How to root your Hudl 2

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest state-it

Update I did see this but after installing titanium backup (only thing 'titanium' I could find) I couldn't see a way to freeze a process/service?:

In Titanium, go into 'Backup/Restore' section.

Select an app or process by pressing on it, then that will bring up a window with the choices 'Backup', 'Freeze', or 'Uninstall'.

Choose 'Freeze'.

Guest gribley

In Titanium, go into 'Backup/Restore' section.

Select an app or process by pressing on it, then that will bring up a window with the choices 'Backup', 'Freeze', or 'Uninstall'.

Choose 'Freeze'.

Thanks state-it,

Seems obvious now but I wasn`t even sure I was using the right app before :)

I am now feeling a lot safer that it will not brick during the next OTA.

Cheers

Paul

Oh dear.

Had realised that I'd deleted the Tesco apps rather than just freezing them, so went back and re-rooted using the initial method in this post. All fine, froze the apps in Titanium Backup.

Then all hell broke loose, error messages on screen, things stopping, RUSSIAN processes stopping (eh?) and com.android stopping, everything fails.

Now I can only boot back into recovery. Have tried wiping cache, have tried factory reset, nothing happens, just end up back in recovery.

Can anyone help?

cheers, mbalax

Guest turboteeth

great work here paul at last i can use my sd card for storage what a let down with android os removing that capability not so bad on a hudl but some of the other devices i own only have 1gb internal :-O anyway its done now and here a few tips for people struggling...

...i could not get mtp/adb drivers to install no matter what until somebody here pointed me to the auto adb install tool over on xda so thanks for that 

but the main tip is for the people getting stuck at the "target reported max download size of 1261264896 bytes" i had this error and i think im a little lucky as i did the operation on my old laptop only a crappy dual core acer with 2gb ram and it was stuck on that for ages so i ripped out usb kicked the hudl 2 slammed down the lid and left it all was fine so after id "chilled out" i connected upto my quad core pc and was faced with the same adb troubles and then finally the same "target reported max download size of 1261264896 bytes"  i was just about to pull the plug again and then it started doing its thing so my advice would be to leave it a while and see if it gets on with the job

running windows 7 64 bit

Guest cwazypaving

Having got this installed, please could someone answer:

1) Is it safe to leave OTA enabled (I did not do anything about this)?

2) Will OTA affect the current root status?

3) If desired, is it safe to do full reset via the huld2 recovery (on turn on, keep holding power and volume)?

I realise this would remove root also if it works but would the root method have any bad effects such as bricking it?

Lastly, thanks to Paul and all other useful input.

Having got this installed, please could someone answer:

3) If desired, is it safe to do full reset via the huld2 recovery (on turn on, keep holding power and volume)?

I realise this would remove root also if it works but would the root method have any bad effects such as bricking it?

Lastly, thanks to Paul and all other useful input.

Here's my views: -

From my memory, other than at first setup, Tesco have no history of deploying 'forced' OTA updates - you should have the option of just ignoring the update alert.

Unknown - depends upon what is included in the OTA update and with the original hudl1 it depended on how you originally rooted your hudl and what you did to it after you rooted it as the update included integrity checks. With hudl2 this is a little different as there is currently only this rooting method - but failing future update integrity checks is still a possibility.

And for your last question - it would be a try it and see :huh:

Guest gribley

"but failing future update integrity checks is still a possibility."

So turn it off and be happy until Paul releases a new firmware upload.  That is what I am going with anyway, play it safe :)

Regards

Paul

Now also realise can use "google now loader" (from playstore) to remove all that Tesco branding which make it even better as it is.

Guest I am eusty

Now also realise can use "google now loader" (from playstore) to remove all that Tesco branding which make it even better as it is.

- Stop, then disable the apps from Settings>Apps

- Install Nova as the launcher and hide the ones you can't disable [emoji3]

Guest biker955

OK been trying all afternoon to get the device recognised in fastboot mode.

Running Linux Mint 17 64bit.

adb sees the device fine, reboots to droid boot.

fastboot -i 0x1d4d device

shows nothing.

Ran as sudo with same error.

Tried on 32bit version same error

Tried on XP

fastboot sees the tablet, but gives error on filename not found.

have renamed file to system.img

used:

fastboot -i 0x1d4d flash system system.img

renamed to a.img same error. (changed system.img to a.img)

Have tried:

creating an udev rule to add the ox1d4d to my user, same as the other android devices I have.

adb shell

gives shell, but no root access.

adb root fails

Device is new, downloaded a 120Mb update file when connected.

Any clues guys.

Guest emayljames

could someone dump there mmcblk0p2

open terminal type

su

cat dev/block/mmcblk0p2 >/sdcard/efs.img

and upload please

thanks

As requested.

I have the latest Tesco update/rooted image applied.

Edit: just uploaded to gdrive as 33mb.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5Iy--R-nxrgekJ3MmF2WmdMOEE/edit?usp=docslist_api

Edited by emayljames

Following this post with great interest as you kind people helped me to root my Hudl 1. Anybody got some spare time to provide a STEP BY STEP GUIDE to root Hudl 2.

I should add but you probably guessed,it needs to be reasonably easy to follow. am sure there are a lot out there who need your help

Thanks in anticipation

• 2 weeks later...
Guest trueriver

@Paul

how did you produce your rooted image in the first place, please?

On the Hudl 1, iirr a manufacturer-specific tool was used to copy the /system partition byte by byte, then that image mounted on a Linux system as an ext* filesytem, the su binary copied in, and finally the new image distributed to be written back with the same tool. Are you doing roughly the same here, and is it ADB, or flashtools, or what, that is taking the place of the RK specific tool?

If not, then please post a summary of the process you used, please.

Please do let me know how it was done, as I am keen to know how to repeat the entire process, rather than simply starting from a file posted by an online guru.

Many thanks

River~~

Guest Desolutional

@Paul

how did you produce your rooted image in the first place, please?

On the Hudl 1, iirr a manufacturer-specific tool was used to copy the /system partition byte by byte, then that image mounted on a Linux system as an ext* filesytem, the su binary copied in, and finally the new image distributed to be written back with the same tool. Are you doing roughly the same here, and is it ADB, or flashtools, or what, that is taking the place of the RK specific tool?

If not, then please post a summary of the process you used, please.

Please do let me know how it was done, as I am keen to know how to repeat the entire process, rather than simply starting from a file posted by an online guru.

Many thanks

River~~

Agreed, it'll also let us experiment with different images with different apps (even if we lose OTA functionality).

Guest cwazypaving

Things seem to have gone quiet.

Does anyone know if there is a way to go back to stock so that OTA updates could be used? Paul's first thread suggest something about reverting root from the SU app but I guess this is not an option if you have deleted tesco apps etc as an OTA integrity check would fail. Is there a stock Rom that could be flashed? Or can the original root be flashed and the revert in SU done? What would the factory reset do?

Is the only option once rooted and an OTA update to comes along to wait for an updated image to flash?

Having rooted I think I would prefer to go back to stock as I don't want to brick my device at some point when tempted by an OTA but I can't remember whether I removed any apps or made changes that would cause problems and I am not sure if it is possible or how to.

Hopefully Paul will add more info when he has time (assuming the Tesco devs he went to meet let him go home :-)

Guest Desolutional

Things seem to have gone quiet.

Does anyone know if there is a way to go back to stock so that OTA updates could be used? Paul's first thread suggest something about reverting root from the SU app but I guess this is not an option if you have deleted tesco apps etc as an OTA integrity check would fail. Is there a stock Rom that could be flashed? Or can the original root be flashed and the revert in SU done? What would the factory reset do?

Is the only option once rooted and an OTA update to comes along to wait for an updated image to flash?

Having rooted I think I would prefer to go back to stock as I don't want to brick my device at some point when tempted by an OTA but I can't remember whether I removed any apps or made changes that would cause problems and I am not sure if it is possible or how to.

Hopefully Paul will add more info when he has time (assuming the Tesco devs he went to meet let him go home :-)

First question; you have to reflash Paul's "stock" rooted image, and uninstall SuperSU (AND the library) from within the ROM. DO NOT UNINSTALL ANY SYSTEM APPS! Once again; DON'T UNINSTALL ANY SYSTEM APPS. Only ever disable them, even when rooted.

2nd; yes, you have to wait for Paul to update the images in the first post - hence why me and trueriver were asking how Paul obtained the stock images in the first place, so we could try and tinker around with mods and other stuff prior to flash. DON'T OTA when rooted, it will PROBABLY break something, and your Hudl will die and you'll have to bury it in the Tesco Cemetery.

Also Paul's being held captive by the Tesco "devs" cause they don't want us to ever know how to unlock the bootloader. And yes, half of us are probably more computationally interlectual than any said "devs". On another note, maybe Pegatron will release a new update for the Hudl in time for christmas? Yeah, our Hudl was made by Autobots (well Pegatron does sound like a transformer).

Guest s.windsor

Hi. Just got pre Xmas Hudl2 and went to root it to allow remote play on PS4. Managed to get Android installer on Hudl2 but no further. Fastboot command ignored. On screen Hudl2 has ' unable to find valid installation media ' Maggie found a solution or know what I'm doing wrong? Help please. Total newbie so apologies if I've done something wrong. Attached photo of screen (apologies for the reflections) to show what I mean.

post-110492-0-53212600-1419085679_thumb.

Edited by s.windsor

Guest gribley

Hi. Just got pre Xmas Hudl2 and went to root it to allow remote play on PS4. Managed to get Android installer on Hudl2 but no further. Fastboot command ignored. On screen Hudl2 has ' unable to find valid installation media ' Maggie found a solution or know what I'm doing wrong? Help please. Total newbie so apologies if I've done something wrong. Attached photo of screen (apologies for the reflections) to show what I mean.

Sounds like the same issue I had with ADB drivers....  if you`ve not already done it install pdanet (google it).  It will fail and rollback, as not a phone, but leaves fixed drivers.

Good luck....  and download a full Titan backup to to freeze that hudl update service (I think Lucky Patcher can also do it but not sure how)

P.S. don't be tempted to reboot hudl for a few mins.  The upload/install doesn`t make it clear when it is time to reboot device so just be patient until you are sure it is done

Edited by gribley

Guest s.windsor

Thanks for reply. Will try later and let you know how I get on.

Tried as you suggested and no joy. Added files via device manager but still got t he same error messages. Tried various other Samsung, archos, Google etc and still no good. Will keep trying and I might drop on it by chance you never know. Keep you informed of progress.

Thanks Robin. Driver load (composite) ok. Still same result. I give up!

Edited by s.windsor