Huawei Y550 out in uk, 4G LTE, 64bit Snapdragon 410, £44.99 on PAYG

Huawei CPU+Modding and Roms= not good :(

You are right. :(

Only curiosity, because the phone seems really great, I like also the aesthetic, but I think that it's no a good idea buy again a huawei phone. Nexus and xiaomi are better.

Edited by davef7

Guest mshaw213

@hajj_3 How do you find the pixel density on the Y550? That seems to be one area that gets mentioned in reviews. I know the resolution is the same as the Y300 but the screen is slightly bigger. I nearly bought on of the Y550s today, but stopped as I haven't seen the screen.

I know there are better screens out there, but all I'm really interested in is how the Y550 compares to the Y300.

Edited by mshaw213

@hajj_3 How do you find the pixel density on the Y550? That seems to be one area that gets mentioned in reviews. I know the resolution is the same as the Y300 but the screen is slightly bigger. I nearly bought on of the Y550s today, but stopped as I haven't seen the screen.

I know there are better screens out there, but all I'm really interested in is how the Y550 compares to the Y300.

I am pretty sure that this Y550 has the same display as G510

218ppi, this is on the specs list on the gsmarena link in my 1st post. The screen looks nice, i'm very happy with it :)

Guest mshaw213

218ppi, this is on the specs list on the gsmarena link in my 1st post. The screen looks nice, i'm very happy with it :)

I knew the specs, but all of the reviews I have seen seem to make out that the screen is particularly poor, mainly due to the pixel density. In my head there can't be a massive difference between 218 and 233 PPI, but I wanted to check how it looked to someone that has the phone.

I think I will have to get one whilst they are £30.

Thanks for the reply!

Edited by mshaw213

custom recovery and root working see this page: http://forum.frandroid.com/topic/205866-huawei-g620-s/page-2

and this forum: http://www.htcmania.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1651

files are all for the huawei g620s but works perfectly for y550. maybe now we can start getting custom roms. anyone notice this phone has same internals as htc desire 510 

yes i have a rooted y550 now. i unlocked bootloader a while ago by sending email to huawei. i didnt have to flash custom recovery- just did fastboot boot customrecovery.img and then flashed supersu

Edited by svesh

Guest mshaw213

yes i have a rooted y550 now. i unlocked bootloader a while ago by sending email to huawei. i didnt have to flash custom recovery- just did fastboot boot customrecovery.img and then flashed supersu

Nice one, thanks for posting the links. I've bought myself the Y550 as a Christmas present, but need root so I can transfer my game data across.

files are all for the huawei g620s but works perfectly for y550. maybe now we can start getting custom roms.

Recovery may boot and appear work, but you shouldn't actually use it. If the partition layout is even a little different then you could brick your phone if you do a backup and then a wipe.

You probably won't get any custom ROM's e.g. CM11 until Huawei releases the kernel source. Until then you might just get repacks of the stock ROM and they won't look a whole lot different.

Edited by H3ROS

svesh

Which recovery you use for Huawei y550. I use "CWM v6.0.5.1 - G620S". it installed but does not let me use the recovery. I can see the recovery menu but when try to go in recovery my phone restarts when I release the power and volume up button. If you use different recovery then please give me a link for that. Thanks

Edited by funsuk

• 3 weeks later...

Could someone get me a stock boot.img and recovery.img? I want to start making TWRP till they send me the unlock code.. I don't really like CWM :P

make sure you sent your bootloader code request to: [email protected]

I sent mine to a different email address and got no response. The above address sent me my bootloader code just 4 hours later.

Guest patrik.KT

make sure you sent your bootloader code request to: [email protected]

I sent mine to a different email address and got no response. The above address sent me my bootloader code just 4 hours later.

I found this address somewhere on xda, so I sent a request on both. Unfortunately, it's been 2 days and I didn't get any response. :/

We should also request the kernel source, because then I/we might begin porting CAF (because it would be kinda difficult using stock, they have modified the stock HALs), to get a nice CM11/12 ROM (and many others)...

Guest mega-samu

This I answer myself huawei on the kernel source (G620s).

Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting Huawei device.
The open source is under our technical department to make.
Since the procedure is a little more complex, so please kindly be a little patient.

Please keep cheking the weblink below for more update:
http://emui.huawei.com/
Once again thank you for contacting Huawei device.
Best Regards.

Stock recovery.img and boot.img of G620s  https://mega.co.nz/#!3tYGwSqS!7KGQIMpTkw3yP2gGIkw8JkAp1p3EI1GzvH4-zw3oDLU

Patrik. KT that device has? :blush:

Edited by mega-samu

Guest patrik.KT

This I answer myself huawei on the kernel source (G620s).

Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting Huawei device.
The open source is under our technical department to make.
Since the procedure is a little more complex, so please kindly be a little patient.

Please keep cheking the weblink below for more update:
http://emui.huawei.com/
Once again thank you for contacting Huawei device.
Best Regards.

Stock recovery.img and boot.img of G620s  https://mega.co.nz/#!3tYGwSqS!7KGQIMpTkw3yP2gGIkw8JkAp1p3EI1GzvH4-zw3oDLU

Patrik. KT that device has? :blush:

I have the device. Well... at least my brother has :P

Anyway, thanks for the .imgs, but unfortunately I can't use them, they are from a different phone. I know that they are similiar, but the kernel itself is different, and I need to pull out some stuff out of it (what is the exact SoC and platform, what chips are used etc.). It will be somehow helpfull till they release the source.

Guest mac_d4di

+1 for y550 section mods I have rooted mine and found a way to get unlocker code directly from there website if anyone is interested as I have still had no email so did it myself :)

Got mine for £34.99 but had to top up £20 but amazing deal

Edited by mac_d4di

Guest KonstaT
This seems to be available at a quite competetive price (99€ unlocked) here in Finland. And it's that time of the year I'm itching for a new toy. :P Anything with a Snapragon 410 (msm8916) or Snapdragon 615 (msm8939) would do, but not many of those available around here.

Damn, only if Huawei had released the kernel source, I'd go and buy one...

Guest luca020400

This seems to be available at a quite competetive price (99€ unlocked) here in Finland. And it's that time of the year I'm itching for a new toy. [emoji14] Anything with a Snapragon 410 (msm8916) or Snapdragon 615 (msm8939) would do, but not many of those available around here.

Damn, only if Huawei had released the kernel source, I'd go and buy one...

The god KonstaT here ?

Anyway huawei take ages for release kernel source ( if the release it ) so probably you have to buy another phone ;)

Probably buy the new moto g 2014 LTE is the best choice ( Snap 410 and more battery than the normal one . And LTE of course )

Edited by luca020400

Guest KonstaT

The god KonstaT here ?

Anyway huawei take ages for release kernel source ( if the release it ) so probably you have to buy another phone ;)

Probably buy the new moto g 2014 LTE is the best choice ( Snap 410 and more battery than the normal one . And LTE of course )

Lol, wat?! :D

AFAIK Moto G 2014 LTE hasn't been officially released yet and last I heard rumored it still had the same Snapdragon 400 (msm8x26) as the previous models (would make sense). I already have one of those and the new Moto G 2014 LTE is going to cost at least twice as much as this Y550 either way. I won't argue that the Moto wasn't a better phone (or even a better phone for the price) but it's not all that matters from my perspective (I'm looking for a dev toy). ;) Having my current Moto G is pretty much as boring as having a Nexus...

I'm interested in getting something with a next generation Snapdragon (410/615/810). This is the biggest update in a while as we're now moving to 64-bit ARMv8 Cortex-A53/A57 architecture.

Guest luca020400

Lol, wat?! :D

AFAIK Moto G 2014 LTE hasn't been officially released yet and last I heard rumored it still had the same Snapdragon 400 (msm8x26) as the previous models (would make sense). I already have one of those and the new Moto G 2014 LTE is going to cost at least twice as much as this Y550 either way. I won't argue that the Moto wasn't a better phone (or even a better phone for the price) but it's not all that matters from my perspective (I'm looking for a dev toy). ;) Having my current Moto G is pretty much as boring as having a Nexus...

I'm interested in getting something with a next generation Snapdragon (410/615/810). This is the biggest update in a while as we're now moving to 64-bit ARMv8 Cortex-A53/A57 architecture.

Yep sorry it have snap 400

Look at this ;)

https://github.com/MotorolaMobilityLLC/kernel-msm/commit/4b8f5d1b63f567ecb31e673b5e51f1cd7ce93fab

The moto g 2014 LTE version is official ( at least in Motorola source )

Thea is the codename

Edited by luca020400

Guest patrik.KT

+1 for y550 section mods I have rooted mine and found a way to get unlocker code directly from there website if anyone is interested as I have still had no email so did it myself :)

Got mine for £34.99 but had to top up £20 but amazing deal

Can you send me the website? Its been over a week and I still have no responde from them... I'm glad its not my device :P