hudl2 does not charge

Guest horizon21

Guest Thomas49

Sorry folks but I have had a charging problem with a non Hudl charger since the upgrade. Fixed by a soft reset. It may be an isolated incident though! The charge light would flash on for a second or two then stay off and the unit would not charge. If switched off it appeared to charge correctly i.e. charge light on. After soft reset (press and hold power key), we are back to normal. I will report if it happens again.

Guest arnookie

For the Hudl 2 to charge properly!

You need charger rated at 2amp. Many phone chargers are 500ma or 1amp. these are not powerful enough for the hudl 2.

It must be a single socket usb charger. If it has more than one output then it most likely shares 1amp through each port not enough for the hudl 2 because it needs 2amp to charge at full speed!

You also need a usb cable that supports 2000ma supply current.

Pound shop usb cables are all 500ma or 1000ma. These are not powerful enough for the hudl 2.

So if you are using a pound shop or cheap cable you will have charge problems!

You need a 2 amp rated cable or 2000ma plus a 2amp charger. 

Edited by arnookie

Guest Jabbitt

For the Hudl 2 to charge properly!

You need charger rated at 2amp. Many phone chargers are 500ma or 1amp. these are not powerful enough for the hudl 2.

It must be a single socket usb charger. If it has more than one output then it most likely shares 1amp through each port not enough for the hudl 2 because it needs 2amp to charge at full speed!

You also need a usb cable that supports 2000ma supply current.

Pound shop usb cables are all 500ma or 1000ma. These are not powerful enough for the hudl 2.

So if you are using a pound shop or cheap cable you will have charge problems!

You need a 2 amp rated cable or 2000ma plus a 2amp charger.

I'm not disagreeing with you but here's the strange thing. I have an Avantek four port USB charger. It has 2x2.1 amp and 2x1 amp USB ports.

I'm still using the official cable and if I plug it into the 2.1 amp ports, the Hudl2 will report it's on USB charging. When I use the 1 amp ports, it reports that it's on AC power and charge faster!

Guest arnookie

That was the point I was trying to make. Most multi port chargers split the charge. hence the slow charging.

You often find the 2amp ports feed only 500ma. most often they supply 1amp through the 1 amp ports. but only 500ma on the 2amp. I don't know why apart from multi port charges are often rated Higher than they actually are and even if rated at 2amp they share it between all the ports.

Also the more devices you plug in the less milliamp will be drawn by the device because the amps are shared.

I find most multi port charges when tested with a meter give the best milliamp through the port marked 1amp.

If you look closely at the amp on the chargers label and it says ie 2amp or 2.5amp, That is its maximum power. So even if it has several ports stated to be 2.0 amp you will only get that if only one device is plugged in.

Guest r00tmydevices

My understanding is that an Anker IQ 40w 5-port USB mains charger supplies the maximum current that any device plugged into it can accept therefore offering the fastest and safest charge possible. Each port can output up to 2.4 amps. The maximum is 8 amps overall at one time.

This might differ somewhat from the USB mains charger mentioned in above posts?

Guest arnookie

If you still have charge issues after latest update then you have a hardware problem. Make sure you did a full recovery wipe if problem remains return your hudl 2 to Tesco for repair.  This latest update fixes the software charge issue hardware faults need repair service.

• 1 month later...
Guest cheese_aholic

Or....

...people are so pissed off with this issue, and the lack of anything being done about it, that they've either accepted it and kept their HUDL or got rid and swapped it for an alternative tablet.

Personally I'm in the former camp (at the moment)...

Guest brackehill_mob

I've just had this problem after 9 months of ownership. My battery stats file was corrupt so I deleted it using an app from the Play Store and then let my phone charge fully, deleted the battery stats again and rebooted. All good now. I'm rooted so I don't know if this is possible to do for non-rooted devices.

Guest Jabbitt

The battery starts file is a myth that was debunked by Google themselves. It's simply a file that stores figures for the battery screen showing how much each app has used.

My Hudl2 still has a few niggles. Sometimes it only charges to 99% but if you unplug and then replug it in it charges to 100% in less than a minute.

This is a lot rarer than it used to be and happens whether the device is on or off. Also sometimes I plug the cable in and according to the Hudl2 it's charging on USB. I reinsert the cable and it then changes to AC power.

Apart from that it's fine!

Guest brackehill_mob

Thanks for the heads up.

My problem was the incorrect reporting of what was left in the battery. It never changed regardless of use or charge. So what you tell me ironically confirms that I took the right course of action ;)

• 1 month later...
Guest tolsen

My Hudl received two updates today.  Now on android 5.1.

Keep getting an annoying unknown google play services error.  Anyone else experiencing same issue?

Guest cheese_aholic

My Hudl received two updates today.  Now on android 5.1.

Keep getting an annoying unknown google play services error.  Anyone else experiencing same issue?

Yup; me too!

I uninstalled (disabled) Google Play Services then updated it again and it seems to have cured the problem on both my devices.

What is most annoying is that lots of my kids games don't seem to work after the update. Just a black screen...

Only fix seems to be to uninstall the games and reinstall - great but all game progress is lost!

How hard can it be to update an operating system while keeping all installed apps working?

Guest cheese_aholic

Interesting reading feedback on Google play services.  Lots of hudl2 owners moaning.

Thats probably because it throws up errors, doesn't work properly and requires many apps to be reinstalled,  thus losing all saved data and progress...

Just a thought...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest valve90210

Sorry for the thread necro but my little boy's Hudl 2 has experienced a charging problem over the weekend which I think might be the same as others in this thread have experience but I wasn't 100% sure.

Basically his Hudl is not recognising that the charger is plugged in. It keeps naging for it to be plugged in but when I plug it in it's not showing it as charging.

I've rebooted it a number of times and left it off and charging overnight. It is clearly charging a bit (albeit extremely slowly) as last night it was at 15% and this morning it was at 27%. (having been on charge for about 8 hours with the hudl switched off)

I tried wiping the cache partition this morning but it hung while doing so and had to be powered down. So today it's just going to be sitting and charging while powered off all day.

It is still on kitkat as I've not updated it. If I can get it to a decent level of charge I will do the update but at present I'm not sure if it's ever going to get to a decent level of charge...

Anyone got any thoughts on my best course of action?

• 1 month later...
Guest roar349

My Hudl 2 seems to have died :(

Rebooted on Monday and just past the Hudl screen I got a lot of little white lines on a black background. Since then I've been unable to turn it on, plugging in to the official charger sometimes shows the red led, sometimes not (but never turns green).

I've tried the Volume and power button but not getting any joy, any other ideas before I ring Tesco? It's well within warranty anyway.

• 1 month later...
Guest pro4tlzz
On 07/08/2015 at 8:17 PM, Thomas49 said:

Sorry folks but I have had a charging problem with a non Hudl charger since the upgrade. Fixed by a soft reset. It may be an isolated incident though! The charge light would flash on for a second or two then stay off and the unit would not charge. If switched off it appeared to charge correctly i.e. charge light on. After soft reset (press and hold power key), we are back to normal. I will report if it happens again.

I have the same problem. I have restarted but it is not fixed. I am using the same charger for months now. Was fine beforr