Coolpad F1 8297w - Review / Info / Software / Custom Roms

Guest dakok

Guest dalyer

Finally got my BL unlocked. 

I had requested BL unlock approval from Xiaomi but never received the confirmation SMS - SMSs from Xiaomi seem hit and miss generally.

Anyway I just tried again today with and it worked (http://en.miui.com/thread-202290-1-1.html).

I did have to temporarily install China dev ROM via flashboot (http://en.miui.com/thread-235865-1-1.html) to do it. In spite of what some guides say I could not get BL unlock to work on Global stable.

I switched back to Global stable when done. Seemingly China dev ROM has root built in. Not sure about global dev but I'll check.

If not then I'll have to use the modified boot.img, TWRP, SuperSU approach for (temporary?) root (http://en.miui.com/thread-240531-1-1.html).

I'm going to run MIUI 7 global stable or dev (if it has root) for now but want to have TWRP and the option of installing other ROMs if I choose.

Apologies for going off topic on this thread but I thought that this info might be of interest to some here.

If I can help anybody when they're doing these steps let me know.

Edit: so China Developer ROM (flashed via fastboot) does have root option built in but Global Developer does not. So looks like the only option for root on the latter is as mentioned above. I don't know how feasible/stable it would be to run China Developer ROM with built-in root option and install Google separately? BTW looks like Updater/stock recovery upgrade/downgrade between Global stable/developer ROMs or China stable/developer ROMs works OK but the only way to go from Global to China (any ROM) is via fastboot. Hope this info helps somebody.

Edit 2: one approach to debloating the China Dev ROM: http://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-3/how-to/redmi-note-3-pro-snapdragon-miui-t3372437

Edited by dalyer

Guest dalyer

After clean fastboot install of Global Stable ROM having added my Google and Mi accounts but not downloaded/installed/upated anything: Available: 24.65GB Total: 26.28GB

I can't decide between running China Dev ROM, debloating it and adding Google OR running Global Stable ROM and rooting it as mentioned above... :-|

Edited by dalyer

Guest KennyPowers

Mi account? Do you have to create one of those to use the phone, or can I get away with just my Google Play account?

I was looking at how you fit the Micro SD card in it, quite clever it goes in the empty nano sim slot!

Guest dalyer

I had a Mi account from using a MiBand a while back so used it here too.

I don't think that it's mandatory but you cannot use additional Xiaomi/Mi services (e.g. cloud etc.) without one. And you need one to request and use the BL unlock. But I think you can discard/disassociate it after that.

I'm pretty sure that you can just use a Google account.

Yes - the SIM/sdcard tray arrangement is clever but does preclude the use of two SIMs AND sdcard at the same time unfortunately.

Guest KennyPowers

Think I'm going to order one via the GearBest link you said. These phones do look kinda cool!

Did you use just the standard 'free' shipping, and did it come with any 'gifts', like phone case or screen protectors?

Cheers

Guest dalyer

I chose free shipping/post - and it took a few weeks. No freebies included unfortunately.

Maybe check Kimovil for other prices/sellers: http://www.kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-note-3-pro

However at the time Gearbest were the cheapest seller to take PayPal and I didn't want to pay any other way given my bad experience on the LeTV x600 front.

Edited by dalyer

Guest KennyPowers

Ordered it from AliExpress in the end, went for the standard free postage option, so will probably take a month to get here!

Fingers crossed they send what I ordered, and no customs fees...

Guest KennyPowers

I cancelled the order in the end. One thing I forgot to take into consideration was how big the thing would be.

The Coolpad F1 is the limit on how big a 'mobile' device I would carry should be. I don't think I want to go above a 5 inch screen. Even fitting the Coolpad F1 in your jeans trouser pocket is a challenge!

I might look at smaller Xiaomi alternative or something. I like the size of the old iphone 4s, but that screen is perhaps too tiny.

:o

Edited by KennyPowers

Guest dalyer

It's not that much bigger than the F1 to be honest.

If I recall correctly it's actually marginally thinner.

Edited by dalyer

Guest KennyPowers

I think I will try and stick with 4 to 5 inch all the same. The Redmi 3 pro does look like an amazing phone, just a bit too big to be a daily carry.

Maybe some of the old Xiaomi models will fit this criteria.

Guest dalyer
On 19/05/2016 at 11:33 PM, dalyer said:

Edit: so China Developer ROM (flashed via fastboot) does have root option built in but Global Developer does not. So looks like the only option for root on the latter is as mentioned above. I don't know how feasible/stable it would be to run China Developer ROM with built-in root option and install Google separately? BTW looks like Updater/stock recovery upgrade/downgrade between Global stable/developer ROMs or China stable/developer ROMs works OK but the only way to go from Global to China (any ROM) is via fastboot. Hope this info helps somebody.

As mentioned earlier I unlocked my bootloader the official way.

And then I followed this guide to root and install TWRP on the latest global stable ROM (7.3.2.0.LHOMIDD).

http://en.miui.com/thread-240531-1-1.html

Guest CrazyAnt

Sorry guyz, but you keep talking about a different phone that has nothing to do with our coolpad f1.

So I keep getting notifications on this thread (that I want to follow cause it has been botj very useful and very helpful), just to find out that you talk off topic about another phone.

And this has been going on for quite a few pages now....

Can you please stop this hijack and ceeate a thread about that other device you are all so interested about?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Destiny133

One question, if i flash original CPB file. Can i then update firmware over OTA? Or i need to again find newest CPB version to flash it?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jpower73

Here u are, guys... 

RESSURECTION REMIX 5.7.0 (ΜΜ) (23-06-2016) ON COOLPAD F1

http://www.myphone.gr/forum/showthread.php?p=6778426#post6778426

Xda's modified version for f1 with few add-ons + fixes (FB video decoding) 

Installation instructions.. 

If  you are under twrp 2860 or 3020 recovery: 
- Wipe System, Cache, Dalvik Cache, Internal and Data Partition
- Format Data partition
- Go to Mount settings (untick on data, system, cache partition)

if you under philz recovery:
- wipe cache
- wipe dalvik
- custom fomat options-format data and data/media (sdcard)-yes
(watch out! this is gonna erase your internal storage.!!)
- Go to mount and storage an make it look like this....https://s32.postimg.org/sls71u5v9/IMG_0134.jpg

Then, Flash #1 (rom) and #2 (xposed)
Reboot.
That's it

VERY IMPORTANT, in case you see a "settings (1000)" supersu popup, select DENY. if, by mistake select grand, you may change it by going to Settings/SuperSu find "settings (1000)" and set it DENY.
i think this kind of popup is caused by xposed.

Also, check this out....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GATqU1_xzqA

'Njoy..... ;) 

Edited by Jpower73

Guest xeros2

Great!

Thanks a lot, Jpower73

I'm glad that you haven't left us, F1 owners.

Is it really Marshallow (6.0.1) based framework?

I see interresting options there on screenshots from XDA.

Regarding VPN not working - it doesn't work in settings menu or with external VPN apps that use VPN API / tun/tap kernel device also? (anyconnect/openconnect, openvpn,...).

How's with other important stuff - stability, photos speed & quality/video recording, wifi, 3g/2g (edge) data transfer, gps, bluetooth, push messaging, video playback? wireless display?

Edited by xeros2

Guest Jpower73

Never left from this place ...! :) 

It is the real McCoy..! 

Check out the xda's link for bugs etc. 

In short, bugs are:

- VPN works only with psiphon

- always on WCDMA preffered. No "2g only" option

-led light works only on charging.  Not on incoming notifications /calls /sms. (I'm working on that) 

BT connection is a real pain in the @ss but.. Finally, It is working! 

Give it a try.., ;) 

(let's give a "RESSURECTION" boost on that thread ;)) 

Edited by Jpower73