[DEV][ROM][24.4.] CyanogenMod 12.1 (Android 5.1.1) for ZTE Open C / Kis 3

Guest KonstaT

Very interesting... can the SailfishOS port be downloaded somewhere?

No, not yet. There's still few things I'm working on (you can follow progress at Adaptations/libhybris). Currently working on making audio/video playback working with gstreamer codecs. Sailing on uncharted territories there on CM12.1 based ports so it takes some extra effort. Camera after that. RIL will likely stay broken for now unless some magic happens. There's also some timing issues (likely with droid-hal-init) which makes rebooting into Sailfish OS pretty unreliable. Installation will also likely require using adb and running some commands in the shell.

It's really cool to have a 'real' Linux mobile OS running on your device (even if it's only something to play around with). :)

No ETAs as usual.

Thank you for your hard work and effort for the community, KonstaT,

is there a way to return to the stock ROM? the ZTE Upgrade Open C Tool is not finding my device anymore and when I try to flash a different recovery and update via SD Card or Sideload (from here) it errors on me saying:

assert failed: file_get_display_id("system/build.prop", "ro.build.display.id") == "FFOS_EU_EBAY_OPENC"

E: Abnormal Exit

I've tried to edit out the line in the updater-script which checks for the display ID and put it back in the update.zip but then the signature verification fails. Not sure where to go from here.

Regards,

T4keru

Thank you for your hard work and effort for the community, KonstaT,

is there a way to return to the stock ROM? the ZTE Upgrade Open C Tool is not finding my device anymore and when I try to flash a different recovery and update via SD Card or Sideload (from here) it errors on me saying:

I've tried to edit out the line in the updater-script which checks for the display ID and put it back in the update.zip but then the signature verification fails. Not sure where to go from here.

Regards,

T4keru

Similar situation just a while back.

http://www.modaco.com/forums/topic/375814-help-requested-unable-to-get-upgrade-tool-to-see-my-phone/

Guest coolizard

Using this ROM on my father's Kis 3 (Moche A16). Working better than ever. With the stock ROM it reboot on some play store download's, the android system have a lot of wakelocks, draining all the battery in one day without using it, etc. We sent it to the warranty repair, but nothing was done. So, this ROM "repair" all the problems and now the phone have the most recent Android version, and performe very well.

So, thank you very much for your work, KonstaT. Smart brains, do great things.

Guest lynxx83

thank you so much for your work...

using cm-12.1-20150905   on an EU version of the ZTE Open C , almost without any problems..

(had it installed for a while, now I'm suddenly getting a few reboots every now and then again,

this seems to happen only when preferred network mode is set to "3G" and "data connection" enabled)

by the way, do you plan to port Anroid 6.0 / Android M for this device, once available?

also, I've seen that it seems like you released your sailfish OS port, very interesting..

Edited by lynxx83

Guest KonstaT

thank you so much for your work...

using cm-12.1-20150905   on an EU version of the ZTE Open C , almost without any problems..

(had it installed for a while, now I'm suddenly getting a few reboots every now and then again,

this seems to happen only when preferred network mode is set to "3G" and "data connection" enabled)

by the way, do you plan to port Anroid 6.0 / Android M for this device, once available?

also, I've seen that it seems like you released your sailfish OS port, very interesting..

By reboots, I assume you mean soft reboot (Android framework is restarted and you'll get kicked to the bootanimation) vs. hard reboot (e.g. kernel panics and device is booted from the scratch - splash screen is the first thing you'd see)? Random soft reboots is currently a known issue in CM12.1 across all devices.
https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse/NIGHTLIES-1715

Suggested workaround is to disable strict mode.

su
setprop persist.sys.strictmode.disable true

in 'adb shell'/Terminal Emulator and reboot your device.

Marshmallow source code was pushed to AOSP yesterday and CM is already busy branching it for cm-13.0. There's nothing yet for Marshmallow in CAF (Qualcomm's platform reference), so you still can't build anything that would actually work on this hardware/device. Usually with new Android version takes a week or two to get everything buildable and then weeks/months to get everything working on an actual device (talking about non-Nexus devices). I've already read some of the code/commit history and there doesn't seem to be major changes that would prevent this device from running Android 6.0 or that would cause too much problems. And as long Qualcomm supports bigger b-family 'siblings' msm8974 and msm8226, msm8610 should be fine too (though I find it likely they'll officially drop msm8610 now like they dropped msm8610 with 512mb RAM for Lollipop - and we're still doing it ;)). No ETAs as usual, other than that the timescale here is months - not weeks or days.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest lynxx83

hi, thanks for your fast reply..

I'm new to this, so I haven't figured out yet how to read out the according log files (be it either after soft reboot or hard reboot e.g after kernel panics).. ADB via USB isn't working right now here on Win 7 x64..

so all I can say, is that it is jumping to the green android 'boot(?)' logo followed by the blue cyanogenmod logo.

I will check when I'm back home, and pay attention the next time if it should happen again.

thanks for your infos regarding random soft reboots and marshmallow, that kinda sounds promising, and ofc I can wait, CM 12.1 is running quite well on this low end device..

Edited by lynxx83

Guest KonstaT

hi, thanks for your fast reply..

I'm new to this, so I haven't figured out yet how to read out the according log files (be it either after soft reboot or hard reboot e.g after kernel panics).. ADB via USB isn't working right now here on Win 7 x64..

so all I can say, is that it is jumping to the green android 'boot(?)' logo followed by the blue cyanogenmod logo.

I will check when I'm back home, and pay attention the next time if it should happen again.

thanks for your infos regarding random soft reboots and marshmallow, that kinda sounds promising, and ofc I can wait, CM 12.1 is running quite well on this low end device..

That would be a hard reboot then, so likely not caused by the issue I linked. I haven't experienced any reboots lately and haven't received any reports either...

Guest drake763

Hi KonstaT, first let me thank you for your amazing work, I've been happily using cm11 on my open c for some time now, this actually made the phone usable.

I just wanted to build cm12 for the open c in order to have my phone without any stagefright vulnerabilities. However the repo sync command fails and returns something about insufficient permissions when accessing the repo. So I'd like to ask if you could give me a hint how to build cm12 at the moment or if you're planning to release a build yourself at some point?

All best and many thanks again!

Guest KonstaT

Hi KonstaT, first let me thank you for your amazing work, I've been happily using cm11 on my open c for some time now, this actually made the phone usable.

I just wanted to build cm12 for the open c in order to have my phone without any stagefright vulnerabilities. However the repo sync command fails and returns something about insufficient permissions when accessing the repo. So I'd like to ask if you could give me a hint how to build cm12 at the moment or if you're planning to release a build yourself at some point?

All best and many thanks again!

Oh, it's been a month again. Might as well do a new build with October security patches before things get too busy with CM13.

Device tree is set private in my Gitlab and you'd need to be added as collaborator to sync it. It's been that way since I had put some 'sanctions' to Russians. :P I recently pushed it to public (somewhere ;)) so might as well put it back to my Github, too.

Guest drake763

Hi, thanks a lot for the new build! If you say it's patch level 1st October, then the latest stagefright isn't yet fixed, right (referring to this post http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/android-security-bulletin-october-5th-update)?

Also, let me stress again that this device wouldn't be usable if it were't for your cm work :)! So many thanks!

PS: Not sure if it's intended or not (sorry to bother again): When doing repo sync, it still stops at "Fetching projects:  97% (536/552)"

Edited by drake763

Guest KonstaT

Hi, thanks a lot for the new build! If you say it's patch level 1st October, then the latest stagefright isn't yet fixed, right (referring to this post http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/android-security-bulletin-october-5th-update)?

Also, let me stress again that this device wouldn't be usable if it were't for your cm work :)! So many thanks!

PS: Not sure if it's intended or not (sorry to bother again): When doing repo sync, it still stops at "Fetching projects:  97% (536/552)"

No, it means that all known stagefright (and other) vulnerabilities are patched. We're talking about the AOSP security patch level (Nexus line of devices is now updated once a month). Just because CM happened to merge and advertise it couple of days later doesn't mean anything. There's also now a new entry in 'About phone' settings that shows the security patch level.

You need to update your local manifest after this.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest drake763

Thanks for the clarification about the patch level!

I exchanged the manifest for the one you linked to, yet now it still gives 

Fetching projects:  95% (525/552)  
error: Exited sync due to fetch errors

Don't want to bother you too much about that, I'll just use your build then ;) Many thanks!

(PS: Dou you happen to know whether cm11 (open c?)  will also get the latest stagefright patch?)

Edited by drake763

Guest KonstaT

Thanks for the clarification about the patch level!

I exchanged the manifest for the one you linked to, yet now it still gives 

Fetching projects:  95% (525/552)  
error: Exited sync due to fetch errors

Don't want to bother you too much about that, I'll just use your build then ;) Many thanks!

(PS: Dou you happen to know whether cm11 (open c?)  will also get the latest stagefright patch?)

More specific error? What repository is failing to sync? You might need to do 'repo sync --force-sync KonstaT/android_device_zte_kis3' at least.

If someone finds it necessary to port the patches to CM11, then yes.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest debian2

Hey, KonstaT, I've found a few bugs.

In 9.10 battery icon (circle icon) don't rotate while charging sometimes.

In many builds after unexpectedly reboot touch don't work. It fixes by battery removing.

Our device have too few memory. May you enable swap by default (in first partition on SD) in next builds?

Guest KonstaT

Hey, KonstaT, I've found a few bugs.

In 9.10 battery icon (circle icon) don't rotate while charging sometimes.

In many builds after unexpectedly reboot touch don't work. It fixes by battery removing.

Our device have too few memory. May you enable swap by default (in first partition on SD) in next builds?

Battery icon problem is only in this latest build? Issues like this are not specific to this device so it's really not my problem anyway. That's CM, things get broken and things get fixed all the time, better get used to it. Edit. Actually it's not even supposed to rotate anymore, removing animation was by design. http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/109305/

After unexpected reboot unexpected things can happen. Reboot your device properly then. ;)

Enabling swap by default is not going to happen (already using zRAM). Traditionally it's been the third partition on the sdcard that's for swap (FAT, EXT, SWAP in that order).

Edited by KonstaT

This new rom works well!!

I used: tk_gapps-modular-pico-5.1.1-20150920-signed.zip

One problem: Didn't get the kalendar to sync on my two phones (both).

Had to put the calendar app from "cm-12.1-20150905-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-kis3.zip" to make it sync.

Anyone else had this problem?

Everything else works sofar!

Thanks for your work KonstaT!!

Guest KonstaT

This new rom works well!!

I used: tk_gapps-modular-pico-5.1.1-20150920-signed.zip

One problem: Didn't get the kalendar to sync on my two phones (both).

Had to put the calendar app from "cm-12.1-20150905-UNOFFICIAL-KonstaKANG-kis3.zip" to make it sync.

Anyone else had this problem?

Everything else works sofar!

Thanks for your work KonstaT!!

Nothing but translations has been merged to the calendar app for months. I highly doubt there's a problem there. Temporary server side issue or problem with gapps?

Google Calendar is also available at Play Store and it's more up to date than its AOSP (open source) version.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest FusionOz

I have the Optus Hop Smart V811 and this does not work on my device all I get is Not Verified? I have no idea why it does this and I have been trying for over a week now to get this on my phone