HDMI out is flaky with my micro HDMI to HDMI cable

Guest glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

Please cast your vote, many thanks folks :)

Please refer to this help article before voting, many thanks:
http://ttselectrical.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3634/~/connecting-your-hudl-to-a-tv-via-an-hdmi-cable

I have a micro HDMI to HDMI cable, I've used it on another phone without error. I tried it from my Surface RT to the TV - flawless. I tried it from two DIFFERENT Hudl 2 devices... flaky. You have to wiggle the micro end to make it work, and hold it at an angle.

I thought I'd let you guys know that you may well have HDMI out issues with Hudl 2, as it works without issue on my other devices.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest glossywhite

Yes, have the same problem. Tried same cable with 7" Linx tablet and it was fine.

Annoying.....

And so we see another flaw to add to the rapidly mounting list of flaws of this cheap tablet. Tesco REALLY need to pull their socks up and sort this shambles out. As an electronic engineer, I can't see this being a software issue, as bending the cable made the connection work.

Such complex devices are full of minute and intricate mechanisms, each of which need to work properly for the overall experience to be a success, and for Tesco to have a winning product. This looks like Tesco are going to have a more than just a few returns for quite a while to come.

Sort it out, Tesco - you need to get everything working smoothly. With current confidence in Tesco's overall competence and ethical standards at an all time low, every little helps, and they need to snap to it, have a rocket up their bums and sort their business out pretty snappy.

Edited by glossywhite

I have 2 Hudl2 and the Hdmi out on both of them work perfectly with the 3 different cables I've tried.

For someone who doesn't actually own the tablet in question I find your unwavering devotion to find every potential possible flaw with the device above and beyond the call of duty.

I am curious though, do you work for Asda or something?

Guest glossywhite

HDMI out works perfectly with my Hudl 2, using a decent quality bluerigger cable from Amazon.

I'm glad to hear that. Maybe it's a certain brand/type/configuration or HDMI spec version of cable that is causing the problem, then.

I couldn't say to be honest I don't have another cable to try with my tablet, I know there were issues with the original Hudl and HDMI out issues for people. All in all most of the issues with the Hudl 2 have really been down to software in my opinion. I think the build quality on it is pretty damned good and I can't really fault it. For those of you who didn't already know it is manufactured by OEM company Pegatron who out together all of Apples products.

Guest seanspotatobusiness

And so we see another flaw to add to the rapidly mounting list of flaws of this cheap tablet. Tesco REALLY need to pull their socks up and sort this shambles out. As an electronic engineer, I can't see this being a software issue, as bending the cable made the connection work.

Such complex devices are full of minute and intricate mechanisms, each of which need to work properly for the overall experience to be a success, and for Tesco to have a winning product. This looks like Tesco are going to have a more than just a few returns for quite a while to come.

Sort it out, Tesco - you need to get everything working smoothly. With current confidence in Tesco's overall competence and ethical standards at an all time low, every little helps, and they need to snap to it, have a rocket up their bums and sort their business out pretty snappy.

What are your recommended Android/Windows tablets?

Guest glossywhite

What are your recommended Android/Windows tablets?

Nexus 7 for Android, bar none.

As for Windows, in order of descending price:

1/ Surface Pro 3

2/ Linx 10.1

3/ Voyo A1 Mini

Guest ajsexton

Not had an issue, I use the cheapest of the cheap microhdmi adapter I could find (something like 94p including postage from china) a cheap hdmi cable <£1.50, via a cheap hdmi 3 to 1 switch to a cheap tv

Any chance this poll could also have the option: -

Currently have not / do not use this feature.

Then more people could take part to add some perspective to the poll? (just a thought)

Guest r00tmydevices

Wonder if indeed it could have anything to do with which version of HDMI cable you're usung? i.e. nothing to do with the quality or how expensive if was. When connecting up a Humax PVR, I got a bootup splash screen displayed on my TV but then just a black screen each time I switched it on. Got in touch with Humax technical support and they suggested I try a different HDMI cable and/or different HDMI port on my TV. This solved the problem, although I'm still a little miffed about why I need to use a different port to port 1 which is labelled as PVR! Anyway, never had this issue with any other device. Might not be related in anyway to what has been experienced by others when trying the microHDMI out on their h2 but thought I'd mention my experience all the same.

Edited by r00tmydevices

works perfect on mine cheap cable through a denon amp or straight to tv any one know how to turn off screen whilst outputting from hdmi to conserve battery

Guest I am eusty

works perfect on mine cheap cable through a denon amp or straight to tv any one know how to turn off screen whilst outputting from hdmi to conserve battery

Mine also works OK, but I did have one adapter which was temperamental.

I think the screen going off is app dependant. When I play a video with VLC the screen says on, playing a HTML5 video on Chrome and the screen is blank.

One day I'll investigate.....

Guest glossywhite

Any chance this poll could also have the option: -

Currently have not / do not use this feature.

Then more people could take part to add some perspective to the poll? (just a thought)

Tell me; what would be the point of that? People not using HDMI would not be a worthwhile metric in a poll which samples users of the HDMI socket, and determines whether or not the Hudl 2 has an HDMI output fault. That poll option would be utterly irrelevant, and would serve only to provide a metric which is nonsensical when asking people if their HDMI output is working correctly or not. The point of the poll is that people USING this feature report back about its functionality - those who don't use it would just add numbers to a poll, without providing anything useful.

Edited by glossywhite

Guest geegeethatsme

Tell me; what would be the point of that? People not using HDMI would not be a worthwhile metric in a poll which samples users of the HDMI socket, and determines whether or not the Hudl 2 has an HDMI output fault. That poll option would be utterly irrelevant, and would serve only to provide a metric which is nonsensical when asking people if their HDMI output is working correctly or not. The point of the poll is that people USING this feature report back about its functionality - those who don't use it would just add numbers to a poll, without providing anything useful.

A fair point, but expressed in your increasingly combative style.  "utterly irrelevant", "nonsensical"?  Are those really the sorts of terms to use in a forum of friends and users trying to build both personal and collective knowledge?  We get that you are disappointed with Hudl2.  Can we move on now?

Guest glossywhite

A fair point, but expressed in your increasingly combative style. "utterly irrelevant", "nonsensical"? Are those really the sorts of terms to use in a forum of friends and users trying to build both personal and collective knowledge? We get that you are disappointed with Hudl2. Can we move on now?

You do have good points there - my language is overly expressive at times, sorry everyone :)

In an effort to help your poll as it's had many views but few votes, I borrowed a 'well used' micro to normal hdmi cable off a friend who has recently upgraded to a Google Chromecast setup - he demoed this for me and I must say I was impressed.

Anyway, including my own and my friends hudl2 bought at completely different times (mine day 1 of launch, his in early December) neither unit has any issues connected to a Samsung FHD TV. Just out of interest as it was mentioned earlier in this thread, I also tried for the first time my two original hudl's which have been well used and abused over the last year and a bit - also no issues found.

hudl2 hdmi testing:

04%20-%20hudl2%20hdmi.png

Original hudl hdmi testing:

05%20-%20hudl%20hdmi.png

Hopefully more people will vote in your poll as statistically - every little helps.

:ninja:

Guest Kate on the Gate

I have 2 Hudl2 and the Hdmi out on both of them work perfectly with the 3 different cables I've tried.

For someone who doesn't actually own the tablet in question I find your unwavering devotion to find every potential possible flaw with the device above and beyond the call of duty.

I am curious though, do you work for Asda or something?

Is this true glossywhite ? Have you not purchased the Hudl2?

Guest glossywhite

Is this true glossywhite ? Have you not purchased the Hudl2?

Please read my post history - I had one, and a family member also has one. Do you think I'd post specific, technical opinions on an item I didn't have a valid viewpoint on, having never had one in my posession? That would make me an idiot, wouldn't it?

Guest Kate on the Gate

I have no issues what so ever on the Hudl2 to TV operation. I do use the actual Hudl2 Mini HDMI to HDMI cable though which cost £15.00. There are much cheaper available on Amazon (one even specifically for Hudl2) which I'm sure would do the job just as well, I thought it was worth the money though, as, had there been a problem it could not have been blamed on the cable.

I am very happy with the performance and can say (as I own both) that it compares very favorably with the Nexus 7.

Edited by Kate on the Gate

Guest Kate on the Gate

I couldn't say to be honest I don't have another cable to try with my tablet, I know there were issues with the original Hudl and HDMI out issues for people. All in all most of the issues with the Hudl 2 have really been down to software in my opinion. I think the build quality on it is pretty damned good and I can't really fault it. For those of you who didn't already know it is manufactured by OEM company Pegatron who out together all of Apples products.

Thanks for that pudpoh. That is good to know and very reassuring.