hudl2 does not charge

Guest horizon21

Guest cheese_aholic

My son's now won't charge, this device is a joke. I've had 3 faulty ones and got a refund in the end, I shall do the same with his.

Couldnt agree more; can't be a difficult thing to fix! Hey ho - Like I said before; have to either accept that's the way it is or find a different tablet. If anyone knows of one that has the same child restriction / management ability then I'd be interested...

Guest Dogburp

Just got ours to charge without having to shutting it down.

We've been having the charge issue for a few weeks now.

With the charger plugged in I looked in Settings -> About Tablet -> Status and the Battery Status was alternating Charging / Not Charging with the red charging light flashing on and off at the same time.

I then went to Settings -> Battery and displayed the battery graph the red charge light turned solid. I switched off for half an hour and it worked!!!!! From 86% to 95% . unplugged and replugged and still charging, yeah!!!!

Edited by Dogburp

Guest cheese_aholic

With the charger plugged in I looked in Settings -> About Tablet -> Status and the Battery Status was alternating Charging / Not Charging with the red charging light flashing on and off at the same time.

I then went to Settings -> Battery and displayed the battery graph the red charge light turned solid. I switched off for half an hour and it worked!!!!! From 86% to 95% . unplugged and replugged and still charging, yeah!!!!

Makes no difference to mine. I've never had the red light flashing; it's always been solid red. It just never actually charges when it's turned on. Battery Status shows "Charging AC", battery graph shows a flat line. It's been plugged in all night and is still on 77%.

Guest Dogburp

Makes no difference to mine. I've never had the red light flashing; it's always been solid red. It just never actually charges when it's turned on. Battery Status shows "Charging AC", battery graph shows a flat line. It's been plugged in all night and is still on 77%.

Bum, I thought I'd found a solution. Our's has been fine since, touch wood!  I think our red light used to stay on, it was only while viewing through Settings -> About Tablet -> Status and the Battery Status that it started to flash.

Anyhow, sorry this didn't work for you. Good luck

Guest tolsen

I sent mine away for warranty repair. Looks like they have replaced the USB socket because there is a smoother feel to it when inserting USB plug. Have only had it for two days since the repair so too early to confirm whether it is permanently fixed.

Guest r00tmydevices

I have experienced the charging issue on occasion, but noticed that the connector on the usb lead was very loose fitting at the hudl2 end, I swapped the lead with my Samsung and it fits very snuggly, haven't had charging or battery issues since.

The difference I noticed between the hudl2 connector and the Samsung was the length of the actual metal connector itself, the hudl2 connector is about 2mm longer which prevents it from fitting snuggly, whereas the Samsung fits all the way home (in).

I saw in another post that another user tried changing various leads and found it made no difference, my guess is that the leads he used probably all had the longer connector, so I suggest if you wish to try another lead, then first compare the lengths of the metal connectors.

I purchased and have been using a PortaPow charge only cable after a few other members recommended them. The microUSB doesn't fit very tightly, in fact it wobbles loads. Also the metal part of connector doesn't slide all the way into the h2 slot, around 2mm of the metal is visible. Wonder if this has anything to do with all the battery related issues I'm having?

Any thoughts?

Guest Jabbitt

Well my third H2 has joined the rest of the gang. It was fine for around three weeks and then it started playing up. Now I just accept the fact I have to charge overnight with it powered off.

Even that isn't a fail safe as this morning I turned it on to find it at 99%. I really hope that Tescos are trying again or IF we go to Lollipop that will fix the issue.

As mentioned in another thread, it would be nice if Tescos gave us full access and allowed other devs to root around and create custom ROMs etc.

Guest Keeping Up

No it doesn't work for me. The light doesn't flash, just stays on and says it's charging on ac but doesn't put any charge into the battery.

Guest r00tmydevices

I sent mine away for warranty repair. Looks like they have replaced the USB socket because there is a smoother feel to it when inserting USB plug. Have only had it for two days since the repair so too early to confirm whether it is permanently fixed.

How old was your unit and did Tesco insist you sent it in for repair as opposed to having it exchanged for a new one?

Thanks.

Guest Dogburp

No it doesn't work for me. The light doesn't flash, just stays on and says it's charging on ac but doesn't put any charge into the battery.

Bum!

Guest tolsen

How old was your unit and did Tesco insist you sent it in for repair as opposed to having it exchanged for a new one?

Thanks.

Bought in November 2014. The repair did not last for long. Charging problem reappeared last night.

Guest davidrsim

I rooted my Hudl 2 a few weeks ago having experienced the charging issue, even after the update.

I've not had a repeat of the problem since which suggests - for me at least - there's a fundamental software problem rather than hardware.

I did install a battery management app and now easily get all day use of the device which I didn't get before. 

Guest r00tmydevices

I did install a battery management app and now easily get all day use of the device which I didn't get before.

Which app was that and do you think the app helped in anyway towards providing a longer battery life? Thanks.

Guest davidrsim

Which app was that and do you think the app helped in anyway towards providing a longer battery life? Thanks.

I'm currently using iBattery - I do think it makes a huge difference. I have it set to disconnect WiFi / Bluetooth and running tasks 1 minute after sleep. It reconnects to WiFi when the screen is unlocked and periodically reconnects every 2 hours to allow updates to be picked up. 

I was using Deep Sleep Battery Saver but occasionally the WiFi didn't come back on after wake. 

I also used Wakelock Detector and found a weather app I never used was waking the device every few minutes, so I deleted it. 

Guest crusader58

I purchased and have been using a PortaPow charge only cable after a few other members recommended them. The microUSB doesn't fit very tightly, in fact it wobbles loads. Also the metal part of connector doesn't slide all the way into the h2 slot, around 2mm of the metal is visible. Wonder if this has anything to do with all the battery related issues I'm having?

Any thoughts?

I addressed this issue in another post as I found that the original Tesco micro usb lead was very loose fitting due to length of metal connector, I changed the lead for a Samsung lead which having a smaller connector fits very tightly, since doing this I have had no charging issues whatsoever. So in answer to your question, yes the connector has everything to do with it.

Guest r00tmydevices

I addressed this issue in another post as I found that the original Tesco micro usb lead was very loose fitting due to length of metal connector, I changed the lead for a Samsung lead which having a smaller connector fits very tightly, since doing this I have had no charging issues whatsoever. So in answer to your question, yes the connector has everything to do with it.

Would you happen to know exactly which Samsung cable it is or what device it's for? They usually don't cost much. Don't mind buying a different cable for charging if it sorts out my battery issues. Shame that the PortaPow cable which was bought for this very purpose has not improved anything in that regard!

Guest crusader58

Would you happen to know exactly which Samsung cable it is or what device it's for? They usually don't cost much. Don't mind buying a different cable for charging if it sorts out my battery issues. Shame that the PortaPow cable which was bought for this very purpose has not improved anything in that regard!

I have three Samsung cables from various Samsung devices and all three have the same short connectors

Guest cheese_aholic

The make of cable makes no difference, they're all the same whether they fit flush or not. If the red light is on, then the cable is working. The problem is within the HUDL itself. If it were an issue with the cable then resetting the device would make no difference to whether it charges or not. While changing the cable may rectify the problem for a small minority, I'd hazard it's more coincidence than anything else. My money is still on a software issue affecting some HUDL devices... Just my opinion of course...!

Guest r00tmydevices

Yesterday as I was running down the battery on my h2, I got an alert message and tone when it dropped below 20% I think it was. Popup window gave an option of looking at battery screen within settings. So I tapped that and then it displayed how much use I had used it for on its current charge. To my surprise it stated 4 hrs 51 mins. That seems a fair bit longer than what I expected. Also I noticed that it took quite a while to drain down to 1% before switching off. It's almost as though either the last part of the battery's charge drains far slower than it does at the upper percentage mark, let's say from 100% or it's the battery percentage which is way out of kilter? Plugged device into the mains using stock Tesco charger and cable for over 12 hours. Will run it down twice more and then charge to see if there's any improvement. It could well be a software issue that needs resetting internally to clear any info in the internal memory? Still expect longer than around five hours of extremely light use from this device, especially as other members have mentioned getting as much as 10 hours out of theirs plus most don't seem to see a huge drain if their unit is left in standby like I have with mine.

Guest pudpoh

The charging issue almost certainly is software related as a reboot cures it and starts the device charging. It also charges no problems at all when it is powered off.

Sounds to me like your battery stats are seriously messed up. In order to rectify this you need to run it completely flat until it powers itself off, ignore what the battery meter is telling you, it is lying. When it powers off then charge it, but charge it while it is powered off. Do not start it back up again until it is fully charged. This should reset the battery stats on it, you may have to do this a few times for it to sort itself out. This is also the reason why they tell you to charge the device fully before first use. Most people just ignore this but it can mess your battery stats up if you don't do it.

Guest crusader58

The make of cable makes no difference, they're all the same whether they fit flush or not. If the red light is on, then the cable is working. The problem is within the HUDL itself. If it were an issue with the cable then resetting the device would make no difference to whether it charges or not. While changing the cable may rectify the problem for a small minority, I'd hazard it's more coincidence than anything else. My money is still on a software issue affecting some HUDL devices... Just my opinion of course...!

It can't be coincidence as when I swap back to the stock Tesco cable the charging and battery issues return, it may well be a software issue to a degree, but the smaller (better fitting) connector certainly overcomes the issue on my device.

Guest r00tmydevices

Someone suggested an app called Battery Callibrate (available from Google Play store) that might help to reset the stats within Android for issues similar to these regarding battery performance,

Guest Jabbitt

Apparently wiping battery stats is a placebo.

http://www.xda-developers.com/google-engineer-debunks-myth-wiping-battery-stats-does-not-improve-battery-life/ '> http://www.xda-developers.com/google-engineer-debunks-myth-wiping-battery-stats-does-not-improve-battery-life/

My H2 is now copying my last one. It charged whilst on and stopped at 99%. An unplug and plug back in topped it up to 100%.

Guest cheese_aholic

It can't be coincidence as when I swap back to the stock Tesco cable the charging and battery issues return, it may well be a software issue to a degree, but the smaller (better fitting) connector certainly overcomes the issue on my device.

Interesting... So does your device charge up at all with the standard tesco lead?