Huawei Y550 out in uk, 4G LTE, 64bit Snapdragon 410, £44.99 on PAYG

Guest mshaw213

Can you send me the website? Its been over a week and I still have no responde from them... I'm glad its not my device [emoji14]

It might depend on exactly what information you included in the email to them. I sent 2 emails, but forgot to include details of the phone model. I then sent a third email but included the model (Y550-L01) and I had a reply in about 10 mins.

My phone is now rooted with Link2sd installed and I love it. It's a powerhouse for a phone which cost me £30 as a PAYG upgrade from Carphone Warehouse. Definitely a world of difference from the y300 it has replaced.

Edited by mshaw213

Guest patrik.KT

It might depend on exactly what information you included in the email to them. I sent 2 emails, but forgot to include details of the phone model. I then sent a third email but included the model (Y550-L01) and I had a reply in about 10 mins.

My phone is now rooted with Link2sd installed and I love it. It's a powerhouse for a phone which cost me £30 as a PAYG upgrade from Carphone Warehouse. Definitely a world of difference from the y300 it has replaced.

My mail looked like this:

Mobile Model: Y550-L01

MEID/IMEI: ...

S/N: ...

Product ID: ...

Is there anything else i should include?

Guest fonz93

Having my current Moto G is pretty much as boring as having a Nexus...

I'm interested in getting something with a next generation Snapdragon (410/615/810). This is the biggest update in a while as we're now moving to 64-bit ARMv8 Cortex-A53/A57 architecture.

Xiaomi RedMi1s got the kernel source just yesterday, it hasn't a new soc, but it can be a good "toy".

Guest mac_d4di

Oh god, thank you so much. I'll make a TWRP tonight. Does anyone want me to share it? :P

count me in I have the chinese one. lets keep this thread alive as theres not much info about this handset

im also trying to use xposed framework but no modules seem to work

Oh god, thank you so much. I'll make a TWRP tonight. Does anyone want me to share it? :P

An english TWRP for the Y550 instead of a foreign language CWM made for the G620S would be fantastic :)

Guest jonmac73

Urgent Advice please ........... returning G510 due to same recuring fault (SIM card loose over time & no signal)

Y550 for £55, or G620 / Moto G 4G for £115, or Experia E3 for £90

Y550 would be OK I think but still concerned over 4Gb ROM limitation on apps. Had to be prudent with apps on G510 to keep 100Mb + free. Is Y550 any better ?

Thanks in advance

Guest patrik.KT

Urgent Advice please ........... returning G510 due to same recuring fault (SIM card loose over time & no signal)

Y550 for £55, or G620 / Moto G 4G for £115, or Experia E3 for £90

Y550 would be OK I think but still concerned over 4Gb ROM limitation on apps. Had to be prudent with apps on G510 to keep 100Mb + free. Is Y550 any better ?

Thanks in advance

On Y550 it's just approx. 1.5GB free, the rest is reserved for system. And it's kinda the same about the 100+MB. BUT, if you root it, you can install an app (link2sd, etc.) to use your external sd as internal storage for apps.

I looked at the Y550 in my local carphone warehouse yesterday it was £89.95 with £10 top up.

I'm looking to replace my Ascend Y330 that I've had since September.

I thought Y330 could be modded just like my Y300 that the Y330 replaced.

I had TWRP and kitkat 4.4.4 slimkat on my Y300 but it fell out of my pocket and got squashed by a 7 tonne tractor!

There is no development or ROMs/recovery for Y330 due to the mediatek processor as far as I know.

I hate the EMUI with a passion and don't use it.

I prefer a nova/lollipop theme set up on my Y330.

Any ideas as to what to do?

Edited by Ivan42

Guest luca020400

I looked at the Y550 in my local carphone warehouse yesterday it was £89.95 with £10 top up.

I had TWRP and kitkat 4.4.4 slimkat on my Y300 but it fell out of my pocket and got squashed by a 7 tonne tractor!

There is no development or ROMs/recovery for Y330 due to the mediatek processor as far as I know.

Buy redmi 2s :D

We are just waiting on the source code for the Y550, after that we can have a TWRP and CWM for it and then someone can make a cyanogenmod rom for it and we will be rid of EMUI :)

• 2 weeks later...

Good news guys I´m currently working on a CWM for the Y550 using the Stock Kernel!

This CWM will be made from source using actual Slimkat KK sources.

I´ll make a thread in XDA after completion and I´ll share its link in here. I hope to get an Y550 section soon.

Guest patrik.KT

Good news guys I´m currently working on a CWM for the Y550 using the Stock Kernel!

This CWM will be made from source using actual Slimkat KK sources.

I´ll make a thread in XDA after completion and I´ll share its link in here. I hope to get an Y550 section soon.

The stock kernel has last_kmsg disabled (at least not on mine). Thats why Im waiting for huawei to release the kernel sources, so that i can enable last_kmsg...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest patrik.KT

So as I promised, here is a TWRP build for Y550. It should work just fine, I had no bugs so far, but make sure you only boot it and then flash...

To boot it, reboot to fastboot mode (Vol down + Power button) and use this command:

fastboot boot TWRP_y550_20150130.img

Chech the console by tapping the middle onscreen button and if there are no red lines, flash it with this:

fastboot flash recovery TWRP_y550_20150130.img

If you find a bug or have a question, just post it in this thread and either quote this port or mention me :)

DOWNLOAD: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5KRmU8P96dlYTc4eS11QXItdlU/edit

Proof: http://i.imgur.com/vOySSLL.jpg

Guest sparkrite

So as I promised, here is a TWRP build for Y550. It should work just fine, I had no bugs so far, but make sure you only boot it and then flash...

To boot it, reboot to fastboot mode (Vol down + Power button) and use this command:

fastboot boot TWRP_y550_20150130.img

Chech the console by tapping the middle onscreen button and if there are no red lines, flash it with this:

fastboot flash recovery TWRP_y550_20150130.img

If you find a bug or have a question, just post it in this thread and either quote this port or mention me :)

DOWNLOAD: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5KRmU8P96dlYTc4eS11QXItdlU/edit

Proof: http://i.imgur.com/vOySSLL.jpg

So far so good, thanks a lot, good work.

Ps: Just did a backup/wipe/restore. Worked flawlessly. :-)

Edited by sparkrite

Guest patrik.KT

AWESOME! Lets hope Huawei release the source code soon and we can finally have a Cyanogenmod rom made.

I think we could actually get CM11 to work with a prebuilt kernel, since it is kitkat. But we will need the sources for lollipop. I will try to build one today and report how it went.

I think we could actually get CM11 to work with a prebuilt kernel, since it is kitkat. But we will need the sources for lollipop. I will try to build one today and report how it went.

Wow, that would be amazing! I'd be happy with CM11 for the life of the phone as android 4.4.4 is excellent, good enough to last several years especially as it has google play services.