Trouble installing recovery

Guest doveman

Guest doveman

I'm currently running a rooted 4.0.3 with baseband 2030 but as it's impossible to unlock the bootloader (DC Unlocker doesn't even show the information it should, so it's not worth spending any money on an unlock code), I want to downgrade to GB baseband with GBXtreme, so I can give the phone to my Dad. I know I need to flash Downgrade-B895.zip and then gbxtreme_build-02_hwu8815_signed.zip but I don't seem to have a custom recovery installed at the moment and I'm not sure if I can safely flash either of those from the stock recovery.

I tried to install TWRP from here using the Windows install batch http://www.modaco.com/topic/359827-twrp-2631-official-for-u8815u8815nu8818-09122013/page-11 but I get an error 

sending 'recovery' (7344 KB)... OKAY
writing 'recovery'... FAILED (remote: Command not allowed)

I would have tried unlockbootloader.exe from here but Chrome blocked it as malware and Avast deleted it after I downloaded it with IE, so I don't think I should risk ignoring those warnings

So if anyone could help me that'd be great.
Edited by doveman

Guest vhristenco

You don't need to install custom recovery or unlock bootloader in order to downgrade to stock GB.

All you have to do is force flash this patch (to allow downgrading), then force flash the Stock B895 ROM.

EDIT: after downgrading to Stock GB the bootloader will be unlocked and you'll be able to install any custom recovery (and rom).

Edited by vhristenco

Guest doveman

You don't need to install custom recovery or unlock bootloader in order to downgrade to stock GB.

All you have to do is force flash this patch (to allow downgrading), then force flash the Stock B895 ROM.

EDIT: after downgrading to Stock GB the bootloader will be unlocked and you'll be able to install any custom recovery (and rom).

Ah thanks, so once I've got stock GB installed I can just flash CWM/TWRP or GBXTreme from the stock recovery or must I flash a custom recovery and then flash GBXTreme from that?

EDIT: How do I flash an UPDATE.APP file, do I just put it on the root of my SD card, boot to stock recovery and select it from there?

Edited by doveman

Guest vhristenco

to flash UPDATE.APP you must create a folder called 'dload' on the sdcard and put UPDATE.APP inside that folder. After that, power off the phone, remove the battery, wait for a few seconds, re-insert the battery and power on the phone WHILE pressing Vol+ and Vol- buttons.

Once you get to stock GB you can install twrp/cwm, then flash any custom rom (for GB baseband).

Guest doveman

to flash UPDATE.APP you must create a folder called 'dload' on the sdcard and put UPDATE.APP inside that folder. After that, power off the phone, remove the battery, wait for a few seconds, re-insert the battery and power on the phone WHILE pressing Vol+ and Vol- buttons.

Once you get to stock GB you can install twrp/cwm, then flash any custom rom (for GB baseband).

Thanks, that worked fine. Do I not need to flash the Downgrade-B895.zip to downgrade the baseband before flashing the stock GB ROM, or will that be done when I flash the ROM?

Do I do the same thing to force flash the ROM, i.e. put the V100R001C02B895.zip in the dload folder?

Guest vhristenco

You should just unpack the zip file containing B895 and copy the UPDATE.APP it contains to the dload folder on the sdcard. Then, force-flash it.

Guest doveman

You should just unpack the zip file containing B895 and copy the UPDATE.APP it contains to the dload folder on the sdcard. Then, force-flash it.

Thanks, I didn't think to look at the contents of the zip!

Guest doveman

Just a warning for anyone else reading this, both openrecovery-twrp-2.8.0.1-u8815.img and 2.6.3.1 failed to work and resulted in the phone locking up with all lights on when I tried to boot to recovery. recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.0-u8815-R3.img worked fine though.

Guest vhristenco

I also used cwm for a long time, but now I like twrp more for its touch UI. Both have similar functions but I personally find twrp easier to use.