Cyanogen and Microsoft sitting in a tree...

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Cyanogen have today announced an extensive partnership with Microsoft.

While the release doesn't say exactly when we will start to see Microsoft products integrated into Cyanogen OS, it does lay out the vision for deep integration between the two companies and a pretty wholesale removal of any reliance on Google's products.

With 'Bing services, Skype, OneDrive, OneNote, Outlook, and Microsoft Office' set to be integrated into Cyanogen OS, it's easy to imagine Bing replacing Google Search, Skype replaceing Hangouts, Outlook replacing Email, OneDrive & Office replaces Google Drive, OneNote replacing Keep... the one question I do have - why would you buy Windows Phone when devices running this suite start hitting the market?

The big remaining question for me is around the app store on Cyanogen OS - will Cyanogen roll their own or partner with someone like Amazon? Even Microsoft had an Android app store previously on the Nokia X range...

Interesting times! Let us know your thoughts!

Cyanogen Announces Strategic Partnership With Microsoft

Cyanogen Open OS Platform to Offer Microsoft Services Later This Year

PALO ALTO, CA--(Marketwired - April 16, 2015) - Cyanogen Inc. and Microsoft Corp. announced a partnership to integrate popular Microsoft services across the Cyanogen Operating System. With offices in Palo Alto and Seattle, Cyanogen is a leading mobile operating system company that is evolving the Android platform to create a more open, level playing field for third-party developed apps and services.

Under the partnership, Cyanogen will integrate and distribute Microsoft's consumer apps and services across core categories, including productivity, messaging, utilities, and cloud-based services. As part of this collaboration, Microsoft will create native integrations on Cyanogen OS, enabling a powerful new class of experiences.

"People around the world use Cyanogen's operating system and popular Microsoft services to engage with what matters most to them on their mobile devices," said Kirt McMaster, CEO of Cyanogen Inc. "This exciting partnership with Microsoft will enable us to bring new kinds of integrated services to mobile users in markets around the world."

"We aspire to have our tools within arm's reach of everyone, to empower them in all aspects of their lives. This partnership represents another important step towards that ambition," said Peggy Johnson, Executive Vice President of Microsoft Corp. "We'll continue to deliver world-class experiences across productivity and communications on Windows, and we're delighted that Cyanogen users will soon be able to take advantage of those same powerful services."

The distribution arrangement includes a number of Microsoft services: Bing services, Skype, OneDrive, OneNote, Outlook, and Microsoft Office.

About Cyanogen Inc.

Cyanogen is reimagining mobile computing, giving power to the people to customize their mobile device and content experiences. The CYANOGEN® operating system is built on Android and known for its revolutionary personalization features, intuitive interface, speed, improved battery life, and enhanced security. With a rapidly growing global user base and a vibrant community of developers, we're intelligently connecting smartphone and tablet consumers to people, apps, and things they love. For more information, visit Cyanogen's website, Google+, Twitter, and Facebook.

View full item

Guest Sere83

Thing i love about cyanogen is how they went from a stalwart in the community genuinely caring about the android experience and trying to improve on googles AOSP roms etc to a smack talking bunch of corporate skum bags trying to wrestle Android away from the very people they owe their whole existence to and continue to owe all their updates and continued prosperity too.

The irony is that they are basically irrelevant now. I don't even know why companies are paying them for software, when they could just install AOSP and be done with it, cyanogen is not that much better in reality. Also Cyanogen clearly lack the expertise of big manufacturers to produce properly optimised and impressive camera software, i'm not that impressed at all by the one plus camera considering what other companies have done with the Sony IMX214 sensor.

Not to mention the fact that all big manufacturers roms have theme engines now, are highly customisable etc etc. Just don't see the point of their existence any more. Maybe they might be of use to some chinese oems that lack the experience in their own rom teams but cyanogen have no original software of their own, they've done essentially nothing but add some customisation options to android and now have aspirations to offer a cut down sub par android experience without google. Very bizarre strategy IMHO.

Guest Mourta

The further away we get from the FLOSS standard set by the kernel we are using the worse it will get.

As a developer who have been involved with Linux kernel development for a long time i don't mind partnerships but i do know Microsoft’s business practices all too well which is why i would prefer to keep a watchful eye out on this.

It wouldn't be the first time a project got a Microsoft kiss of death.

Guest nemacx

From the past experiences with Microsoft, I can only presume that this is not going to end well, Nokia is the sole example of that. I do support Cyanogen for trying to move away from the traditional way of doing things, they always had to have the most innovative ways of doing things, but I don't support the devil's partnership with the devil itself.

The key here is money, Cyanogen got greedy, they should've looked up to Jolla, followed their example. I only hope that something good comes out of all this.

Guest Mourta

Thing i love about cyanogen is how they went from a stalwart in the community genuinely caring about the android experience and trying to improve on googles AOSP roms etc to a smack talking bunch of corporate skum bags trying to wrestle Android away from the very people they owe their whole existence to and continue to owe all their updates and continued prosperity too.

The irony is that they are basically irrelevant now. I don't even know why companies are paying them for software, when they could just install AOSP and be done with it, cyanogen is not that much better in reality. Also Cyanogen clearly lack the expertise of big manufacturers to produce properly optimised and impressive camera software, i'm not that impressed at all by the one plus camera considering what other companies have done with the Sony IMX214 sensor.

Not to mention the fact that all big manufacturers roms have theme engines now, are highly customisable etc etc. Just don't see the point of their existence any more. Maybe they might be of use to some chinese oems that lack the experience in their own rom teams but cyanogen have no original software of their own, they've done essentially nothing but add some customisation options to android and now have aspirations to offer a cut down sub par android experience without google. Very bizarre strategy IMHO.

Which is why OmniROM was started in the first place, to provide an alternative completely devoid of CM code.

The idea that they are taking open source code from Google to use in a partnership with Microsoft makes me throw up a bit in my mouth.

Edited by Mourta

• 1 month later...
Guest WearTheFoxHat

I must admit, that my OnePlus One has been amazing .... on KitKat.  As soon as it went to Android 5.x it's been destined for the bin.  Oxygen OS has major interface flaws.  CM12s isn't any better.  They both have an awful bug whereby when losing signal, it switches to roaming, and is then loathed to switch back to a normal network with data.  In my case this dropping from Three to Orange for 2G services.  The only option is to reboot the phone.

The OPO was sold on the promise that it is a community supported phone by Cyanogen, and software updates would be on a par with Nexus devices.  Yet they couldn't maintain a business relationship.  I moved from Samsung to Nexus because of bloatware and untimely updates. Yet I'm now thinking LG G4 or Samsung S6. 

Guest psionandy

Thats odd... because I have lollipop 5.1 from Cynaogenmod on my device...  Didn't realise three still roamed to Orange, certainly my Note2 never managed it, so I turned roaming off.

With all the 3rd party roms, my device is now depressingly stable. In fact I can't recall the last time I had to reboot it to sort any problems... the only glitch I have is with BBC Iplayer streaming, but I can live with that.

Guest Mourta

I must admit, that my OnePlus One has been amazing .... on KitKat.  As soon as it went to Android 5.x it's been destined for the bin.  Oxygen OS has major interface flaws.  CM12s isn't any better.  They both have an awful bug whereby when losing signal, it switches to roaming, and is then loathed to switch back to a normal network with data.  In my case this dropping from Three to Orange for 2G services.  The only option is to reboot the phone.

The OPO was sold on the promise that it is a community supported phone by Cyanogen, and software updates would be on a par with Nexus devices.  Yet they couldn't maintain a business relationship.  I moved from Samsung to Nexus because of bloatware and untimely updates. Yet I'm now thinking LG G4 or Samsung S6. 

"it is a community supported phone by Cyanogen"

If you bought that line from those people then... you don't know anything about them.

They would sell their mother to the Albanian mob if the price was right, from the get go they have been about one thing and one thing only. The code doesn't matter to them at all.

They will eventually just become yet another MS project that will be cancelled.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.