Easiest Way to Root Hudl 2 running latest update/software

Guest EananC

Guest EananC

Here is how to root the HUDL running the latest software update. Has worked for myself on a few hudls and others have verified it here also.

• Copy the su update zip (named “UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46” in the extracted folder from step 1) to your Hudl 2’s internal memory or preferably, its microSD card. Remember where you put it!

• Enable USB debugging from developer settings on the hudl. . 

• If you don't know how to turn on USB Debugging, here is how: 
    • 1. Go to Settings menu on your device.
    • 2.Go to About tablet submenu. 
    • 3.Now scroll to “Build Number” and tap it multiple times.
    • 4.After tapping it enough times you will see an alert saying “You are now a developer”/”Developer mode has been enabled”.
    • 5.Now if you go to your Settings menu, you will see the developer options submenu over there.
    • 6.Tap on the Developer options and then turn on USB Debugging.

• Start the root process by clicking double clicking “launcher” in the “IntelAndroid-FBRL-01-17-2015” folder and watch your HUDL screen. It may show a pop up asking to accept your PC’s “fingerprint” or something like that and show a long number of random characters. Click accept. 

• On the next window type “T3” without quotes when asked for options.

• The Hudl should reboot to the new recovery which is CWM recovery. The screen should be grey and show a Hat symbol. 

• Navigate to “install from SD Card” using the volume keys and the power button is enter. Then to install zip from SD card and chose the “UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46” zip you copied earlier.

• Click enter and wait.

• It should reboot your hudl back to normal and it will be rooted.

• *OBLIGATORY* I am not responsible for a bricked HUDL or any damage done to it. I dont know if this voids the warranty also but it shouldn't. If you follow the guide it will be easy and hard to break your hudl.

Troubleshooting:

If you get "UNKNOWN DEVICE" error or something along those lines in red writing when using launcher.bat, install the pdanet drivers (http://pdanet.co/) and see if that fixes the issue. it did for me once.

Edited by EananC

Guest CPN200

So, what's the deal? Can the Hudl 2 with the latest firmware update actually be rooted or not? There are conflicting reports in other places in regard to this? Even if it can be done, do all the built-in (to Android OS) Google services still continue to run correctly afterwards without ANY glitches at all?

Guest EananC

So, what's the deal? Can the Hudl 2 with the latest firmware update actually be rooted or not? There are conflicting reports in other places in regard to this? Even if it can be done, do all the built-in (to Android OS) Google services still continue to run correctly afterwards without ANY glitches at all?

Yes, check the sticky. Others have followed the guide and its worked fine. Ive just rooted my third hudl 2 running latest software and it was a 5 minute job. Google services run like normal.

Guest spencer1620

Yes I'll second that, this method works a treat and yes Google services does work as normal

Guest MurdoD

Got mine working with this method also. All i need now is a root hider that works with SkyGo, a way to remove the extra "Tesco" page (ant [T] in the top left corner) and I'll be happy!

With regards to the last half, just change your launcher from Tesco's to something else and you'll have all the control you want.

Edited by Guest

Guest Alien Heads

Xo98HhX.jpg

Followed the instructions here & now have root, thanks.

I did have an initial problem with the adb drivers, the "launcher" kept telling me the adb drivers were out of date. So I rebooted my pc and everything worked first try.

Guest Robin Wheeler

That site won't allow me to download, even though I've created an account which allows me to log-in etc. Could someone who has successfully downloaded please share a copy of the intel drivers ? Thanks

Just checked site and it still works there is no need to create an account just accept their terms and conditions and you should get a download link

Guest Roy Hudl

Thanks Robin -

When I accept the T&C's and arrive at the download screen, clicking there just brings up a log-in page -

driverless.jpg

I've created an account, but then it says I am not authorised to d/l those files.  I think my IP must be unrecognised or blacklisted!   Tred in Chrome and Firefox, no difference.  

Guest Jabbitt

This sounds brilliant! Can I also use tethered recovery to create a nandroid backup before rooting? So if anything goes wrong in the future I can use this process to restore my Hudl2?

Guest vampirefo

This sounds brilliant! Can I also use tethered recovery to create a nandroid backup before rooting? So if anything goes wrong in the future I can use this process to restore my Hudl2?

Yes, if you just backup system you could upload and share with others, so they could also flash back to stock if needed.

Guest UWantSumChicken

When I tried this method, after I entered T3 the Hudl rebooted to to a screen with a droidboot droid and no option to install from SD card rather than the grey screen with a Hat symbol described above. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Guest UWantSumChicken

When I tried this method, after I entered T3 the Hudl rebooted to to a screen with a droidboot droid and no option to install from SD card rather than the grey screen with a Hat symbol described above. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Does my Hudl not have the new CWM recovery?

Guest UWantSumChicken

Your Hudl will never have the new CWM it is a tethered method or temporary if you prefer, once rebooted its gone.

Your problem on the Droid boot screen is you are missing adb drivers!

Signed drivers are here http://www.mediafire.com/download/8mlrrgzkzd0woud/IntelAndroidDrvSetup1.9.0.zip

So in order to fix this all I have to do is install the correct drivers from that link?

Guest alessandro.santini

Got mine working with this method also. All i need now is a root hider that works with SkyGo, a way to remove the extra "Tesco" page (ant [T] in the top left corner) and I'll be happy!

You only need to change launcher... I use the Google Now and works a treat.

Guest Lianite

Your Hudl will never have the new CWM it is a tethered method or temporary if you prefer, once rebooted its gone.

Your problem on the Droid boot screen is you are missing adb drivers!

Signed drivers are here http://www.mediafire.com/download/8mlrrgzkzd0woud/IntelAndroidDrvSetup1.9.0.zip

I have the same problem. I have installed the drivers yet still I have the same issue. All I have done is run the IntelAndroidDrvSetup1.9.0.exe. Do I need to do anything from here or is that all that is needed for the driver install as it isn't making a difference. Thanks Edited by Lianite

Guest CPN200

I have the same problem. I have installed the drivers yet still I have the same issue. All I have done is run the IntelAndroidDrvSetup1.9.0.exe. Do I need to do anything from here or is that all that is needed for the driver install as it isn't making a difference. Thanks

Ditto for me too...