Coolpad F1 8297w - Review / Info / Software / Custom Roms

Guest dakok

Guest slime00

Yes it is expansive, i purchased this phone before a 5 Months ago directly from China (Aliexpress) at about 208 USD with Fedex Shipping and i paid custom duty app. 15 USD...Total 223 USD...Now it is launching at 215 USD...but if we import from China...we paid this amount (Total cost + Shipping + Custom Duty)...!!!

yeah, so it's better to take the Micromax for Indian users, so to have asistence without shipping it to china... please jay0ind, let us know if there are some news (roms) about the micromax nitro!

Edited by slime00

Guest borsosg

@dakok: where your friend looked at the framerate? On antutu v5, or antutu v4, or other test app? I have found that the best 3D performance is with official 039, and official 040. With these two roms I measured over 20 fps with antutu v5 and over 22 fps with antutu v4. With antutu v5 the 3D score is more than 7500 point. Overall more than 31.000 point.

On official forum I just read 4.4 official CoolUi available in 2 days "Reliable sources" I hope that it really is from a trusted source.

Edited by borsosg

Guest Mr.Markos

I'm considering to buy this phone, but I have a few question that some of you might be able to answer.

How good is the GPS in this phone? Can the phone be used for apps like runtastic? (App what uses GPS location to determine your route, speed, etc.) Many Chinese phones often have location displacement. When this happens when you use runtastic for example, you'll get running speeds of above 100 km/h. And thats something you don't want to have ;)

The review in the starting post mentions the bad quality of the microphone. I guess this isn't solved yet? How bad is it? Is it noticeable when you make a phone call?

Some other question that aren't that important as above but still makes me curious about:

- How is this phone compared to the Jiayu G4S? (2GB 3000mAh version) I think the only downside of the G4S is its GPS

- Is there anyone with this CoolPad F1 and a Samsung S3/S4, HTC One M7 or Sony Xperia Z(1/2). If so, would you like to share photos (same object) taken with this F1 and one of the other phones. I'm curious about the difference in quality

I'm from the Netherlands btw, are there people here too from the Netherlands or Belgium? This phone doesn't seem to be popular in our country, and I don't know why. (Compared to other China phones)

@Mr.Markos

From the review:

voice comunication without a glitch

Microphone or the softver that drives it is not so good. I have tested several
apps for audio recording and that was very quiet and dissapointing.
If you want to use Coolpad as dictaphone, you're out of luck there.

I think is's clear that the comment was about audio recording :)

Location displacement and wrong speed was solved long ago with a build.prop fix

Popularity of a China phone in Europe means nothing. That's an impulse shopping and it is based on the price and design.
Just look at Cubot GT99 or Vowney here at MoDaCo.
Herd behaviour - nothing else.

If you study a bit what's hot in China (and that's what really matters) you will find these fine devices:

Huawei Honor 3C, Huawei Honor 3C Play, Huawei G610s, Huawei Honor 3 Outdoor, 
Xiaomi Note Enhanced, Xiaomi Redmi 1S, Coolpad F1, Coolpad 7320, Lenovo A806, 
Lenovo A850+, Lenovo A880, TCL S720, Asus Zenfone 5

Huawei Honor 3C and Coolpad F1 are rhe best sellers there for the last 4 months or so...
Edited by dakok

Guest jay0ind

yeah, so it's better to take the Micromax for Indian users, so to have asistence without shipping it to china... please jay0ind, let us know if there are some news (roms) about the micromax nitro!

Sure Friend...

I found this nice topic in XDA which claims an easy way to make the latest twrp 2.7.1 for every mtk device... since, even if it's easy, is off limits for me, i share it to see if someone more advanced than me could develop this! http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2798257

I made CTR Recovery for Coolpad F1 with a similar tool by Yuweng few days ago.

Simple stuff. I made a short guide, too (in Croatian)

Edited by dakok

Ok, now we have TWRP 2.8.0.0 for Coolpad.
Do you want me to upload it?

Sorry, we dont :(
It doesnt work properly

EDIT:
gonna try TWRP 2.7.1.0 now :)

It works fine and here it is:

TWRP-2.7.1.0_recovery_Coolpad_F1 by a complete ignorant :D

During 5-minute walktrough I could't find anything bad...

Edited by dakok

Guest slime00

it's a beta, dakok! still, having a 2.7.1 would be a miracle! I managed to flash it, but still it says that both internal and sd card have the same size, so maybe something is still not working properly

Guest Mr.Markos

@Mr.Markos

From the review:

I think is's clear that the comment was about audio recording :)

Location displacement and wrong speed was solved long ago with a build.prop fix

Popularity of a China phone in Europe means nothing. That's an impulse shopping and it is based on the price and design.
Just look at Cubot GT99 or Vowney here at MoDaCo.
Herd behaviour - nothing else.

If you study a bit what's hot in China (and that's what really matters) you will find these fine devices:

Huawei Honor 3C, Huawei Honor 3C Play, Huawei G610s, Huawei Honor 3 Outdoor, 

Xiaomi Note Enhanced, Xiaomi Redmi 1S, Coolpad F1, Coolpad 7320, Lenovo A806, 

Lenovo A850+, Lenovo A880, TCL S720, Asus Zenfone 5

Huawei Honor 3C and Coolpad F1 are rhe best sellers there for the last 4 months or so...

That's good to hear about the mic. and GPS.

I had have a iOcean X7 (youth) and until last weekend a Cubot GT99 myself (it didn't survive our weekend abroad haha)

I didn't want to spam too many questions at once but these phones did also caught my eye:

- Coolpad F1

- Jiayu G4S (2GB 3000mAh)

- Lenovo A806 (with 4G 1800MHz and 2600MHz, because my provider uses 800/1800/2800MHz (or B20/B3/B7))

- Asus Zenfone 5 (2GB)

The Lenovo is the only one with 4G support (doesn't this require the MK6595 btw instead of MK6592?) but nobody was talking about the Lenovo A806 in our forums while the Coolpad F1 was (though it was very very little)

How do these two compare to each other. Why does the Coolpad F1 have more popularity? They have both similar prices and the specs of the Lenovo is a bit better.

And what about the other two?

Guest slime00

Ok, now we have TWRP 2.8.0.0 for Coolpad.

Do you want me to upload it?

Sorry, we dont :(

It doesnt work properly

EDIT:

gonna try TWRP 2.7.1.0 now :)

It works fine and here it is:

TWRP-2.7.1.0_recovery_Coolpad_F1 by dakok 

During 5-minute walktrough I could't find anything bad...

the same as mine, they both say internal storage and sd card are 4310 mb... can it be because I am in kitkat? do we have a stock chinese recovery in .img file?

Edited by slime00

Guest slime00

thanks borosg, but I need the original chinese stock one, the one that comes with the phone from factory... while I was trying TWRP, I decided to go back to CWM, but with the 6.0.5.0, no problems there! 

The Lenovo is the only one with 4G support (doesn't this require the MK6595 btw instead of MK6592?) but nobody was talking about the Lenovo A806 in our forums while the Coolpad F1 was (though it was very very little)

How do these two compare to each other. Why does the Coolpad F1 have more popularity? They have both similar prices and the specs of the Lenovo is a bit better.

Lenovo a806 is more expencive ~35 USD

It has 1 SIM card and it's not tested by comunity yet.

matejsolid,

do they come with delays (due longer periods between wakeups from deep sleep for example) or no led/sound/screen notification (until you wake up phone to see notification on status bar) or no any notifications at all?

Guest baldos81

Does anyone have issue with notifications in baldos Pure AOSP ? Did turning cpu saving mode helped ?

Sorry but what type of notifications you don't have? I have all notifications from the app installed, like email, Facebook, sms, tapatalk... So explain better

Guest korekore1

micromax has a huge support down there! :D hope to see some nice stuff :D Every country will have its rebranded coolpad! :D

that's some nice faux leather back! :o

it seems it runs an AOSP with minor changes 

this official rom must be very bad..!In the video he talks about lag on games and 1,3-1.4gb of ram used by the system,leaving you with 600mb of free ram for the rest of your apps!Lets stay away from this rom!

The good news is that he said the phone does support otg!

edit:probably not..!

Edited by korekore1

Guest matejsolid

matejsolid,

do they come with delays (due longer periods between wakeups from deep sleep for example) or no led/sound/screen notification (until you wake up phone to see notification on status bar) or no any notifications at all?

No notifications of any kind.

Whats,Gmail,Facebook,Tapatalk apps.

Tried cpu saving mode,didnt work.

Same problem had on laek.17 4.4.

What could cause those problems ?

Sorry but what type of notifications you don't have? I have all notifications from the app installed, like email, Facebook, sms, tapatalk... So explain better

I mean I dont get notification for new messages from Messenger or comments for Facebook,I dont get notification from Tapatalk to like new messages,subscribed topics and for Whatsapp.

Guest matejsolid

Rom flashed with twrp or cwm?

CWM 6.0.5 newest version,did everything as would in previous roms

Wipe data/cache/dalvih,reboot recovery and then fresh install ?

Would flashing with TWRP help ?