Dissapointed in battery life

Guest Dave UK

Guest Dave UK

Is it just me, or is anyone else dissapointed in the battery life of the hudl2? JUst seems to deplete so quickly. Took mine off charge yesterday, checked facebook quickly and the battery dropped 3% in just 2 minutes.Play a game for 5 minutes and thats another 10% dropped.

Im currently using JuiceDefenderPlus to try and extend the battery life as much as possible.

Absoutely love the device, just wish the battery lasted longer then what it currently does.

Anyone else experiencing this or have I hopefully got a fauly unit?!

Guest seanspotatobusiness

I have to agree. For extended use you'll need an external battery. This is probably why they don't specify the capacity in mAh.

Guest punjabi

Yes. The battery's too small and gets hot when under load. Tesco dropped the ball on this one and shouldn't have skimped.

Agree with you guys on all account . I was thinking it was just me too. Its strange as I've read some official reviews saying it does really well on standby mode and others saying the exact opposite... I wonder whether its affecting some more than other .

For me, battery life in standby is good: as others have said, the thing will go for days. 

But streaming HD video across the LAN makes the battery percentage drop faster than the fuel gauge on my 5-litre petrol V8 when I have my foot down.

• 3 months later...

I've just got my Hudl 2 and am currently doing a battery test. With about 40% usage with wifi on and downloading, and the rest with wifi off and listening to music, reading or playing games my uptime on one battery load is 12 hours 35 minutes and the battery is at 14%. Is that so bad?

Got my device 5 days ago, not rooted, have done the battery training bit, I.e. at least 3 full charge/discharge cycles, and am getting 7 hours of virtually constant WiFi surfing with a bit of downloading and music playing thrown it. Just lost 4% over 9 hours standby.

Seems fine to me, and probably almost comparable to my nexus 7 2012 when it was new.

Guest r00tmydevices

WOW! I'm not getting anything close to that. My h2 had around 41% battery remaining. Left in standby and two days later the batter was dead flat, couldn't even attempt to boot up. Left it switched off and plugged into a mains charger over night. Really wish I could get to the bottom of what is draining the battery so fast or if in fact I have a faulty unit or battery?

Got my device 5 days ago, not rooted, have done the battery training bit, I.e. at least 3 full charge/discharge cycles, and am getting 7 hours of virtually constant WiFi surfing with a bit of downloading and music playing thrown it. Just lost 4% over 9 hours standby.

Seems fine to me, and probably almost comparable to my nexus 7 2012 when it was new.

Would add that I've disabled all the tesco apps I can on an unrooted device, and am using google now launcher with 'cards' turned off.

One other characteristic of my battery is that it seems to take a longer time to charge than I was expecting, from empty 4% it takes about 150 -180 mins to 100%, not knowing much about batteries I am assuming this is down to getting a substantial charge in the thing.

Guest mark2410

im pretty sure the low battery life is cpu management.  ive got the hudle and a yogapad2 which should have a fractionaly better cpu but essentially the same.  the hudle always feels much more snappy than the lenovo but the battery life on the lenovo last forever.

but you know its cheap and quickso i can live having to recharge it pretty much everday

Guest stevehudl2

My hudl sucks power harder than my 3 amplifier system in my car but it is very fast for such a cheap tablet but that's cool, I don't let it get low, as soon as I've finished doing what I'm doing, the hudl is straight back on charge, not t had a low battery warning yet.

As I understand it the CPU on the hudle has been over clocked to make it faster which will drain more power root users may be able to use "SET CPU" app to change the settings to something that's better for them

Guest seanspotatobusiness

As I understand it the CPU on the hudle has been over clocked to make it faster which will drain more power root users may be able to use "SET CPU" app to change the settings to something that's better for them

Doesn't the frequency change according to demand anyway? Most of the time, I think mine isn't running at maximum saturation so the clock speed will be low.

Guest ajsexton

I admit I dont use my Hudl extensively, but I have been more than happy with its battery performance, have streamed netflix on it for hours on end (probably in the region of 3 to 4 hours) from a little under full charge and still had ~50% remaining; and my standby life has been outstanding for such a cheap device, seems to be along the lines of others here 0.5 - 1% per hour ish.

I have got rid of the tesco launcher and use Google Now, cards are on.

One thing I will add though is that I haven't really tested the standby much since the last update, I felt the one time it had been on for a fair while that it drained faster than it used to, maybe 1 - 1.5% per hour

Guest r00tmydevices

Here's a screenshot taken in Simple Battery Graph app showing the pitiful battery performance I'm getting whilst only running Chrome browser on wi-fi!

post-1052333-0-20758000-1424369793_thumb

Guest r00tmydevices

Had something really annoying happen with my h2. Was using it a couple of days ago. The battery level was decreasing at an alarming figure (-28% per hour) with wifi on and only Chrome browser running. I let it run completely flat and switch itself off. Plugged it into the mains using supplied Tesco charger and cable and left it on charge over night. Went to switch it on for the first time since just earlier and whilst booting it up, straight after the hudl graphic was dispkayed onscreen, it made an alert type sound them switched itself off. Switched it on again, same thing. Tried maybe 4-5 times but no joy. So plugged the mains charger in again. Red battery icon appeared onscreen then screen went off and red LED light lit up. Five minutes later it changed to green. Does this normally indicate the battery is fully charged because I've had that happen a number of times? Even on the replacement unit I picked up earlier this week on behalf of a family member. Starting to feel my own unit needs to be exchanged. The battery has been poop since day one.}

Looks like something is really wrong there. Mine doesn't drain that quickly and I use it a lot.

You willing to try a factory reset and see what happens before you log into your google account and restore all your apps.

Has to be worth a try before returning for an exchange.