Ask MoDaCo: The Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Guest James Norton

Guest James Norton

Posted Image

We have a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact in for the full MoDaCo review treatment. As a reminder, this is the first super high-end Android phone with a smaller screen we have seen in quite some time, and the Z1 Compact lives up to that billing with its Snapdragon 800 chipset, 2Gb RAM, 20.7 megapixel camera, premium build and lovely 4.3" 720p screen. Just to add to the fun, it is also waterproof.

While we start putting it through its paces, I am asking myself whether I have finally found an Android phone that can replace my iPhone. What questions are you interested in?

Fire away with your questions and we will do our best to answer.

Click here to view the item

Guest James Norton

Do the bezels feel excessive?

P

Yes.  But, they are the same size bezels as the Z1 in a much smaller overall frame hence are more manageable for sure.  Sony love their bezels, no doubt.

Guest eddiewawa

This phone is on the top of my shortlist at the moment, so apologies James!

1) battery life in real world conditions - does it get through a "Full" typical days use? a combo of txt's, twitter, emails, facebook, web browsing, gaming, music and camera use? any notable difference in using it on 4G vs HSDPA? how about when using GPS?

2) Love the 'Waterproof' feature - have you tried it out for real yet?

3) taking snaps - are you impressed over its competition on the likes of Apple or HTC's Ultra sensors? can you take quick shots with it from standby? i.e. whipping it out from the pocket to grab a quick 'moment' snap?

4) as a replacement of the iphone, sony were touting an exchange cable, have you tried this out yet?

5) blokey question, what does it feel like in the pocket?

6) music quality any good through the jack?

7) speaker quality - loud enough? is call quality through speakers clear and loud?

8) whats the screen like in direct light? (ok..might be hard with this cruddy weather at the moment i know!)

9) do you miss the screen lot being that bit larger?

Cheers,

Eddie

Guest James Norton

Hi Eddie,

1) Seems pretty good.  Only had it a few days and so I wont make a final comment until I am ready to write up the review.  Fairly impressed so far.  Haven't used it for GPS though.  I will say that weak 4G signal definitely has an impact on battery life obviously.

2) No.  Not sure I will either, at least on purpose!!

3) I think the camera is good perhaps very good, but not outstanding.  My early impressions are that it is almost as good as the iPhone 5s and certainly way ahead of anything from HTC or Samsung.  It is reasonably fast to start up, but the camera button is too small.

4) Exchange cable?

5) It feels like a rectangular slab, but a smallish slab.  To be honest, it feels very similar to an iPhone just heavier.

6) Audio is good, more testing to come.  I don't think it is as good as the iPhone and certainly is not as loud.

7) Still to test

8) In the English greyness, it is absolutely fine, .  In proper sunshine, who knows.  Fancy buying me a ticket to somewhere sunny so I can test it?

9) I have been using an iPhone for a few months.  The Z1 Compact doesn't feel small at all.

Guest eddiewawa

Awesome! Cheers for the quick reply dude!

Re: 4), took a snippet from the website and read on other sites (but none have verified)

Switching to Xperia has never been easier

Xperia™ Transfer Mobile makes it easier than ever to switch from your existing Android or iOS handset to Xperia. It’s the simple and easy way to seamlessly transfer your contacts, photos, bookmarks, apps, messages and much more from your old smartphone, swiftly and securely. And better still, no PC is required – simply transfer directly from phone-to-phone using NFC or the supplied cable10.

Guest James Norton

Awesome! Cheers for the quick reply dude!

Re: 4), took a snippet from the website and read on other sites (but none have verified)

Switching to Xperia has never been easier

Xperia™ Transfer Mobile makes it easier than ever to switch from your existing Android or iOS handset to Xperia. It’s the simple and easy way to seamlessly transfer your contacts, photos, bookmarks, apps, messages and much more from your old smartphone, swiftly and securely. And better still, no PC is required – simply transfer directly from phone-to-phone using NFC or the supplied cable10.

Interesting.  There is a USB OTG cable in the box, assume that is what they mean, obviously wont work with an iPhone.  I will try this out sometime and report back.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest eddiewawa

Hey James, any idea when the full review report will be out? got a combination of itchy fingers to buy the thing and waiting till MWC 2014 to see what comes out of it 1st... :)

Guest James Norton
Hey James, any idea when the full review report will be out? got a combination of itchy fingers to buy the thing and waiting till MWC 2014 to see what comes out of it 1st... :)
Hopefully very early next week

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.