[DEV][ROM][17.11.] CyanogenMod 11 (Android 4.4.4) for ZTE Open C / Kis 3

Guest KonstaT

Konstat see here:

http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=598421&view=findpost&p=34239193

qeekus looks like he is trying to link correctly for you.

He is still suggesting people to use his winzipped/mirrored version because everyone is still using the wrong recovery image to install.

Before there was no mention it was my CM11 build to begin with. This guy even had the nerve to send me messages and ask me to port other ROMs. I guess he wanted to post those to Russian forums as his own work too...

I'm all for spreading the word. But posting other peoples ROMs to other forums, there should always be a link to the original thread - that's all. No direct links to files (because people never bother to keep them up to date and you'll get old files), sure as hell there shouldn't be any winzipped/mirrored versions especially after I've told it's not allowed. If people can't read/understand/follow the instructions on the first few posts of this thread, they shouldn't bother with this at all.

edit:  nevermind, earlier post explains it.  no external sd installed.  putting one if fixed it.

And how did you even get it installed in the first place if don't have an external SD card?

That's one more reason to use CWM or TWRP linked in the first post (that only support external storage - just like the ROM). Also if you use a recovery image that supports internal emulated sdcard (/data/media) to install, it also means that /data partition gets never properly formatted when wiping the device! Try explaining that to that to some Russian guy though. After repeating "wrong recovery" without lying at least twenty times, he's still insisting there's something wrong with my ROM and that he needs to distribute winzipped versions (to install with broken recovery) even though told otherwise...

Guest haris182

I'm thinking about buying this phone, but what about battery life guys?

Can you provide screenshot or report of battery usage and screen-on time running CM11?

How can I expand internal storage with external MicroSD?

Thank you very much!

Edited by haris182

I'm thinking about buying this phone, but what about battery life guys?

Can you provide screenshot or report of battery usage and screen-on time running CM11?

I wouldn't expect any magnificent battery performance on this device in general. Open C only has 1400mAh battery and some Kis 3 variants even smaller (1200mAh). On CM11 battery life should be about the same as with stock ROM.

Here's my current battery stats. Mostly 3G standby, wifi on when not sleeping, screen on time ~one hour. Charged a little while USB debugging and few reboots skew the results a bit though. Should last over a week in my regular (no) use which is still worse than my previous ZTE device (Blade III). Should easily last for a day in anyone's 'normal' usage which is what is expected of smart phones these days.

post-834050-0-93228100-1411047142_thumb.

Dear KonstaT, thank you for your rom, I am using it more than 2 weeks and can definetly state that the hanging issue which has been reported by other users relates to the wifi.

When I leave my home with wifi on, the phone hangs just when it looses wifi signal. It happens every day with different wifi access points.

Now I'm just trying to remember to shut wifi off every time i go to the another location, and will possibly try Wi-Fi Matic to do that for me.

Anyone with freezes/reboots related to wifi. Could you please post the model/variant of your device and the stock firmware version your device was shipped with and/or the latest official ZTE update you have installed on your device? E.g. my device is ZTE Open C and the last official ZTE update I have installed is GEN_EU_P821E10V1.0.0B09 from EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip.

I can't reproduce this issue on my device and there's very little I can do without additional information. There's very few moving pieces left and firmware version of the modem on your device might be one of them.

Guest Pipotron3000

Hi !

Can anyone confirm if it could work on a FRENCH Open C, once patched ?

I said FRench, because camera is different, there is an added proximity sensor...

Different hardware.

Comebuy EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip, alone, crashed my phone (of course...if i known it was different hardware...).

I'm back to official ZTE FR root pack.

There is no Android compilation on open C FR version...

A suggestion ? Apart selling it  ^_^ 

Hi !

Can anyone confirm if it could work on a FRENCH Open C, once patched ?

I said FRench, because camera is different, there is an added proximity sensor...

Different hardware.

Comebuy EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip, alone, crashed my phone (of course...if i known it was different hardware...).

I'm back to official ZTE FR root pack.

There is no Android compilation on open C FR version...

A suggestion ? Apart selling it  ^_^ 

Have you tried it? What makes you say it needs to be patched? It's already confirmed working on French Leclerc Open C and even more exotic Kis 3 variants.

Could you please post the hardware information on your device?

Are you sure your Open C has a proximity/ambient light sensor?
Edit. It seems that French Open C really does have an primity/als, at least taos sensor is enabled in the kernel. As for camera, I can't find any obvious difference to other firmware (well, SP0A20 camera driver is built but it's 0.3mpix sensor and looks more like something that would be a front facing camera). :o Please post the hardware info for the camera ('cat /proc/driver/camera_id_back'), it would be interesting to know for sure.

Camera is already confirmed working on French Open C and I've also enabled support for taos proximity/als in my builds. There's no reason why my CM11/B2G builds wouldn't work on your device.

Guest Pipotron3000

I posted hardware infos on the provided thread ;)

Sorry about "patch" confusion, i was trying to ask if your ROM, once upgraded over Comebuy Android ROM (not working on ZTE FR Open C) would "solve" the camera trouble or not.

It seems your ROM will work on mine, like on LECLERC version, and so be the only Android ROM working on ZTE Open C FR version :D

I will test it and report here.

Thanks !!!

I posted hardware infos on the provided thread ;)

Sorry about "patch" confusion, i was trying to ask if your ROM, once upgraded over Comebuy Android ROM (not working on ZTE FR Open C) would "solve" the camera trouble or not.

It seems your ROM will work on mine, like on LECLERC version, and so be the only Android ROM working on ZTE Open C FR version :D

I will test it and report here.

Thanks !!!

Thanks for the hardware info. I'm still wondering what ZTE has done to break the camera on stock Firefox OS firmware because I have the exact same sensor. :o Camera/sensors should work after installing this ROM over any stock firmware. It's kernel configuration and userspace camera/sensor HALs (and supporting libraries) included in the ROM that make the difference here.

Offtopic. I really though my device had died over night. :P Nothing happened when pushing the power button. Only blinking red LED when connected to a charger (in ID 05c6:f006 Qualcomm, Inc. mode). Apparently battery can go so flat so it doesn't even have the juice to power offline charging. After a while in charger, it boots again. :) It's happened couple of times that 'Android system' eats all the battery during night but it's never gotten this flat before...

Guest Pipotron3000

I installed your ROM...and it works !

Camera is working, and so far everything else :D

I followed your ClockWorkMod tutorial (and i made a backup this time :P). The only trouble i got was the usual Google USB drivers / unrecognized device...but only with "adb reboot bootloader" command, not in "normal" mode :huh:

Thank you ! I can now try Android on this phone with camera, and without phone call hang and various crashes ;)

I'm really happy to try Cyanogen mod.

PS : about battery, it happened to me, too. Totally flat...even LED charge was not working at first ;)

Hi, this ROM makes my phone randomly 'dies' - black screen, no response to any hardware buttons.  I had to remove the battery to reboot the phone once in this state.  It happens about three to four times a day.  I have no idea what triggers this but it is really annoying as you may well know how tricky it is to remove the back cover in order to pull the battery. 

This is a ZTE Open C bought on eBay with FFOS_EU_EBAY_OPENCV1.0.0B04.  I used the Update Tool on windows to unlock the bootloader, installed recovery-cwm6050-kis3.img, EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip (works great), gapps-kk-20140606-signed.zip then cm-11-20140914-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-kis3.zip.

Any idea?  Thanks.

Can you please update the front page where known issue is currently stated as 'none'.  This is misleading.  I think it is better to update it to say 'please read posts in this thread to see if there are any reported issues'.  I wouldn't have tried the ROM had I knew other people reported randomly freezes.  Thanks.

Hi, this ROM makes my phone randomly 'dies' - black screen, no response to any hardware buttons.  I had to remove the battery to reboot the phone once in this state.  It happens about three to four times a day.  I have no idea what triggers this but it is really annoying as you may well know how tricky it is to remove the back cover in order to pull the battery. 

This is a ZTE Open C bought on eBay with FFOS_EU_EBAY_OPENCV1.0.0B04.  I used the Update Tool on windows to unlock the bootloader, installed recovery-cwm6050-kis3.img, EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip (works great), gapps-kk-20140606-signed.zip then cm-11-20140914-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-kis3.zip.

Any idea?  Thanks.

Can you please update the front page where known issue is currently stated as 'none'.  This is misleading.  I think it is better to update it to say 'please read posts in this thread to see if there are any reported issues'.  I wouldn't have tried the ROM had I knew other people reported randomly freezes.  Thanks.

There's no issues reported that I can reproduce on my device. Also it doesn't state anywhere that "known issue is currently stated as 'none'"! There must be a different hardware or software revision that is related to the wifi(?) problem some people are reporting.

There's no such thing as 'locked' bootloader on these devices. ZTE has left bootloader on these devices wide open and you can fastboot flash/boot anything on the device out-of-the-box. You only need to use a windows flasher to install an engineering build if you need to have root access on stock Firefox OS (to update gecko/gaia manually). Now with custom recoveries available, that is completely unnecessary too. I wouldn't advice anyone to use a windows flasher.

Also that is not how you're instructed to install this ROM. Please follow instructions in the third post and make sure you've followed all the steps (including formatting /system partition).

Hi,

Today I also had this black screen three times and it realy seems to have to do with wifi. The phone does not wake up wenn pressing the power key, only battery remove does help.

I am at holiday in a Hotel with differnt open hot spots and it happend if there is very bad signal in between two of them.

I didnt had this til towday in a stable wifi sourrounding. It was the first time since I use your build.

Mikel

Edited by okmikel

Guest Pipotron3000

Two times in two days on my side. Very boring, because opening that f*** Open C case can be tricky  :P

Is there any mean to provide a crash log ? For now, i will cut Wifi when i don't use it and see what happen.

So could it be something related to open networks? You're not auto-connecting to open networks somehow? Or if you're in range of two (or more) networks you've connected before and it craps out not knowing which one to connect after sleep? I'd really need some steps to reproduce this on my device.

Have you changed any settings under Settings -> Wifi -> Advanced? I've only changed my wifi sleep policy to 'Only when plugged in' myself. Does changing 'Network notification' option make any difference? Or changing 'Avoid poor connections'?

ZTE has made some small modifications to wifi configs so we could try using those (attached below, please test and report back). I've already changed kernel too much for the wifi module from ZTE stock ROM to load. On kernel side, ZTE has also reclaimed some memory from wlan driver which might be a problem with open source wlan module we're using. There's really no way of knowing if ZTE has made any changes to their wifi driver as it's not open sourced.

cm-11-kis3-wifi.zip
md5:0ebed8e93e5e097733aeb5f7da14bf82

I have changed no Options so far, now I switched off notification for open networks and also switched on "only when plugged in".

I also installed the ZIP of your last post.

Switching off wifi in standby by hand solved the think simce yesterday btw., no more lockup if I do so.

I will report what happens now, but I have only left till tomorrow for testing, then I will go home again.

Guest Pipotron3000

Didn't changed any WIFI base setting on my side.

But for sure, i used several networks (at home, two work places...).

Crash happen when sleeping/awake, never when using it.

ZTE is really boring  :D

Guest snorkel2

Hi,

Just installed your rom works great.  but I have a question.  My baseband says unknown and data transfer seems really slow even on wifi.

Is there a way to get a updated modem?

Edited by snorkel2

With the changes from today it happend again two times, always with phone in standby, wifi on and moving from one access point range to an others range in the hotel. Moving around with wifi off did not lead to the black screen.

One time I had one other thing when moving with phone on and wifi on: the screen turned white and only battery in and out helped. Dont know if it is related, but it happend in the same area like the black screens in standby.

Edited by okmikel

Hi,

Just installed your rom works great.  but I have a question.  My baseband says unknown and data transfer seems really slow even on wifi.

Is there a way to get a updated modem?

ZTE RIL doesn't return baseband version so 'Unknown' is actually accurate. ;) ZTE even uses a hardcoded value in their stock firmware.

We can fetch the version from modem but it will still likely be the same for all KitKat modems. I guess it's still better than nothing and this will be included if/when I release another build. In rooted shell:
setprop gsm.version.baseband `head -1 /firmware/verinfo/ver_info.txt`
There's a modem included in every ZTE firmware package (NON-HLOS.bin) but I highly doubt you're going to gain anything 'updating' your modem.

With the changes from today it happend again two times, always with phone in standby, wifi on and moving from one access point range to an others range in the hotel. Moving around with wifi off did not lead to the black screen.

One time I had one other thing when moving with phone on and wifi on: the screen turned white and only battery in and out helped. Dont know if it is related, but it happend in the same area like the black screens in standby.

Ok, thanks. I guess it's time to test reverting that ZTE kernel change next. I have too many local changes to release a test kernel right now though...

Guest snorkel2

I had a similar issue like that with my GS3 with newer kitkat roms, it didn't black screen, but when I moved out of wifi range it would never reconnect and I had to reboot to get it to connect, would not even connect manually.

I updated the modem to a newer one and the issue went away.

I had a similar issue like that with my GS3 with newer kitkat roms, it didn't black screen, but when I moved out of wifi range it would never reconnect and I had to reboot to get it to connect, would not even connect manually.

I updated the modem to a newer one and the issue went away.

Well, that's exactly the reason I've been asking 'what is the last ZTE firmware you had/installed?' from people with this issue. It's also the modem version they'll have. I still doubt there's any significant differences between modems though.

This is a bit more severe as it completely freezes the device...

Anyone with freezes/reboots related to wifi. Could you please post the model/variant of your device and the stock firmware version your device was shipped with and/or the latest official ZTE update you have installed on your device? E.g. my device is ZTE Open C and the last official ZTE update I have installed is GEN_EU_P821E10V1.0.0B09 from EU_FFOS+to+Android.zip.

I can't reproduce this issue on my device and there's very little I can do without additional information. There's very few moving pieces left and firmware version of the modem on your device might be one of them.