Got my Hudl 2 Update

Guest deadphill

Guest deadphill
Looks like Paul was right!

post-44098-0-61804600-1421676199_thumb.p

If it does what it says and sorts out the storage issue I won't have a need for lollipop and to return it if it actually charges whilst on... which just before downloading the update actually appears to have started working again!

Good luck to the rest of you. One thing I found is that when I pushed to check for an update, it kept defaulting to October last year as the date I last checked for updates... even though I have been pressing the button all morning! One last thing, this did not find an update until I was over 50% battery so might be worthwhile keeping an eye out on that one.

Cheers
Phill

Guest deadphill

Hi

No not at all. I dont want to go down that route unless i absolutely had to with the storage issue. Nothing I can think of that I want to do except running a VNC server perhaps requires root.

I assume if you have root access, you probably need to return to non root access to apply the update, if I have properly understood what I have read recently.

Cheers

Phill

Guest Jabbitt

All my small apps will happily move onto the SD card but my big games won't. A bit disappointing. It's a shame we probably won't get just one more update to 4.4.4.

Guest Mark_He

Cheeky buggers! You can already use the Chromecast before this update! Are they trying to get credit for something that already works?

If you uninstall the chromecast app, you can still cast your whole screen from the drop down menu; I believe you used to need the app installed.

Guest Jabbitt

If you uninstall the chromecast app, you can still cast your whole screen from the drop down menu; I believe you used to need the app installed.

OIC. That makes more sense.

Guest GOMDroid

Hi folks,

Noticed there was an update last night (2015-01-19), so went for it.

Must be a clogged pipe somewhere on the internet as I discovered it was dated 6th Jan once installed. Would have been more sensible for them to post me an SD card with it on, then I could have, oh, no wait, that's a lot of the problem for many isn't it! LOL

Anyway, it went fine and I can move apps to SD now. My battery never had any issues with charging from the start. Don't have a TV so can't test that stuff.

Have 3 droids, and one is rooted, not looking to root this one at present, was put off by all the (google) rigmarole of doing it last time. Was pretty flaky, so not keen to go there again, the root was 100% solid, but the developer stuff was fully dreadful.

Not a bad tablet, nothing really special, but not too bad for the price I guess.

Thought I better sign up here so I could confirm there truly was an update. Seems that is helping (just a little bit) all the hard work that has been done on trying to root this one from what i have read here so far.

Guest aerostar

Has anyone found problem with the Dolphin Browser since the update ?

The dolphin browser, latest  Dec 14 version worked "almost" ok, but did not show animated GIFS if you used the Jetpack, switch that off and it worked.

With this new Tesco update, I cannot get any pages to display using the Jetpack, turn that off and the pages load fine and display, I had this when I first got the H2 back in October and the Dec version solved that problem until this Tesco update..

I have uninstalled and re-installed with no difference.

Can any one confirm the same ?.

Guest targetbsp

All my small apps will happily move onto the SD card but my big games won't. A bit disappointing. It's a shame we probably won't get just one more update to 4.4.4.

I'm guessing it allows APK's to be moved but not obb files? I'm still gonna need to root the thing then if that's the case. :(

Guest Pipedreambomb

I didn't realise the Hudl did full screen casting before. I thought it was just supported apps?

Either way, I was briefly excited by the news that it now definitely does support it, but it's very stuttery on the only app I care about casting, PluralSight. It might just be the general shoddiness of the PluralSight app, but it veers from going 15 seconds without a pause to parts of videos that are too glitchy to follow.

Darn!

Guest Mark_He

I didn't realise the Hudl did full screen casting before. I thought it was just supported apps?

Either way, I was briefly excited by the news that it now definitely does support it, but it's very stuttery on the only app I care about casting, PluralSight. It might just be the general shoddiness of the PluralSight app, but it veers from going 15 seconds without a pause to parts of videos that are too glitchy to follow.

Darn!

If you had the chromecast app installed, you definitely got the icon in the status bar before the update.

Full screen casting is a bit laggy compared to native support in an app; it's mostly aimed at presentations and simple screen sharing.

Guest Mark_He

I'm guessing it allows APK's to be moved but not obb files? I'm still gonna need to root the thing then if that's the case. :(

It's a bit hit and miss whether the "move" button is available, but I've got several of my larger games to move. I think it's down to support in the app.

I've noticed that it still reports the total size of the app in the app settings menu, whereas on my phone it reports the size of the app in internal memory, and you can then go into the individual entry for each app to see the amount on the sd card. I'm not sure where the difference lies, but I guess it's just what each dev thought was the best way.

Installed the update just fine last night but now find that Real Racing 3 now no longer runs and gives the dreaded "unfortunately real racing 3 has stopped" message when the app starts.

Guest benzodiazepines

Just got the update today, it's installing next to me as I type. Am I to understand that it doesn't enable full write permissions to the SD, only moving apps? Not as useful as it could be if so, it'd be a shame if they left that out when it'd be so easy to add the SD write fix.

Guest seanspotatobusiness

Just got the update today, it's installing next to me as I type. Am I to understand that it doesn't enable full write permissions to the SD, only moving apps? Not as useful as it could be if so, it'd be a shame if they left that out when it'd be so easy to add the SD write fix.

What's the issue exactly? What are we being prevented from doing?

Guest benzodiazepines

What's the issue exactly? What are we being prevented from doing?

We can't write to the SD card, and still can't after this update. Download any file manager and try to move something to the SD or delete something from it. It will fail because the system does not have SD write permissions. This is a Google restriction but it's a very easy one to remove and if Google is putting back non-Google features like apps to SD I think they should put this back too.

Guest seanspotatobusiness

We can't write to the SD card, and still can't after this update. Download any file manager and try to move something to the SD or delete something from it. It will fail because the system does not have SD write permissions. This is a Google restriction but it's a very easy one to remove and if Google is putting back non-Google features like apps to SD I think they should put this back too.

That's not a problem I have. My podcast app (Podcast Addict) stores them on the SD and I've downloaded to the SD using uTorrent. I'm not rooted either.

I just created a file on the SD card using ES File Explorer.

My microSD card is from here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A44NWAM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00 and I formatted it using the Hudl 2 when prompted.

Edited by seanspotatobusiness