hudl2 does not charge

Guest horizon21

Guest r00tmydevices

Hi Eriba.

That's useful information, thank you.

Can you please confirm if the 1m and 3m cables you've just purchased are for charging purposes only or do they work for transferring data also?

Was just about to order a PortaPow 2m charge only cable (£5) to use instead of the very short cheap cable that came supplied with the hudl 2. Although I wasn't after a car charger, the £12 pack seems good value especially if using the 1/3 off discount code plus Tesco Clubcard points doubled up with Boost! ;)

Guest r00tmydevices

1 of these ebay 200941902700 £1.49

1 of these ebay 271523165526 £2.15

1 of these ebay 140901579664 99p

should give you method of testing voltage and current on Hudl and most USB devices

I have all and are very useful on monitoring USB device power

Will take a look at those items. Thanks.

Guest seanspotatobusiness

1 of these ebay  200941902700 £1.49

1 of these ebay 271523165526  £2.15

1 of these ebay 140901579664 99p

should give you method of testing voltage and current on Hudl and most USB devices

I have all and are very useful on monitoring USB device power

Why are items 1 and 3 necessary?

Guest aerostar

You do not necessarily need 1 or 3, but I did say the set can be useful for other USB devices. They can also be useful for plugging in USB memory key/keyboards etc.

Guest r00tmydevices

You do not necessarily need 1 or 3, but I did say the set can be useful for other USB devices. They can also be useful for plugging in USB memory key/keyboards etc.

I almost posted that info myself but I thought it's better coming direct from the horse's mouth, so to speak (not calling you a horse btw!)

Edited by r00tmydevices

Had mine since 12th jan and had all the issues listed here. I did wait until the update to see if it fixed it but it has not done much. I have had enough of it now and just want a refund.

Do they offer refunds? I bought in store and paid cash. Do you still have to call support to do it?

Thanks

Simon.

Yes just phone them and they'll give you a reference number, you'll need the long number on the bottom of your receipt. I had 2 replacements and then a refund with no issues, I can't fault the customer service, only the product!

Rooymydevice your welcome.

Not tried the data transfer, but I would say yes to your question . all they do is replace the poor hudl 2 boxed cable with two quality cables.

Guest baileyhilldog

Downloaded the Hudl2 update this morning, just returned home to find despite having left this tablet on charge for 4 hours it had only reached 63% (from 54% when I left).  It appears the charging is cutting in and out as the red light keeps going off which co-incides with charging stopping. After leaving it turned off for an hour it has reached 80%, but it is still cutting in and out of charging - I am using the original mains charger supplied with the tablet - a rather flimsy 13amp plug on it! 

Think it is time to report my findings to Which, perhaps they can give it some publicity, as Tesco seem to want to minimise the issue (understandably given all their other bad press recently!).

Guest crusader58

Downloaded the Hudl2 update this morning, just returned home to find despite having left this tablet on charge for 4 hours it had only reached 63% (from 54% when I left).  It appears the charging is cutting in and out as the red light keeps going off which co-incides with charging stopping. After leaving it turned off for an hour it has reached 80%, but it is still cutting in and out of charging - I am using the original mains charger supplied with the tablet - a rather flimsy 13amp plug on it! 

Think it is time to report my findings to Which, perhaps they can give it some publicity, as Tesco seem to want to minimise the issue (understandably given all their other bad press recently!).

I have been having the same issues, but I discovered that the usb connector was very loose fitting...I change to another lead and had no issues since.

I have been having the same issues, but I discovered that the usb connector was very loose fitting...I change to another lead and had no issues since.

I get the flickering LED regardless of what USB cable I use and I don't have that problem with my phone. It's definitely a fault with the Hudl.

Guest Keeping Up

Mine worked really well after the update - until this week.

Before the update, powering off and on again would enable it charge normally for about 24 hours. After the update it would go for about a week at a time before I had to power off and on again to make it charge. The last few days however it has gone steadily from bad to worse, to the point where it will not ever charge at all unless it has been powered off first, and quite often it then gets the time wrong again.

I'm now seriously considering applying for another exchange or a refund.

Mine worked really well after the update - until this week.

Before the update, powering off and on again would enable it charge normally for about 24 hours. After the update it would go for about a week at a time before I had to power off and on again to make it charge. The last few days however it has gone steadily from bad to worse, to the point where it will not ever charge at all unless it has been powered off first, and quite often it then gets the time wrong again.

I'm now seriously considering applying for another exchange or a refund.

I can't help with the charging but regarding the time issue, have you tried editing system/etc/gps.conf per this post and the post below it: http://www.modaco.com/topic/373796-misreported-time-and-other-things/page-2#entry2249538

It was suggested by another user here that turning daydream off under settings, display solves the charging problem. There isn't any reason for it to be enabled since it only springs into action while the device is docked or being charged. Might be worth giving it a try and see if it solves your charging issue.

Guest b00ster

Oddly I've seen most problems since the update.

My First HUDL2 was returned after a few weeks with the charging problem.

The replacement, prior to the update, had worked great for a couple of months, only seeing the charging problem once.  

Since the update I have regularly seen the charging problem, wrong time and the stuck battery percentage.  Various factory resets etc. have not helped.  

Tesco tech support have collected the tablet for "repair", yet to see if I'll get it back, a replacement or a refund.

Guest r00tmydevices

Here's a screenshot taken using Simple Battery Graph app showing the incredibly fast rate at which my battery seems to be depleting with only Chrome browser and Wi-Fi running!

post-1052333-0-72883600-1424369032_thumb

Guest Clever Trevor

My Hudl 2 turned itself off today and refused to turn back on. I eventually plugged it into the charger to check if the battery was flat, but no red charging light appeared. After several plug ins and outs, the charging light came on and it allowed me to turn it on. After it booted up, it showed 67% charged!!. So it wasn't flat, just being annoying. As I checked it I noticed lots of my app icons on each page were missing, so I had to replace them.

Are Tesco's up for another update to cure more software related problems? Anyone know???

Guest r00tmydevices

My Hudl 2 turned itself off today and refused to turn back on. I eventually plugged it into the charger to check if the battery was flat, but no red charging light appeared. After several plug ins and outs, the charging light came on and it allowed me to turn it on. After it booted up, it showed 67% charged!!. So it wasn't flat, just being annoying. As I checked it I noticed lots of my app icons on each page were missing, so I had to replace them.

Are Tesco's up for another update to cure more software related problems? Anyone know???

Might be worth posting in this thread:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/374396-january-ota-feedback-for-tesco/page-4#entry2250280

Perhaps Paul can add it to his list of things to mention when next speaking to or meeting staff at Tesco HQ?

Guest r00tmydevices

Turning off Daydream has made no difference for me.

Think it's always been switched off on mine and it has made no difference, I'm still experiencing all sorts of disappointments/promblems as far as battery life goes.

Guest Jabbitt

Anyone want to try and explain this one. I recently bought a multi USB charger. If I plug the Hudl2 into a 2.1 amp port it charges as USB according to the battery screen. If I plug it into a 1 amp port it charges as AC power!

Looking at the proper Hudl2 power plug, the small print says it has a 2 amp output.

Surely the 2.1 amp port would be the better selection, so why is the Hudl2 confused?

Guest r00tmydevices

Yesterday whilst I had my h2 plugged into an Anker USB mains charger, it charged up to 100% even whilst the tablet was switched on and in use. Something up until now I thought I read was not possible due to its design?!?

Guest Thomas49

I am now getting the charge problem, remedy through re-boot. Daydream is switched off, noticed it using my multi-port USB charger rated at 2.1 amps. When it decides to misbehave I will try it on the HUDL charger to see if we get the same result.

Did not have the issue before the update :-(

Guest crusader58

I have experienced the charging issue on occasion, but noticed that the connector on the usb lead was very loose fitting at the hudl2 end, I swapped the lead with my Samsung and it fits very snuggly, haven't had charging or battery issues since.

The difference I noticed between the hudl2 connector and the Samsung was the length of the actual metal connector itself, the hudl2 connector is about 2mm longer which prevents it from fitting snuggly, whereas the Samsung fits all the way home (in).

I saw in another post that another user tried changing various leads and found it made no difference, my guess is that the leads he used probably all had the longer connector, so I suggest if you wish to try another lead, then first compare the lengths of the metal connectors.

Guest cheese_aholic

I've now given up...

I'm just turning both my HUDL off to charge (although after the kids have played on them for 2 hours they're dead anyway; unreal battery life!)

If the kids weren't so keen on them (and if other tablets had the same child restriction settings as the HUDL) they'd both be returned for a refund by now and an alternative make purchased...

Edited by cheese_aholic

Guest crusader58

I've now given up...

I'm just turning both my HUDL off to charge (although after the kids have played on them for 2 hours they're dead anyway; unreal battery life!)

If the kids weren't so keen on them (and if other tablets had the same child restriction settings as the HUDL) they'd both be returned for a refund by now and an alternative make purchased...

if the kids are gaming then battery life will deplete more rapidly on any tablet, When I intend to have a gaming session I leave my hudl2 on charge whilst doing so, if I'm just streaming movies or browsing the net then I just run on battery.

Although I did play Real Racing 3 for almost 4hrs on battery having forgotten to connect the charger.