[KK][ROM][PAC-ROM][4.4.2]PAC-MAN ROM KitKat Alpha-1[R3]

Guest mnupea

Guest laurisss

try to port from a device with same screen and simillar specs. 

I think y300 has a slimkat rom

Doesn't work the xda way (replacing framework , media) it says bad zip, base was cm 11 and i took y300 slimkat. :\ i want slimkat badly.

Guest kyan31

Doesn't work the xda way (replacing framework , media) it says bad zip, base was cm 11 and i took y300 slimkat. :\ i want slimkat badly.

Ports are buggy, there's no point doing them. If you compile the rom from source it will be merged properly with the device source, meaning pretty much bug free. Manuels ROM was overall bug free with his first build since he compiled from source. Other roms which have been ported on the other hand, I can list a few, are not so good.

Guest laurisss

Hey guys, i ported slimkat it but when installing the zip it says set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed,  E:error in blahblah(the directory of the rom zip) and then (STATUS 7)

I tweaked the updater script and set the recursives like cm 11 or pac to match.

fixed update-script renamed the dev block lines to match , installed good but now stuck on manafacturer (huawei ascend) logo.

Lol, missed some files, the animation works, i will wait a little bit to see if it boots. Nope, stuck on the slimkat logo.

Edited by laurisss

Guest kyan31
Hey guys, i ported slimkat it but when installing the zip it says set_metadata_recursive: some changes failed, E:error in blahblah(the directory of the rom zip) and then (STATUS 7) I tweaked the updater script and set the recursives like cm 11 or pac to match. fixed update-script renamed the dev block lines to match , installed good but now stuck on manafacturer (huawei ascend) logo. Lol, missed some files, the animation works, i will wait a little bit to see if it boots. Nope, stuck on the slimkat logo.
Probably because you 'ported' it. Edited by kyan31

Guest laurisss

Probably because you 'ported' it.

Well, do you have experience in porting roms? or a guide, something different from replacing system files.

And if you don't know anything about porting, please don't write anything, a person who has experience , maybe will now what's wrong.

Edited by laurisss

Guest noobster

Probably because you 'ported' it.

when i "ported" roms for a older device, the main bug was on the lib files

btw stupid question: did you put the 3.4 kernel while porting? -.-

Guest laurisss

when i "ported" roms for a older device, the main bug was on the lib files

btw stupid question: did you put the 3.4 kernel while porting? -.-

Kernel? I used this tut : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1908008, did everything but it's stuck on boot logo. Base rom cyanogenmod 11 , port slimkat build 4

EDIT : messed with libs a bit. Going to test it out.

Edited by laurisss

Guest noobster

Kernel? I used this tut : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1908008, did everything but it's stuck on boot logo. Base rom cyanogenmod 11 , port slimkat build 4

EDIT : messed with libs a bit. Going to test it out.

ok. if it boots, send the link via PM, altough since the rom is ported, it wont give as much stability as the base one (CM11). 

My advice is to compile the rom from sourec

Guest laurisss

ok. if it boots, send the link via PM, altough since the rom is ported, it wont give as much stability as the base one (CM11). 

My advice is to compile the rom from sourec

My upload speed is stone age, can you explain me how to compile it from source? Or to make it boot up, atleast the slimkat logo shows.

Guest kyan31

Well, do you have experience in porting roms? or a guide, something different from replacing system files.

And if you don't know anything about porting, please don't write anything, a person who has experience , maybe will now what's wrong.

That's not what I'm trying to say, you aren't understanding me properly.

I have ported roms before, I ported slim bean a while back and it did not work well as its ported. Ports are not good, they are buggy as there are not merged with the device source properly. It will have all the junk from the other device you are re porting from.

I really don't recommend ports, they can boot, but they will never work well. Bugs and slow performance is all you will get. Ports are only good for experimenting with, you should never try to port a rom if you are planning to release it as a proper build. Hopefully that clears up what I'm trying to say :)

Guest kyan31

If you are going to discuss your porting problems, do it personally via PM as this isn't relevant to PAC or any of the OP's work.

Guest laurisss

Sorry for off topic..

One last question: does somebody know something about source porting? I readed a bit about it but wasn't sure wich one to choose, because it's a long process, isn't it?

Guest kyan31

Sorry for off topic..

One last question: does somebody know something about source porting? I readed a bit about it but wasn't sure wich one to choose, because it's a long process, isn't it?

It's not source porting, it's 'compiling from source'. It really depends what ROM you are trying to compile, PAC and AOKP are quite easy while things like Paranoid Android etc. would be quite difficult to get all features working 100%. You also need a decent internet connection (which is why I haven't compiled roms from source, my Internet sucks) as you'll be downloading overall around 20GB of data.

You also need to dedicate around 120GB of space for all the files and tools, maybe even over 200GB if you want to take advantage of all the cache-ing benefits to speed up future builds.

Oh and finally, compiling requires a decent spec computer or laptop. The average quad core computer takes around 2 hours to build, so it's best to do these things on a 'spare' computer (unless you don't mind waiting).

Guest laurisss

It's not source porting, it's 'compiling from source'. It really depends what ROM you are trying to compile, PAC and AOKP are quite easy while things like Paranoid Android etc. would be quite difficult to get all features working 100%. You also need a decent internet connection (which is why I haven't compiled roms from source, my Internet sucks) as you'll be downloading overall around 20GB of data.

You also need to dedicate around 120GB of space for all the files and tools, maybe even over 200GB if you want to take advantage of all the cache-ing benefits to speed up future builds.

Oh and finally, compiling requires a decent spec computer or laptop. The average quad core computer takes around 2 hours to build, so it's best to do these things on a 'spare' computer (unless you don't mind waiting).

with and dual core 1.6 ghz intel hd 2000 gpu and 2gb ram laptop worth a try... thanks.

Guest kyan31
with and dual core 1.6 ghz intel hd 2000 gpu and 2gb ram laptop worth a try... thanks.
That's pretty low but sure, worth a try. Your ram might get a little tight though. Edited by kyan31

Guest george109

Oh. I cant do any of those things (My hard drive bar in Windows 8 is red, and is 95% full), and I have a dual core laptop with 4GB RAM! 

Guest laurisss

That's pretty low but sure, worth a try. Your ram might get a little tight though.

Lol just kidding :D I still want to have my pc, and i don't have an fire extinguisher so not going to try :D

Guest kyan31

Oh. I cant do any of those things (My hard drive bar in Windows 8 is red, and is 95% full), and I have a dual core laptop with 4GB RAM!

Your RAM meets the requirements, and the dual core spec isn't a bad thing. Just means your first few builds will take a bit longer. All you need is some hard drive space and some free time :)

Guest kyan31

Lol just kidding :D I still want to have my pc, and i don't have an fire extinguisher so not going to try :D

RAM for laptops is pretty cheap if your willing to unscrew the RAM slot on your laptop (might void warranty if done yourself). You should unscrew it, and check if you have any RAM slots free if you want to. Also check the memory type (DDR2 or DDR3) and memory speed so you can buy the right memory. A 2gb stick of RAM for a laptop can be as cheap as £10 if you look around a little. For my desktop, i use Kingston HyperX 1600mhz RAM which is £25 for a stick of 4GB.

Guest GHE_1908

RAM for laptops is pretty cheap if your willing to unscrew the RAM slot on your laptop (might void warranty if done yourself). You should unscrew it, and check if you have any RAM slots free if you want to. Also check the memory type (DDR2 or DDR3) and memory speed so you can buy the right memory. A 2gb stick of RAM for a laptop can be as cheap as £10 if you look around a little. For my desktop, i use Kingston HyperX 1600mhz RAM which is £25 for a stick of 4GB.

You know a lot about this stuff Kyan. :) I am thinking about building a new PC because my current PC is so old and slow right now, and the laptop my school provides us is monitored so strictly. 

Guest GHE_1908

Oh yeah, quick reminder, I'm not too fussy about a little bit of off topic discussion, but do try and keep on topic. This is a Rom thread not discussion about computer RAM.  :P (I know, I posted something ^^ about computers -_-) 

Anyway, this looks great, will give it a try tomorrow.

Guest kyan31

Oh yeah, quick reminder, I'm not too fussy about a little bit of off topic discussion, but do try and keep on topic. This is a Rom thread not discussion about computer RAM. :P (I know, I posted something ^^ about computers -_-)

Anyway, this looks great, will give it a try tomorrow.

Haha sorry

Back on topic :lol:

Guest laurisss

I am looking forward to doing it. I know everything about my ram, and in my country its  £12, converted it. But i am not sure because i want to sell this laptop and buy a normal computer, not that slow..

Sorry for trashing this topic with this .. lol.. :P