenMod based TPT for T-Mobile Vivacity, but don't hold me on that 'cause I honestly don't remember correctly.

What I mentioned in my previous post is that I tried flashing my device with this guide but that gave me the desired partition sizes, but, deleting the CWM gave me a headache since my phone couldn't and still isn't recognized in bootloader by my laptop or my other two computers, regardless of which driver I tried using for it or the OS.

I also tried making my own TPT, experimented a bit with the values, but nothing seemed to work. It's not that big of a deal since I see the benefit of not having the boring gapps (which aren't used by me that often) installed, but small programs like AdAway etc. require a bit of /system memory to function properly. I'll give it a try again when I'm bored with all that or when gbosh gets the ART working :-D

EDIT1: Well the signing in problem is either the absence of gapps or the lack of /system storage, honestly, no clue, but it's not that big of a deal.

IF someone found a way to bypass the problem, that would be nice though :-D

Anyone experimented with the CPU "mins/maxs"? Battery life around 24-36h with SmartassV2 122mHz/940mHz, but everything above that either restarts the phone or gives slim or none system stability.

You quoted a post I made directed to someone else, but I guess it doesn't matter. Please find out for sure if you own a p736v or e. The v and e are important when it comes to flashing roms/tpts. For you it should be the e model.

Yes the signing in problem is with gapps, you need the google play services app along with google play (i think) from gapps to be able to sign in to google services on your phone. Theres no doubting it, you will need the gapps installed.

I don't know, because you are not clear. Do you have a 220mb system partition right now? If so, you can install gapps.

If you can't install a CWM recovery, please follow the steps I gave in an earlier post:

Note!! Its essential that you follow the instructions I listed below in bold. If you're computer isn't recognising your device correctly in CWM/Bootloader, you need to follow these.- How do I know? I had the same problem myself and this fixed it. The problem is to do with different USB drivers and Windows 8.

First rename the CWM recovery .img file too recovery.img (make sure you download a recovery in .img and not .zip format. Then using adb again:

adb reboot bootloader

(wait for device to enter FTM on screen)

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

Replacing recovery.img with the full path of where you stored it, eg c:\downloads\recovery.img

This all requires a basic knowledge of using adb, youll need adb software installed on your computer and need to make sure your phone is connected to the computer via USB. USB debugging also needs to be switched on your phone. Finally if you get stuck with any of the steps, make sure you have the ZTE driver installed on your computer. If you are having problems with your computer not recognising your phone in recovery/FTM mode. Use device manager in windows to update drivers from the internet. Be sure to have device manager to auto search windows update for drivers before you try to update it.

When you plug in your phone in CWM/bootloader, take a look in device manager. You will see it appear, most likely with an error. It is this driver you need to update using the instructions above.

As far as your battery life goes, thats fantastic. I get 12h max on my phone.

Most of all the answers here are covered in this forum or even this thread, please everyone take the time to read through it before asking questions. Its useful, trust me.

Edited by dodgetimmy

Guest zaxxon

Well - I installed this ROM as suggested and I am happy to say that I am now able to create TPT's for the Vivacity (P736E).  It would appear that I can create any size needed (within the parameters of what the amended TPT Helper will allow me to).  So to start with, the one that we need for this lovely sweet KitKat goodness... 10Mb Cache, 220Mb System and 210Mb Data.  Please click here to download the file. You should get a file called P736E_10C_220S_210D.zip (MD5 e73bdcfd2f771a751e50bbfa711ed27c).

Unzip the file and you will get a folder called image (the folder should contain the following files)...

53,384 bytes appsboot.mbn
40 bytes appsboothd.mbn
3,719,168 bytes boot.img
7,497,880 bytes image.bin
200 bytes nandroid.md5
464 bytes partition.mbn
280 bytes partition_zte.mbn
4,794,368 bytes recovery.img
4,224 bytes system.img

Total = 9 Files (16,070,008 bytes)

NOTE - I have replaced CWM 5.0.2.7 that comes with TPT Helper with version 6.0.3.7 from this thread.

Fingers crossed you should now be able flash this TPT image to give you the partition sizes that will let you install this amazing ROM.  There are threads in this forum which tell you how to do it, but I believe if you copy the image folder to the root of your SD card, you should be able to power off, hold MENU & VOL+ then power on and it should flash the TPT and then boot into CWM - if it doesn't work then ask - I might not be able to help you but there are people in this forum who are much smarter than I am and might be able to help you.

The reason for the silly naming convention is this - I am going to create a few different size TPT's and upload them as well.

I hope this works - but as with everything posted in these forums, this is done entirely at your own risk.  Make sure you have the ability to recover your phone into a working condition before you attempt to flash this TPT as worst case scenario, flashing a bad TPT could brick your phone and might need you to use the ZTE Recovery Tool to recover your phone to stock.

Edited by zaxxon

Guest zaxxon

OK - so as promised, here are some variants of the TPT image...

P736E_2C_220S_218D.zip (2mb Cache / 220Mb System / 218Mb Data)
MD5 19af01c9ad8499c9fd0a4bb0ecd368b4

P736E_4C_220S_216D.zip (4mb Cache / 220Mb System / 216Mb Data)
MD5 68e5bc2f25402500296b8d34c6bbb363

P736E_6C_220S_214D.zip (6mb Cache / 220Mb System / 214Mb Data)
MD5 68173119f535f7150216451ee0cc8299

P736E_8C_220S_212D.zip (8mb Cache / 220Mb System / 212Mb Data)
MD5 5d4b830e7e9e63325bf6ac32db288be6

If anyone wants a specific TPT then please let me know (offer available for a limited time only).  I can offer anything with the following permutations:

CWM v4.0.1.5
CWM v5.0.2.7
CWM v6.0.2.8
CWM v6.0.3.7

Cache from 2Mb to 60Mb
System from 90Mb to 260Mb

Data... well this will depend on what sizes you pick for cache and system, but to give you the exact figure for data, the calculation will be 440-(cache+system)...

e.g. If you pick 10Mb cache and 200Mb system then data will be 440-(10+200) = 230Mb Data

As far as I know, the different size Data partitions won't really make much difference with int2ext as they should all give you about 1Gb of space for apps anyway (if you look at the original XDA thread here, you will see that it's about 5x the size of the data partition) so seeing as they are all above 200Mb, then you should get about 1Gb for apps with all of them.

Edited by zaxxon

In summary, these ready made zips posted above are good. (If they don't install for any reason you can use the System Update route). If they are not tailored for you, then refer to post #78 where you can make your own TPT's any size by dialling in your own sizes.By the way Dodgetimmy, if you are in contact with Amphorus, give him a big thumbs up from all of us. He was always on the right path, and his amended TPT cracked it for all of us. Albeit via a route through gingerbread! The Fibblesan r2 worked for me when none of the other roms did.

Guest zaxxon

@VS5 - Excellent point, thanks, I didn't know about that option... but I do have 1 question (not for VS5 but anyone) - I can see the System Updates option in the ROM I have temporarily installed to create these TPT's, but is that option available in all ROM's?  I have just checked the same place (Settings > About Phone) on my ZTE Blade with this version of KitKat but I don't see the System Updates option.  The official page from the great Amphoras himself says that powering on with MENU & VOL+ should read the image folder, partition the phone and then launch CWM.

But we Crescent users have a soft MENU button not a hard one, so I am wondering if that method will actually work?  If anyone with a Crescent (P736E) could actually confirm that they have successfully managed to flash a TPT by holding down MENU & VOL+ whilst powering on, I would be interested to hear... because if not, then we have only 1 option... find a ROM (like this one) which has the System Updates option, then grab one of the above TPT's and install it via Settings > About Phone > System Updates.

Edited by zaxxon

When Antiseptic in post #26 used sytem update, to get the 250mb TPT, we did not have access to the amended TPT. The System Update used was on earlier roms, not sure which ones still had it after. gb. Hence the reason for going back to the fibblesan rom to take advantage of it, but now you can still go back to gb first, use amended TPT, reboot into cwm and choose your rom while the TPT updates to your own custom sizes.I have always used the start button with + held down (or is it minus, forgotton for now) then into CWM. Once you select your new rom(eg: 4.4.2) via soft buttons the update works, then when it starts you are open with the new rom and new TPT. The soft keys for the orange coloured menu is used once you have got into cwm, for choosing zips etc then rebooting. The Vivacity/Crescent has usually gone this route from thhe start. Different for SF11 users as they dont have the same button layout.

Guest zaxxon

@VS5 - You are absolutely right, VOL- (volume down) and power on will get you into CWM... but I would like to hear from any one with a P736E who has managed to flash a TPT with MENU & VOL+ when powering on as I honestly don't see how it could work with a soft MENU button (it didn't for me when I tried it) :wacko:.  It would be great if other P736E users didn't have to resort to installing an older ROM just so they can use the System Updates feature to get the correct partition sizes.

Guest zaxxon

@Gbosh - thank you. I think Dodgetimmy's problem about root (as mentioned in post #44 and #58) relates to the problem I was having when using the amended TPT Helper. I mentioned in one of my earlier posts that I got an error about 'ztepack' when trying to create a TPT on Slim Bean. I had the same error when I tried on stock... but I actually dug a little deeper on the stock ROM. The image folder was actually created and so was a file called 'ztepack' (found on the root of the SD card). Obviously in a stock ROM there is no root or SU, so that's why it failed, but then when I installed flb2-r2a ROM and tried making TPT's again, it worked. So I honestly believe the only reason it's failing is the same thing that Dodgetimmy found. My phone still has flb2-r2a on it if you want to connect up via Team Viewer to my laptop and interrogate the phone.

Guest zaxxon

Also, I believe that stock partition size of cache is something around 50/60Mb... massive waste which could go towards a larger data partition... so I think that someone with stock partitions would still be better off using one of the custom TPT's as it would mean they would get around 1Gb SD-EXT instead of around 750Mb with stock... but I could be wrong (the wife says I usually am).

Guest dodgetimmy

I guess the benefit of a few extra data mb is small, but I'm quite sure that the ratio of int2ext isn't a fixed amount. eg 10 mb extra accounts for 50 extra of space. when it comes to the zip files, don't get confused. They aren't in a flashable zip file in cwm. So has anyone tested these tpts? what about testing the image folders created by a failed iteration on this rom? Btw flashing the tpt on boot can be quite fiddly. You hold volume up,menu and then press and hold the on/off switch. If you have done it right you won't see the green droid but instead a green progress line. the other method is system update. On more modern roms it seems to be missing? Also, does anyone know how you can make a flashable zip out of these toots.

Edited by dodgetimmy

Guest zaxxon

@Dodgetimmy - I will be testing the first one I made in post #86 imminently (via System Update as MENU & VOL+ at power on does nothing for me).  I'm just waiting on Gbosh to see if he wants to interrogate my phone in it's current state.  As I am currently on flb2-r2a with stock partitions, before I install KitKat, I am definitely going to change my partition sizes so that I can move the unused allocation from cache into the data partition.  As you have correctly said, it might not look like much of a gain in data (an extra 50Mb or so), but it does give us approximately 5x that when using int2ext (that 50Mb equates to about 250Mb or so for the SD-EXT partition) - well according to the XDA thread it's roughly a 5x gain.

I can't test flashing a failed iteration as I deleted the bad one I had, sorry.  Are you wondering if it would have worked anyway?  I guess I can try flashing a failed one if someone wants to make one for me (please don't make one if you are a P736V user) - but unless you have a really good theory behind wanting to perfom the test, I would rather not to be honest :)

I guess if you really thought the test would be worth the trouble, worst case scenario, if it didn't work I guess I could just recover the phone back to stock again, then flash one of the TPT's I made, then flash KitKat.  But seeing as we have some good TPT images now (well that's still to be confirmed I suppose) and seeing as your discovery about the BusyBox problem is (I think) the same reason why we were failing to use the amended TPT Helper, hopefully it might allow Gbosh to track down the problem... so I am really hoping you won't want me to test a failed iteration :D

Edited by zaxxon

Guest dodgetimmy

So I just made a cwm backup of this rom.

then used tpt helper to create a custom tpt.

I tried flashing the tpt upon boot and it didn't work.

So I downloaded a working tpt and tested that during boot and it installed fine.

to be certain I tested again with the tpt helper image. This time I removed all files but image.bin from the image folder and it still didn't flash.

what this concludes is you can't use the tpt created by tpt helper to manually flash. At least when tpt helper fails on this rom.

I hope that this isn't the case for the tpts made using tpt helper successfully. however since it seems people aren't seeing anything when holding home,v+ and power that it may just not work.

only way to be sure for p736e user's would to be to do what I did with the tpt helper made tpts and also try it with a working tpt on the forum (all be it a 200mb system one). I really hope I'm wrong but it's a possibility we are jumping the gun here.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/v3b0b10i3tawogf/T-Mob%20Viv1.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/view/53x4bzvsejhs41w/T-Mob%20Viv2.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/view/v3b0b10i3tawogf/T-Mob_Viv1.jpg

This is a TPT using TPT helper where I used the custom sizes from within the app to repartition. Its working in 4.4.2 at the moment although I

have not had time to link any files. Its 220-10-210. Rather than putting up ready made versions, I would prefer to instal from within

the TPT Helper myself and creating your own TPT,its better (for me anyway) to use this method rather than installing using Zips. I just think

there's less chance of bricking your phone this way, unless someone wants to try the ready made zips on their 736e.

VS5

Guest dodgetimmy

So any martyr with an 736e tried any of the TPT helper created apks compared to ones we know work?

Steps would be simple.

1. Make a backup in CWM of your current rom.
  2. Install a TPT from this thread, which we know works. (Follow instructions, Hold Menu and Vol+ button whilst turning on). Does this work? If so, you will see a green progress bar across screen.
  3. If works:
  4. Download a TPT created by TPT helper here. Follow the same instructions. image.bin must be located in image folder on root of SD card. When you try to install this TPT, do you see green progress bar?
  5. If original 200mb< tpt works and new tpt helper created one doesn't. You will need to download and install this rom here. Then use the TPT helper app to create your own TPT with at least 220mb system to use this rom. You can then restore your CWM Backup in step 1. Alternatively, you can install the stock rom using the ZTE upgrade too.

If you need CWM recovery back again, just use these instructions.

Edited by dodgetimmy