Android stalwart tries iPhone

Guest Zarch1972

Guest Zarch1972

Whilst I now class myself as an Android stalwart, it wasn’t always that way. My first foray into proper smartphones was a 8gb iPhone 3G in 2009. Prior to that I was using a Sony Ericsson Walkman 810i phone and bought an iPod Touch out of curiosity. I soon realised that fusing a phone onto the iPod Touch was a no brainer, so the Sony and the Touch were sold in favour of the iPhone.

I’d spent 9 months with the iPhone 3G and loved it, but my interest was piqued by a new kid on the block; The HTC Desire. Looking back it was quite a leap of faith to buy the Desire as I had absolutely no idea what Android was, but once I had it I was hooked. One of the main reasons to jump was the better screen on the Desire. It was 3.7” (480x800) whilst the iPhone 3G was 3.5” (320x480).

I kept that Desire for 18 months but the lure of a Samsung Galaxy Nexus and Ice Cream Sandwich was too hard to resist. Then periodic upgrades to Nexus 4 and HTC One take me to where I am today.

After the Desire, the next three phones all followed market trends and went BIG as they had 4.65”, 4.7” and 4.7” screens. Now being honest, i've never fully enjoyed having a phone that big, but with Android flagships we haven’t really had much choice have we?

Here’s the problem with me, dainty little hands. Yep, i'll admit it. Look at this snap of me with my HTC One M7 trying to get to the top right hand corner with my thumb. No chance. As much as I enjoy using it, there is no way I comfortably use the M7 one handed.

thumb_30-May-2014_M7-crop-ratio.jpg

So enough is enough. Look at the screen sizes on the 2014 flagships; HTC One M8 (5”), Samsung Galaxy S5 (5”), Sony Z2 (5.2”) and LG G3 (5.5”). I’m sorry, all way too big for me, look at my here with a M8 in the Three store, I can't even reach halfway up the damn thing with my thumb.

thumb_29-May-2014_M8%20thumb.jpg

But what smaller option do we have? Aside from the Sony Z1 Compact (4.3”), there’s no decent spec Android phone with a smaller screen.

Now that the cpu war appears to be over the main requirement for me is a decent camera. I've got two young children so I need a fast shutter speed to capture them. I also need camera software that is intelligent and helpful enough to aid that sort of fast capture. The Sense camera app on the M7 is just that with its continuous shot mode. Its not even a ‘mode’ as such as you don't have to mess about with any options. If you want to take a single shot you just press the shutter once, but if you want to take a rapid burst of shots just hold down the shutter button and it rattles off upto 20 quick fire snaps. You can then go back into gallery and swipe through them, either keeping them all (great for Google+ auto awesome’s) or choose ‘best shot’ to keep the best one and discard all the rest.

But here lies an opportunity to try something new. The camera on my M7 is playing up, showing a purple cast across the image in lower light. So it needs to go back to HTC for warranty repair, but will leave me phone less for around 10 working days.

As I said above, the Sony Z1 Compact is the only decent spec smaller Android phone but i'm put off the Z1C because i'll lose the ‘burst’ mode. Apparently in the Sony camera app you have change mode and actually have to manually choose ‘burst mode’ instead of ‘normal’. If I were to do this i'd have missed the shot by the time i'd messed about switching modes.

If I didn’t got with the Z1C, what is left? What about an iPhone with its 4” screen? James Norton (@nortools) is nothing but glowing in his praise of the iPhone 5S and assures me the camera and app work in the same way as the M7. With the added benefit that the image quality on the 5S camera is going to be better than the M7.

So I decided to go with the iPhone 5S as I thought it would the more interesting experiment. I felt going for the Z1C would just be a side step as I know Android inside out.

Before we continue I must stress i’m very open minded about other phones and operating systems. If something is good, I will like it no matter who make it or what software its running. Similarly, if something is terrible i'll say so. Just because i've used Android for a good number of years it doesn't mean i've turned into one of these childish ‘haters’ that seem to frequent twitter. :(

… spends a week trying to procure a iPhone 5S …

So the iPhone has arrived, its a 16gb iPhone 5S in space gray as i'm really not brave enough to go white/silver or white/gold. Hardware wise, lets make no bones about it, this is a stunning device, beautifully crafted, not a joint out of place. You might remember my initial M7 build problems? This is a million miles away from that experience, it looks every penny a flagship and premium product.

Okay, first problem, Nano SIM. I suppose many people changing phones encounter this now? So out comes the ‘SIM cutter” to take my M7 Micro SIM down to a Nano SIM. When will manufacturers standardise on the same SIM card size? I can't believe we are still in a world where three different size of SIM cards are still being used in new devices. Grumble, grumble.

……. one week later …….

I've now been using the iPhone 5S as my daily driver for a week, so i'm hopefully in a decent position to comment on various elements that have caught my attention and are worthy of comment.

Size, Screen and Performance

Wow, I absolutely love it, one handed is a joy. For me, the 4” screen is just about the perfect size to get to the top right hand corner with my thumb. I have since picked my M7 up and its a like using a Nexus 7. :) The screen quality itself is also great. Much has been made of the ‘retina’ moniker and has been derided in certain quarters, but the screen is great and it performs really well in all conditions, including full sun. Speed wise, it's been fine all week. Switching between apps and opening apps is rapid. No matter what task i’ve attempted i’ve had no issues.

thumb_30-May-2014_5S-crop-ratio.jpg

Fingerprint Scanner

I am that stunned by how well this works its quite possibly the best gadget i’ve used in many a year. You use it in two main scenarios; unlocking the phone and purchasing/downloading apps. You can set up multiple fingers/thumbs, it works flawlessly and is so fast. You can have the phone unlocked in around 1 second. I will not miss having to go back to pins and swipe gesture unlocks.

Buttons

Being able to unlock the phone with the bottom home button using your thumb becomes second nature. One handed, press the bottom button with your thumb to wake the screen then keep your thumb on the button (fingerprint scanner) and you are in within a second. Its a joy (can you tell I like that bit?). Because the phone is smaller than most Android phones the on/off button being on the top at the righthand side isn’t as much of a problem as it is on larger bodies. Plus, because you use the home button to wake most of the time, you only use the top button put the phone into sleep which is usually when its heading back into your pocket. Finally on buttons, I really do much prefer the physical home button that Android softkeys. Its tactile, you get feedback and its great for kids. My little ones have a torrid time with my Nexus 7 tablet constantly pressing the on screen buttons by mistake. When they use the iPad, no problems at all.

Google+ (and other Google apps/services)

Google+ looks almost identical to its Android counterpart and similarly allows you to auto upload photos when taken. Auto awesomes here we come! To be fair, Google have done a great job bringing all the main apps to iOS; Hangouts, Maps, Google Now, Chrome, Play Music etc. So far, I haven’t really missed anything and as you’d expect, all your Google data is synced across; contacts, bookmarks etc. Obviously, the only problem moving over to iOS is that all my Google Play store apps are sat over on Android and i’d have to buy the iOS versions if I wanted them on iPhone.

Apps are apps

Its quite striking that the majority of mainstream apps that I use are exactly the same on iOS as their Android counterparts. Aside from navigation buttons working differently, the apps perform almost identically. If you use Facebook, forums apps, Flickr, news apps, Strava etc then you’ll notice little difference.

Email

I've tried a few iOS mail apps; stock, Mailbox, Gmail, MyMail etc, but none seem to compare to Gmail on Android. iOS Gmail is fine, its usable, but it just doesn't quite seem on par with the Android version. But not a deal breaker.

Battery

I’m not a heavy user by any means, but for me, the 5S battery has outlasted what i'd get from M7 almost every day. One thing I have noticed is that it just seems to gently sip battery when not in use. I noticed similar behaviour from our iPad compared to say the Nexus 7. iOS devices do seem to fare much better in standby/sleep than Android counterparts.

Camera & Camera App

In the first week i've been using the 5S i've found that camera outperforms the M7 in 95% of situations. The 5% where the iPhone doesn't quite match the HTC is in lower light and you need to capture movement. There have been a few times under those circumstances where i've got a bit of motion blur on the iPhone where the M7 would have performed better. But in the majority of situations, the iPhone wins hands down. You really notice having 8 megapixels versus the 4mp of the M7, it allows more cropping/zooming with less loss of detail.

Putting it bluntly, the iOS camera app is basic and automatic, but in a totally usable way. The only way you'll see any manual controls (exposure/shutter speed etc) is to buy another camera app from the App Store. Out of the box, the stock app is as point and shoot as it gets. But in 95% of situations that is all you need. Press the shutter once and it takes a great shot. Hold down the shutter and it fires off 10 photos per second. Then just like the HTC Sense app, you can go back and choose which ones to keep etc. I love this feature, it works just as well as the Sense version but with the added advantage of having better images.

I have absolutely no complaints about the 5S camera during this first week.

Ringtones and Sounds

Back in 2009, to get a different ringtone on my first iPhone I had to mess about renaming mp3 sounds files to have .m4r extensions, import them into iTunes, then sync iTunes to the iPhone to send the the ringtones across to the phone. Fast forward 5 years and i'm stunned to find that nothing has changed. Yes, you can buy ringtones from the Appstore, but not on your nelly at 99p etc. So to get one of my mp3s from my M7 across to the iPhone consisted of the laborious usb cable transfer, rename, import and iTunes sync process. This really needs addressing as its so antiquated.

Mute Button

Simple, but effective having a physical mute button. Want to quickly mute the phone without unlocking and heading into menus? Slide the mute button, great addition.

Notifications

I've left this until the end as its one part of iOS for me that falls behind Android. But before we hammer it, lets start with one good point of iOS; Badges. iOS badges are just like the unread counters you get now on Android when you miss a call or how many unread SMS messages you have. But on iOS you can have them for all apps. So you have 5 unread mentions on twitter, it shows “5” as a small number in the top corner the app icon. 24 unread mails in Gmail, again, it will report that as number. I wish these would come across to Android for all apps.

For every app you can individually set how it notifies you. The amount of choice can be overwhelming with different sounds and actions for each and every app you have installed. By default, everything seems overbearing so you have to get in there and tone things down. On top of the useful badge feature mentioned above you have three on screen choices; off, banner and alerts. Alerts are those “in your face” pop ups in the middle of the screen, so no matter what you are doing you’ll get interrupted. Banners are less intrusive as they take up the top 2 text lines of the screen and slide on for a few seconds before disappearing. For me, I think iOS main problem is that it doesn't use the status bar in the same way Android does. When you get an email on Android you’ll get the mail icon appear in your status bar and it will stay there until you clear it, but its not that simple on iOS.

You can also get iOS to wake the screen when you get notifications as another choice for every app is ‘show on lock screen’. Whilst this is useful there appears to be one rule for stock apps and one rule for third party apps. For example, in Messages (stock sms/iMessage app) there is a ‘show preview’ toggle. So switch it off and it won’t show the start of the message, you'll just get ‘New Message’ (useful if you want to keep your messages private).. But in Gmail the same option isn't there, so it will always show a preview of the email content. If you then look at the stock email app, the ‘show preview’ toggle is there, its crazy. So there is no way to show Gmail notifications on the lock screen without displaying a preview of the email. I've read that this ‘show preview’ can be added to 3rd party apps, but its at the developer's discretion. It just seems daft not to use it.

As per Android you can swipe down the screen to show the iOS Notification Centre. One week in and i'm yet to get my head around iOS Notification Centre, LOL. I find it just as easy to see badges on my home screen and action those.

I'm a big fan of Notification LEDs on Android phones and not having something similar on the iPhone is a big miss for me. If you had a notification LED could you do away with waking the screen up all the time to show you have alerts?

Summary

One week in and iOS isn't the evil operating system that those haters and fanboys on Twitter would have you believe. Yes, its far more a closed shop than Android and you are restricted in many ways. Yes you can Jailbreak, but its not a straightforward as rooting on Android. I think the bottom line with the iPhone and iOS is that if you are a normal sort of person(?) who uses mainstream apps like of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc and don't care for tinkering then the iPhone is probably perfect for you. As I said above, even the camera app is lacking in controls, you just press and shoot. I think that sums up iOS in a nutshell really, Apple just want things to work and be as simple as possible for the end user.

I've been rooting, hacking and slashing for years on my Android phones, but recently with my HTC One i've not even bothered as there isn't that much that I couldn't do with stock Sense. In the same way this is true of the iPhone. Out of the box it just works and for many, that is all they want.

If Apple can cram all this great hardware into such a small package, why can’t Samsung, HTC and LG do the same? Fair play to Sony with the Z1 Compact, roll on the rumoured Z3 Compact.

People cite the lack of market demand? I’m not sure, I think there’s plenty of enthusiasm for a smaller Android flagship.

The strong rumours around the iPhone 6 is for both 4.7” and 5.5” versions. For me, even at 4.7” I think the iPhone would lose some of its appeal. My wife uses a iPhone 4S and states categorically she will not entertain a large screen iPhone with a 4.7” screen. Moving forward, Apple really need to keep that circa 4.0” category as there are iPhone owners who have become so accustomed to that size.

So what to do when my M7 comes back from repair? Go back to the M7? Keep the iPhone 5S? Sell the M7? Sell the 5S? Give the iPhone to the wife? Who knows? What I really need though is a 4.3” to 4.5” ish, high end Android device with cutting edge camera and software. Anyone know of one? Nah, me neither.

Maybe all hopes lie with the Moto X+1 ? But the rumours are a 5.2" screen in favour of the original's 4.7". Would that be a disaster after how well the original felt in the hand?

I would be interested to hear what you think of my iPhone adventure and if you have any phone recommendations to aid my dilemma?

Click here to view the item

Guest 3shirts

This really echoes my thoughts on iPhone.  If you want a simple but high end experience and don't care about changing things or tinkering, it's perfect.

If you like to customise, hack, change, and upgrade stuff, you have to go Android.

Guest Barbs80

Completely agree with everything you've said 100%.

I've got a HTC ONE X (4.7" screen) and refuse to go any bigger - ideally I'd like to go a little smaller - I think 4.5" would be my ideal. 

Also like you the camera burst mode on my HTC is one of the most important features on my phone - for taking pictures of my son.

I've just finished 2 years with the ONE X and have decided to keep it for another year on sim only, because there's nothing out there I want to replace it with. I love getting new gadgets but I don't want a phone with a 5" or bigger screen. 

I've got an old iPhone 3GS as a work phone and an iPad, but I'm not keen on the Apple UI. It's ok, I can use it - but much prefer Android.

Guest jamoiholland

This is scarily close to my experiences! I didn't even go as large as the HTC One M7, that was too big for me. RAZR i and Moto G have been my most recent Android phones, both Motorola interestingly. I had big hopes for the Z1c as the first "phone sized phone" in years to have decent top end specs, but was massively disappointed in the camera so moved it on. The iPhone 5c takes better photos 95% of the time than any Android device out there. However, iOS is just a bit too simple, notifications are pitiful, I too miss the notification LED, and Android just gives you choice of things like which keyboard to use, which email or web browser app to use by default, using a plain old mp3 file as a ringtone and not spending 15 minutes going through an iTunes hack!

Big hopes for the Z2c, although the Z2 camera has had mixed reviews so maybe my hopes are misplaced. The HTC One Mini 2 has garbage specs, especially at launch price, and isn't really "mini" at all! Maybe the SGS5 Mini could steal the show, but it would need to be better value than the SGS4 Mini was, and would also need to be actually "mini" i.e. somewhere near 65mmx130mm - because let's face it, the chassis size counts if you like "phone sized phones", and after that chassis size you just hope the manufacturer can fit the biggest screen possible within that chassis.

Guest andybarker

Nice to see what a regular Android user actually thinks of using iOS devices.

I would add one thing to the logic of which OS to choose (as opposed to which phone) - I tend to advise people that aren't too tech savvy to stick with what they are familiar with.  If the rest of the family have iOS devices, and you have no burning reason to go Android, then stick with iOS devices (and vice versa).

Most of the people reading this forum could fairly easily change between iOS and Android, but I know people that have really struggled with the change even though they only use basic features.

Guest glossywhite

Bravo! 

For a forum which is mainly inhabited by rabid Android stalwarts with irrational, irritatingly obsessive borderline O.C.D. compulsions to rant and dismiss anything which is from Cupertino, you, fine Sir, are not just a breath of fresh air, but a STREAM of intellectual purified, neutral oxygen being pumped into a stale, musty room full of Android die-hards wearing blinkers.

I "get" this great feeling about you and the tone in which you wrote this review. You seem a happy person, honest, calm and open - I sincerely recommend that you be given a promotion to chief editor and reviewer, since the complete absence of bias and nitpicking is just lovely to read, in a section of technology full of ridicule and idiotic nonsensical "hatred" from people too scared or cowardly to speak the truth in an open and absolutely honest manner about something which is not their pet toy.

I thoroughly agree with all your points, and even if I didn't, due to your humble, eloquent and relaxed style, I can't for one minute imagine myself being tempted to rattle out an angry, defensive retort to such a decent chap as yourself.

Modaco - PROMOTE THIS MAN TO THE VERY TOP OF YOUR RANKS - he's got what it takes.

PS: Being a fellow redhead has massively helped too, he he :P

Guest MJonMoDaCo

Wonderful. Thanks for being just such a fair-minded scribe, Squire.

I can see what the problem is in respect to the specs. It's unfortunate that the rumors of the Sony Z3 Compact is the only news on the horizon. Yes, I'm an Android die-hard, but it's not because I don't like iOS or think of it as terrible:

This really echoes my thoughts on iPhone.  If you want a simple but high end experience and don't care about changing things or tinkering, it's perfect.

If you like to customise, hack, change, and upgrade stuff, you have to go Android.

That was the main point for Apple, and good on them. They have done a fairly good job at that haven't they?

But as you'd understand, us Android users have really been waiting for an Android device that isn't huge, and yet has good specs on-board, and, well... we're in the process of "hurry up and wait". I'm pretty sure eventually Apple will have made things a bit easier in terms of the itunes syncing process before too long. It's long overdue, anyway.

But back onto the topic of what I'm sure is more than just a "niche" market: those who don't want huge phones. I don't think 4.5" is too big, but 5.5" most certainly is. I'm usually using two hands on my phone anyway - it's faster - go on, admit it. :D

But for the solid minority of us (a third, perhaps?), we'll find large screens cumbersome, and really won't bother.

Personally, I'm sure there'll be more than just the Z3 to fill that gap in the market. I'm guessing that Apple will be most judicious in that respect, because I'm sure they don't want to alienate their customer base when they're only making limited releases of their operating system. Which brings me to the last and not necessarily important point. The OS. It's the insight into the notifications that's an example of where iOS really ought to up it's game. It's hardly above them, but I think the use of the status bar can (and should) only improve.

In time, and with those such improvements, I'm sure even I can be willing to buy one. But I'll be voiding that warranty by jail-breaking immediately :D

Well written article Sir, I commend you greatly.

Edit: Seems as if somebody else as been thinking of this very same problem. Apple, are you listening?

Edited by MJonMoDaCo

Guest Voxpop2011

I have gone from Android to Apple and now to Blackberry, albeit with a cheap Android to handle my second number.  When I moved to Apple, I started with the 8GB 3G.  It was infinitely superior to my then Android (LG Viewty I) and the camera was so much better, although I don't set much store by megapixels no matter how high, preferring a proper camera for photos.  I loved the app store and downloaded loads. 

Whilst owning the Apple, I continued buying Androids and after the LG came the ZTE Skate.  This 'modern' Android handset was a relevation.  You could make it your own just by installing a launcher and rooting, meant you could uninstall bloatware and banish in-app advertising.  Whoopee.  After a number of years using the Apple 3G, I made the leap to the iPhone 4 and splashed out on the 16GB model.  What a stylish phone, and apart from the smooth operating system, the all glass design was beautiful.  Yet the user experience was hampered by the lock down applied by Apple.  Ultimately I did jailbreak, but it still did not compare to Android. 

My next Android phone was the Huawei G510, which proved to be rather disappointing.  It soon began to play up resulting in a return to Vodafone.  Behaved okay for a while, before going completely bonkers.  Back to Vodafone and I was able to exchange it for a new model.

At some point I knew that for me Apple was over and being less than enamoured with the Huawei, I sold both and made the jump to Blackberry (Z10).  Of the operating systems I have tried so far, Blackberry has to be the most restrictive.  I also found it took me a very long time to adjust.  The handset is responsive and neat looking, but the hub drives me mad and I have removed it from the home screen.

I still have a foot in the Android camp with the Vodafone £50 Smart 4 mini, but have decided that the future is Android and I will be selling the Blackberry and Smart 4 in favour of a dual sim phone.

Guest glossywhite

I often wonder why people feel as if they HAVE to like either one platform OR the other, and say "X is the future" and/or "I hate Y and Z, A is the best".

It's not a competition, as much as mfrs make you feel like it is. Why would you care what anyone else uses, or which product "wins"? It's laughable (and extremely sad)  that people really care that much about taking sides over it.

Guest Zarch1972

Completely agree with everything you've said 100%.

This is scarily close to my experiences!

Nice to see what a regular Android user actually thinks of using iOS devices.

Bravo! 

For a forum which is mainly inhabited by rabid Android stalwarts with irrational, irritatingly obsessive borderline O.C.D. compulsions to rant and dismiss anything which is from Cupertino, you, fine Sir, are not just a breath of fresh air, but a STREAM of intellectual purified, neutral oxygen being pumped into a stale, musty room full of Android die-hards wearing blinkers.

Wonderful. Thanks for being just such a fair-minded scribe, Squire.

Well written article Sir, I commend you greatly.

This really echoes my thoughts on iPhone.

Wow, i'm honestly humbled and very embarrassed by everyone's kind comments...... I was only having a ramble and didn't expect the article to hit such a chord with people. :)

Its almost two weeks in now and i'm really not fussed that the iPhone it runs iOS rather than Android. The phone just seems to work for me. As for the camera, its brilliant and certainly an improvement over my M7.

The size of the device is still awesome and it just being 4" appears little hindrance to my day to day tasks, I certainly don't miss the larger device.

As I said in the article, my enthusiasm for hacking/rooting/roms and slashing has withered over the years so i'm happy with stock and it seems on the evidence of the past fortnight that i'm not too bothered if that is iOS or Android. Which in a way surprises me as I had predetermined ideas that iOS was 'crap'. But much of that was based on 5 years ago with my first iPhone and then the 'we're all Android' ignorance i've been surrounded with since.

Word of warning though, take my enthusiasm with a pinch of salt, iOS might not be for everyone. There are plenty of Android basics that people could instantly miss. But if you're the sort of person who just phones people, uses social media apps and is just part of the 'general public' then you never know, the iPhone could be worth a try.

The biggest miss for me though is all those Play Store/Amazon App Store purchases i've racked up over the years. :(

Looking ahead, I really don't see any smaller form factor Android device in the immediate future bringing the same 'quality' of product to the table that matches the iPhone 5S.

If I can get hold of one I would like to try the Sony Z1 Compact though, just to see if its the size of device that is getting me excited through this experiment rather than it being an iPhone.

Last thing to mention (again) is the fingerprint sensor. It 'just works' and really appears to be a flawless implementation. It becomes second nature because its so fast, so easy to use and is in exactly the right place on the front of the device (I'm looking at you here HTC One Max and Samsung S5). If a future Android manufacturer brings a fingerprint scanner to the table, then it has a tough job on its hand being as classy as the iPhone 5S implementation.

Guest andybarker

Is there any issue with either Google data or Apple data not being readily available on the other OS?  What I mean is, can you for example easily sign into your Google account on an iOS device and get all your contacts, emails, etc. synced without any manual transfer?

Earlier today I read an article about Apple's new home automation stuff, and a partial quote of "...so only your iPhone can unlock your garage door.".  It made me think about the potential issue being locked into one system, rather than being able to swap around iOS and Android without any restrictions or limitations.

Guest gadgetgaz

Thanks for the read, I agree totally with you about the size of modern phones. I went through exactly the same process having realised that I was not going to buy every bigger phones on each upgrade after the HTC One M7.

In my case though I plumped for the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact and haven't looked back. I agree it isn't as svelt as the 5S and not as good built quality but I did want to stay with Android and this was the only suitable device.

Guest glossywhite

Is there any issue with either Google data or Apple data not being readily available on the other OS?  What I mean is, can you for example easily sign into your Google account on an iOS device and get all your contacts, emails, etc. synced without any manual transfer?

Earlier today I read an article about Apple's new home automation stuff, and a partial quote of "...so only your iPhone can unlock your garage door.".  It made me think about the potential issue being locked into one system, rather than being able to swap around iOS and Android without any restrictions or limitations.

Great, so you get some malware on Android that allows the hacker access to your car, house and garage lock? I think not - this is Apple only, and they don't have any desire (thankfully) to share their hard developed secrets with Android - let Google do their own, considering how they're always saying that Android is so good.

Guest andybarker

Great, so you get some malware on Android that allows the hacker access to your car, house and garage lock? I think not - this is Apple only, and they don't have any desire (thankfully) to share their hard developed secrets with Android - let Google do their own, considering how they're always saying that Android is so good.

Was there a point to this?

Guest Voxpop2011

@Zarch: you can always go back to Android should the iPhone experiment ultimately fail.

I quite like a large handset, but 4.5 inches is the limit.  Any larger and the phone looks cumbersome.

Guest Zarch1972

@Zarch: you can always go back to Android should the iPhone experiment ultimately fail.

Indeed I can and hopefully will, we need just need a manufacturer to come up with that killer little package. :)

Guest jamoiholland

Indeed I can and hopefully will, we need just need a manufacturer to come up with that killer little package. :)

Herein lies the problem! I've got money ready to buy a new Android phone that's around 130mm x 65mm (with the largest screen they can fit in there) with high end specs including a decent camera. That doesn't exist right now, so I'll have to carry on with the Moto G and take my work iPhone 5c with me for the camera, and carry two devices all day :(

Guest glossywhite

Herein lies the problem! I've got money ready to buy a new Android phone that's around 130mm x 65mm (with the largest screen they can fit in there) with high end specs including a decent camera. That doesn't exist right now, so I'll have to carry on with the Moto G and take my work iPhone 5c with me for the camera, and carry two devices all day :(

Ah, it's a hard old life eh? ;)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.