HTC announce the One mini 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

HTC have announced the One mini 2 - a downsized version of their M8 flagship, featuring a near identical design paired with lower but still more than adequate specs to enable a lower price point (mini flagship a-la-Z1 Compact this is not).

The beautifully crafted device shares the same metal body and brushed metal finish as it's big brother and thankfully (THANK YOU HTC), dispenses with the awful plastic rim around the edge that was so heavily slated on the original One Mini (and Max for that matter). If you look real closely the design is slightly different with a plastic insert that runs right around the edge of the device, but in reality (and I have held and used the device), it's virtually unnoticeable - a vast improvement on it's predecessor. So what's inside?

Under the skin you'll find a 4.5" 720P display, HTC Sense 6 with HTC BlinkFeed based on Android 4.4 KitKat (of course), a 13 Megapixel rear camera (no duo camera and no ultrapixels here!) and a 5 Megapixel front-facing camera, all powered by a Quad Core 1.2GHz Snapdragon 400 CPU with 1GB RAM and 16GB ROM (with microSD expansion). Quite similar specs to the Moto G you might say.

While the phone is obviously much more compact than the M8, it's not a small phone by any means at 137.43 x 65.04 x 10.6mm, thanks in no small part to the inclusion of HTC BoomSound, complete with the same amplifier as the M8.

The One mini 2 uses a Nano SIM and, of course, includes LTE as you'd expect in a device in the One range. Dual band wireless is included together with Bluetooth 4.0 and NFC.

Contrary to rumours you might have read elsewhere, the software experience is largely unchanged from the M8, including the great camera experience with the ability to create Zoe Highlight videos. Due to the lack of a low power co-processor, the device does dispense with the motion gestures used to wake the M8, including the camera / volume button shortcut.

What else is lost compared to it's larger sibling? There's no IR transmitted, the battery is smaller at 2100mAh (of course, driving a considerably smaller, lowere resolution screen may negate this loss - we shall see - HTC claim comparable stamina) and the camera flash is of the single colour variety. Disaster of disasters - the innovative dot view case won't be available for the mini 2 either.

We'll be putting the One mini 2 through it's paces in a full review real soon, and updating this post with pricing information just as soon as we have it. All that leaves us to say is... that name, HTC, honestly... ;)

The HTC One mini 2 will be available in EMEA and North Asia in Gunmetal Gray,

Glacial Silver and Amber Gold from June 2014.

m8minipress.jpg

Click here to view the item

Guest Zarch1972

Looking at the dimensions, the OM2 (catchy) is the same size as the original M7, but the new model has a 0.2" smaller screen?

So if you want to downgrade in size from the M7 i'm not sure the One Mini 2 is the device for that?

Sort of belies its 'Mini' moniker. :(

Apart from that, I could probably live with the rest of the specs, but would need to know what the camera is like.

But if my M7 is the same size and probably still has a better camera than the OM2, i'm not feeling much of an excuse to 'upgrade'.

Guest everett_psycho

I'd be interested to see the price, other than boomsound, the better cameras and the metal body it is very similar spec wise to the moto g 4g, if it's double the price like the old one was you've got to really want those features to pay that much more.

Guest Patrick73

Vodafone UK are Doing the HTC one mini for £160 over this bank holiday. I got the black one from a Vodafone store and it turned out to be unlocked. But has Vodafone boot screen etc.

Great phone just don't like sence, and it got 6633 on quadrant with kitkat update installed.

Guest Voxpop2011

A bargain and this would have been a contender in my quest to return to Android after a less than satisfactory dalliance with Blackberry.  However, my focus is now on finding a dual sim model as I have two mobile phone numbers.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.