hudl2 does not charge

Guest horizon21

Guest horizon21

I have a strange issue with the h2 - I plug the charger into the socket, the led goes red, but the device's battery drops instead of charging. The issue is temporarily fixed if I restart the hudl2.

Does anyone else have a similar issue?

I am on vanilla (un-rooted) firmware with the latest update on it.

EDIT: A solution has been found for the time being! Thanks to Chris for stepping in for us! All credits go to him and the Tesco dev team.

Hi All - we've just updated the story with a quote from Tesco confirming that it is aware of the problem and will be rolling out a software update to fix affected tablets. I think that's an FTW right there. Oh yes.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2382075/tescos-hudl-2-tablet-doesnt-recognise-its-own-charger

Edited by horizon21

I had to prise the small tab in the USB port on the Hudl2 out from the side only it would appear that at some point, pushing the cable in (probably the wrong way round - why they can't make them all the same way is beyond me!) appears to have bent it.  The result being that mine was also showing the red charging light but not actually charging. (probably shorting out in all fairness!)

Guest Desolutional

I had to prise the small tab in the USB port on the Hudl2 out from the side only it would appear that at some point, pushing the cable in (probably the wrong way round - why they can't make them all the same way is beyond me!) appears to have bent it.  The result being that mine was also showing the red charging light but not actually charging. (probably shorting out in all fairness!)

Yeah, I've had that happen to me a few times as well. I for the life of me, can't even understand why they've placed the USB port on the bottom of the tablet, instead of the top, especially with the volume buttons on the right hand side of the device.

Guest aerostar

Yeah, I've had that happen to me a few times as well. I for the life of me, can't even understand why they've placed the USB port on the bottom of the tablet, instead of the top, especially with the volume buttons on the right hand side of the device.

You are talking about the HUDL 1 !

Tthe HUDL 2 has the power supply on the right hand side and the volume on the top.

Guest Desolutional

You are talking about the HUDL 1 !

Tthe HUDL 2 has the power supply on the right hand side and the volume on the top.

Oops, I meant portrait orientation (which Tesco have seemed to make the primary orientation this time).

Oops, I meant portrait orientation (which Tesco have seemed to make the primary orientation this time).

I'd have said bottom as well in fairness as I hold it in portrait the majority of the time.

I have also noticed the same problem as the OP, twice in 4 weeks. Red LED lit but not charging using the supplied charger and lead. Restart the device without removing the cable and all is well again.

Guest state-it

...doing a restart solves it.

This thing reminds me of Windows some years ago.

It really needs an icon of a 'Start' button to press to shutdown  or reboot it ;)

Guest bryanchapman9999

I noticed yesterday, when plugged into a 4way extension the hudl said it was charging from USB - plug directly into a wall socket and its on AC charging.

Never seen that before.

I noticed yesterday, when plugged into a 4way extension the hudl said it was charging from USB - plug directly into a wall socket and its on AC charging.

It does that based on how much charging current it can sense is available to it i.e. if connected to a computer USB port (that would be low current) or into a mains charger (that would be high current or AC charging).

If you're saying charging from the mains charger plugged into a mains 4way extension is only saying USB charging and all you're doing is moving the charger and same USB lead to a mains socket that's not good.

For anyone having charging issues using the supplied mains charger and USB cable - why can't you just contact Tesco Support, get a returns number and either change the hudl2 or mains charger/lead or both or take the option of just getting your money back - lifes too short - if it doesn't work ......

Edited by Guest

Guest mark2410

it seems im getting the same problem.

if i plug in the changer (the hudl one) it charges, but battery app shows as itll take like a day and a half to fully charge.  if i power it off and back on,same app says an hour and a half.

Edited by mark2410

Guest Clever Trevor

I've had this problem on two Hudle 2's now. The first one I spoke to Tesco's Tech line, got a return / replacement number then had to convince the store manager there was actually a charging problem before she would exchange it. Within a week, my replacement unit is the same.

It seems when the battery is below the warning level, it will maintain the battery level but won't charge. After turning it off and back on, it charges quite normally.

I'll no doubt be trying another Hudl 2 soon if they don't issue an update to solve this problem.

Maybe a blue one or pink.

Guest mark2410

hmm, so just contacted the tech line and unserprisingly they wanted me to do a factory reset, and so far its cured the problem.

now ill grant that ive only been 30 min with it but so far its cured.  i dont see why its worked but fingers crossed.

Guest Clever Trevor

I can assure you it won't work. I tried it twice with my first Hudl 2. I've no idea why they would even suggest you doing it and wasting your time like this. It only worked the same as it would if you turned it off and back on.

It needs addressing as an inherent issue in the software or hardware.

Hope they do eventually get to the bottom of this problem asap.

Good luck.

Edited by Clever Trevor

Guest Squelch

Plugging the Hudl 2 into a PC does not provide enough current to charge, in fact any charger that supplies only the basic 500mA USB standard will possibly only prolong the battery life, with a steady, but low discharge rate when the Hudl is on.

There are two charging statuses, "USB", and "AC" USB is the low rate and AC is the high rate as supplied by the factory charger so it might be worth checking that the correct mode has been recognised for those that are having problems. The red charging light comes on for both methods, so shouldn't be relied on.

I've found that the Hudl does not seem to comply with BC 1.1, so motherboards that are capable of supplying a higher current for fast charging won't be recognised. The Asus Sabertooth 990FX for example.

I have an OTG Y cable that has a charging port, and this isn't recognised as a valid charging method of either type, so it seems that the Hudl 2 is very particular, and tied to only certain charge methods which is a shame considering the poor battery life.

Guest Clever Trevor

I tried every charging method know to man. Several chargers and cables. PC and laptop, BlackBerry, Samsung, Nexus and Nokia. None made any difference to the Hudl 2 after it was below the charge warning notification.

Only turning it off and back on got it charging, and then with all of the chargers I tried earlier. Even my PC and laptop charged it after I turned it off and back on.

Guest Squelch

From what I've seen around the web, there might be examples that won't charge, and have been returned as faulty. It would also seem that there doesn't appear to be any quibbles when returning, so you might consider that as an option.

I know micro USB has been adopted as a standard for most manufacturers, but I don't feel it is mechanically robust enough, and many have complained that the either the "tongue" has been broken, or the connector body has broken free from the circuit board. With the Hudl 2, its position on the bottom/right does expose it to mechanical knocks, and I wouldn't be surprised to see many a Hudl with broken USB slots. The demo stands do have what looks like a very robust and low profile 90° plugs, and I've been trying to find who makes them.

I ran my battery into the ground yesterday and it is charging now, but very slowly. Looking at the graph, the discharge rate is much higher than the charge rate ever can be while it's in use. Turning it off for charging seems to speed up the process.

Guest Clever Trevor

There's nothing wrong with the USB port on either of my Hudl 2's. Leaving it plugged in and turning it then back on it starts to charge normally.

It's an internal fault probably in the software. The problem only seems apparent after it's given a low battery warning.

Trying different leads and connectors in and out the port would certainly have made a difference if it was a bad connection, but it didn't.

Guest Clever Trevor

My Hudl 2 has lived it's very short life so far, in a leather case, protected from the possibility of the charging / USB port getting knocked. The port on my Hudl 2 is slightly offset from the middle at the bottom, if held portrait; so it has little or no possibility of getting knocked.

Guest Squelch

They were general observations regarding the connector, and not aimed directly at you. I suspect there will be others that have charging issues because of broken connectors, and the thread title would probably bring them here.

When your Hudl ffails to charge, does the battery app register "charging (AC)"?

Guest Clever Trevor

Yes it does, and the red LED's on too. Even the battery indicator is showing charging. Thanks for your sugestions, I realise they're generalised and not directed to me directly, lol. If you see what I mean.

My Hudl 2 is an ex Hudl 2, if it wasn't nailed to it's perch, it would be pushing up the daisy's. .

Guest state-it

My still ongoing charging problems aren't due to dodgy cables or connectors. It's a software problem as far as I'm concerned.Getting it to replicate is the problem, but I'm buggered if I'm going to spend x hours trying to replicate it when I've other devices that work and not enough time to spend on a task such as this.

For instance, this evening it wouldn't charge when plugged in while casting Netflix, then half-an-hour later it did start charging.

All the while showing the charge icon in the battery.

I take it as a minor annoyance I can cope with, as I've had better things to do with life than sort an RMA with Tesco this last month.

When I've a spare day though I will politely but forcefully ask of Tesco my Consumer Rights. Grrrr   :angry:

Guest Pipedreambomb

So what's the verdict? Get Tesco to replace it? Don't bother?

I'm factory resetting mine as I write this, but from your comments it sounds like it won't help.

It's not that much of a hardship to turn it off while it charges - it probably does so faster as a result. Just didn't want to think I was holding on to a faulty unit when it's obviously in warranty. If there could be a software fix, I'll just wait.