Hudl 2 In-store demo...

Guest xLuciferSx

Guest xLuciferSx

Strange it should still have this on there.

I would put it back in the box, if you have it, and take it back to the store  ;)

I buy second hand.......... 

I will try reinstall firmware, but first i need find firmware and adb drivers

Edited by xLuciferSx

I buy second hand.......... 

No issues with that, but it would be interesting to hear what you were told by the 'previous' owner?

Try booting the unit into 'Safe Mode' this will disable anything from loading at startup, hopefully enabling you to delete/disable the 'In-Store' demo app.

:ninja:

Guest xLuciferSx

No issues with that, but it would be interesting to hear what you were told by the 'previous' owner?

Try booting the unit into 'Safe Mode' this will disable anything from loading at startup, hopefully enabling you to delete/disable the 'In-Store' demo app.

Tesco Customer support tell me, it's not possible to delete this, and i ask firmware, they tell me, we can't give you firmware...

Looks like you've bought s stolen unit XLuciferSx....

The In store demo units are just that - for in store usage. They have a different firmware, with different keys, and AFAIK you can't flash directly from one to the other.

Normally they are locked down, but pull hard enough and they'll come away - kinda useless as anything else though, so not worth the hassle!

I'd get your money back and report the person you bought it from to the Police...

Yes I would have thought the 'previous owner' isn't anything of the sort - due to the unit's syetem condition.

As for if it's possible to correct such a situation, maybe / maybe not - if Tesco have built/flashed 'In-Store' only units, they could well have, that definitively would be going the extra mile though .........

Ping @tesco and let them know. Maybe they can help! They're usually quote good, and I'm sure they'd love to have it back with some info on where you got it from! ;)

If not, DM me :)

The right thing would be to contact Tesco as QLF has said  ;) you could well end up with a very cheap pukka hudl2 for your trouble.

The engineer in me would find it hard not to be imaging / flashing it to death and using it as test material  :ninja: but then again, we already have fully working hudl2's so it clouds my moral judgement, It's sometimes hard not to listen to those naughty voices .....  :blush:

Guest xLuciferSx

The right thing would be to contact Tesco as QLF has said  ;) you could well end up with a very cheap pukka hudl2 for your trouble.

The engineer in me would find it hard not to be imaging / flashing it to death and using it as test material  :ninja: but then again, we already have fully working hudl2's so it clouds my moral judgement, It's sometimes hard not to listen to those naughty voices .....  :blush:

Do you have ADB Fastboot drivers?

Suitable ADB drivers etc can be found either on the net or from links supplied by others in this forum. 

(As this device is of dubious origins this is as far as I will go on this subject, sorry.)

Edited by Guest

Guest xLuciferSx

Suitable ADB drivers etc can be found either on the net or from links supplied by others in this forum. 

(As this device is of dubious origins this is as far as I will go on this subject, sorry.)

I try root.. But i think it's not possible...

Guest I am eusty

(As this device is of dubious origins this is as far as I will go on this subject, sorry.):

Agreed, a bit like "my cheap BMW doesn't start, the ignition wiring is all pulled out and the steering lock is broken....."

Guys, I can promise that you won't be able to get rid of demo mode. Its a completely separate ROM, and signed with different keys to the standard customer ROM.

Send it back Lucifer. Hopefully you can get your money back!

I'm sure "demo mode" is activated and deactivated from the engineering menu (hidden menu) at least its been like that on other devices i have seen

but that was on android based smartphones, to which you got into it via a number / symbol combination from the dialler.. not to sure how you would enter it on a tablet :huh:  

Done a quick Google about entering engineering mode on the hudl and found this http://www.modaco.com/topic/366862-hudl-test-mode-found/ might help

if there is no option to turn it off,  look for a factory reset option like mentioned in the link above, that might do it...

Doesn't work. Demo is a different build / ROM.

I wouldn't of though so, going off all the stock based development I have done over the years on various devices the "demo mode" has always just been a hidden part of the ROM, plus the screenshot he posted in safe mode does not suggest its a different build.

Demo ROM makes no sense to me as every demo mode i have seen to this day has just normally been an app bundled in the factory ROM (ZTE / Huawei / Motorola) 

Are you just assuming its a Demo ROM ? or has Tesco confirmed this ?

if he can get into the settings menu in safe mode I would try disabling some Tesco apps or anything referring to demo mode

or factory rest it from > settings / backup & reset.

Edit:

Here is an example of what I'm talking about http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2419272 Post #7

could also be what's mentioned in post #14, i will have a hudl 2 in few days so will know for sure then

I think the point here is more should this discussion continue on a 'technical' basis as the original poster could not have obtained the hudl2 via a reputable source - otherwise if they had, they would have just returned it and got a working one.

I'm happy to help anyone, but on some occasions you need to make a judement call. :ninja:

Guest xLuciferSx

I wouldn't of though so, going off all the stock based development I have done over the years on various devices the "demo mode" has always just been a hidden part of the ROM, plus the screenshot he posted in safe mode does not suggest its a different build.

Demo ROM makes no sense to me as every demo mode i have seen to this day has just normally been an app bundled in the factory ROM (ZTE / Huawei / Motorola)

Are you just assuming its a Demo ROM ? or has Tesco confirmed this ?

if he can get into the settings menu in safe mode I would try disabling some Tesco apps or anything referring to demo mode

or factory rest it from > settings / backup & reset.

Edit:

Here is an example of what I'm talking about http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2419272 Post #7

could also be what's mentioned in post #14, i will have a hudl 2 in few days so will know for sure then

I can't disable tesco apps...

Of course you cant....

After each time the device reboots, it wipes anything you do, and flashes it back to 'out the box' although in this case it's back to VIrgin Demo mode...

Guessing this is to avoid privacy / bad content concerns on a device designed to be tethered to their store displays.

Give it up dude...