Easiest Way to Root Hudl 2 running latest update/software

Guest EananC

Guest CPN200

Not yet, no but to be honest I have more pressing matters to deal with at the moment so it's not that high on the priority list...

I have rooted many devices before this coming, as I do, from 45+ years in the Computing industry in various forms and the annoying part is that I have the full Android DK installed on my (64bit) desktop which seems to have no problem talking to any Android device I plug it into apart from the Hudl2!! Since I can block the majority of Tesco stuff without rooting and use ad blockers to take care of the annoyances and, more importantly, it works exactly as I would like it to work, it's not that important to get done just now but I'll get round to it eventually when I can spare the time...

Guest robin0800

I have the same problem. I have installed the drivers yet still I have the same issue. All I have done is run the IntelAndroidDrvSetup1.9.0.exe. Do I need to do anything from here or is that all that is needed for the driver install as it isn't making a difference. Thanks

When you get to the step that doesn't work open device manager and look for the little yellow triangle that is your hudl that wants that intel-android driver that you have installed.

The difficult bit is telling the computer that that is the driver it wants but because its signed it will accept it without problems.

Suggest you try and if you get stuck post again.

Guest Lianite

When you get to the step that doesn't work open device manager and look for the little yellow triangle that is your hudl that wants that intel-android driver that you have installed.

The difficult bit is telling the computer that that is the driver it wants but because its signed it will accept it without problems.

Suggest you try and if you get stuck post again.

Okay will try when I'm back home. Thanks for the help.

Guest UWantSumChicken

I never had the yellow triangle before installing the drivers and nothing has changed since installing those either (I'm still being directed to the droidboot screen after installing the drivers provided).

Guest UWantSumChicken

I never had the yellow triangle before installing the drivers and nothing has changed since installing those either (I'm still being directed to the droidboot screen after installing the drivers provided).

Sorry my bad, I now see the yellow triangle. However, I am unsure what the name of the driver is. Is it the Intel MTP USB driver? Or is it called something else? If so can someone tell me where I can find it in the update driver window? Thanks for the help

Guest Lianite

Sorry my bad, I now see the yellow triangle. However, I am unsure what the name of the driver is. Is it the Intel MTP USB driver? Or is it called something else? If so can someone tell me where I can find it in the update driver window? Thanks for the help

Double-click the device, then click update driver, then click the search option. From here press the button billow the searching bar. It should have a list of companys. Mine says Google and Intel. Find Intel and click the first option (ADB driver). Then your tablet will boot into CWM recovery. From here follow the steps posted previously. Thanks to @robin0800 and @CPN200 for the help. My Hudl 2 is now rooted. Cheers  :)

Guest UWantSumChicken

Thanks a lot everyone for the help! Finally rooted my device. One problem though is there a way to update the SuperSU app? I don't think it is allowing root access to some apps and I think it may be because I need to update the SuperSU binaries or something.

Guest brackehill_mob

Thanks a lot everyone for the help! Finally rooted my device. One problem though is there a way to update the SuperSU app? I don't think it is allowing root access to some apps and I think it may be because I need to update the SuperSU binaries or something.

D/l from play store & follow its instructions

Guest r00tmydevices

In my experience SuperSU will prompt you with a popup window the first time you try to access certain apps. You can choose 'just once' or 'always'. Provided you choose 'always', it should no longer display the popup window or deny access to that particular app(s).

Guest UWantSumChicken

Yeah that also happens for me but even after granting some apps with root access they display messages like "root authorisation failed" or "root required". I have checked and root is installed correctly and supersu works for most apps just some apps aren't getting the permissions even after I grant them.

Guest brackehill_mob

Yeah that also happens for me but even after granting some apps with root access they display messages like "root authorisation failed" or "root required". I have checked and root is installed correctly and supersu works for most apps just some apps aren't getting the permissions even after I grant them.

As I said before, you need to download the latest version from the play store,. Then run it (don't wait for an app to ask for root) and follow its instructions to install itself - you don't need to do it Vida recovery. This is normal when rooting.

Guest r00tmydevices

Have just successfully rooted a family members hudl 2 using this method. Many thanks EananC.

It was previously rooted back in March, but then I first installed all available updates which inevitably removed root.

Followed the instructions and everything went as expected until the last part which states:

• "It should reboot your hudl back to normal and it will be rooted."

This however did not happen automatically. It just remained on the same screen it was on within recovery mode. I selected 'go back' using the volume down button then power button to select. At the top of this list of options it said something along the lines of 'select root fix' which I did. That took a few seconds to do its thing then when I again selected 'go back' it rebooted itself and was now rooted.

Not sure if anyone else experienced the same thing but thought I'd mention it in case anyone else gets stuck?

Hoping Tesco don't keep pushing out new OTA updates and so re-rooting a number of hudl 2 devices is not necessary! 

Guest UWantSumChicken

I know this isn't strictly related to root on Hudl 2 but does anyone know why screen recording apps (which require root) don't work on the Hudl 2. These apps include the following: Rec., SCR Pro & Screen Recorder

• 2 weeks later...
Guest arnookie

No its not granting access correctly. r/w permissions error.

Trying other SU apps does not help.

Not all apps get granted rights correctly r/w permissions not set correctly so some will fail.

Edited by arnookie

Guest robin0800

Once on my Hudl2 I found the system folder although set to r/w could not be written to. I checked with es file explorer this can explicitly set the system folder to r/w and it could not do it.

The solution was to load Paul's latest image which rewrites the system folder and the Hudl was al right after that. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rickthreeoneseleven

Thanks EananC and Robin!

My issue was after rebooting into fastboot it would just hang and not do anything.

I had checked I had the correct ADB driver loaded when the kindle was loaded into andriod, but after reboot into fastboot it once again flipped to yellow exclamation mark, that's when I followed Robin's advice (right click and force the Intel ADB driver) that it all came together.

So thanks both.

Guest Robert42

I followed the instructions very carefully and I believe that I did not make any errors. Just in case there is a compatibility issue. This is my build of my Hudl2 "20150529.110309”

I downloaded the 'Tesco Hudl2 Root Stuff' from the mirror site because it would not let me download from the primary site.

I copied the “UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip” to the root directory of SD card

I loaded the abd drivers by running “adb-windows.exe” then “fastboot-windows.exe”.

Next I put the Hudl2 into USB debugging mode.

Finally, I ran “launcher.bat” and the screen opened up with a ":" prompt. But nothing happened on the Hudl2.

I can only think of one of two things, that my device may not be compatible with this method, or, and this is the most likely I have done something or not done something that I should be doing, but I can't work out what.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks, Robert

Guest Robert42

Good news, I fixed the problem. In fact, I had three problems and if it will help others. I shall relate them here.

1. I was wondering if I had a firewall problem but no messages had been displayed so I went on to the netbook. This time when I ran 'launched.bat' and entered 'ACCEPT' it went on to the next screen.

2. Next I got the message in red telling me that I had an unknown device. As this was already dealt with in the instructions I downloaded and installed 'pdanet' and this fix the problem.

3. Located and installed the SuperSU file and all seem to go well, except it would not reboot. I waited quite a while and there was no change there. Using the menu at the top of the screen. I chose to do a manual reboot. A message came up to say that the boot was damaged and gave me the option to fix it amongst a series of no's on doing that the device shutdown and reboot it into the normal screen.

I don't know why I had these problems, but at least I worked around them.

Robert…

Guest r00tmydevices

Had the same issue as you (point 3) when using this latest method to root a hudl 2. Selected 'fix' option then manually rebooted and tablet was rooted.

Possibly worthwhile editing the original post to reflect this so others don't panic when they are no longer able to follow as per the guide?

Guest DevBrad

Hello, has anyone got the latest updates (July 2015) ROM, rooted or stock? If so please add a link below. Thanks

Edited by DevBrad

• 2 weeks later...
Guest r00tmydevices

Have just rooted my replacement hudl 2 using this method and had the exact same experience as I had a month ago when rooting another unit which I mentioned in an earlier post.

Here is what I did both times.

• Copy the su update zip (named “UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46” in the extracted folder from step 1) to your Hudl 2’s internal memory or preferably, its microSD card. Remember where you put it!

• Enable USB debugging from developer settings on the hudl. . 

• If you don't know how to turn on USB Debugging, here is how: 
    • 1. Go to Settings menu on your device.
    • 2.Go to About tablet submenu. 
    • 3.Now scroll to “Build Number” and tap it multiple times.
    • 4.After tapping it enough times you will see an alert saying “You are now a developer”/”Developer mode has been enabled”.
    • 5.Now if you go to your Settings menu, you will see the developer options submenu over there.
    • 6.Tap on the Developer options and then turn on USB Debugging.

• Start the root process by double clicking “launcher” in the “IntelAndroid-FBRL-01-17-2015” folder and watch your HUDL screen. It may show a pop up asking to accept your PC’s “fingerprint” or something like that and show a long number of random characters. Put a check in box that says 'Always allow for this computer' then click 'accept'. 

• On the next window type “T3” without quotes when asked for options.

• The Hudl should reboot to the new recovery which is CWM recovery. The screen should be grey and show a Hat symbol. 

• Navigate to 'choose zip from external sdcard' using the volume keys and the power button is enter. Now select 'UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46' zip you copied earlier.

• Click enter and wait until you see this message in the bottom left corner of your screen 'Install from sdcard complete'
  • Select 'Go back' then enter
  • Select 'reboot system now' then enter which brings up 'Root access possibly lost. Fix?'
  • Scroll down to 'Yes - Fix root  (/system/xbin/su) and then enter
  • hudl 2 will now reboot and it will be rooted.
  •  
  • *OBLIGATORY* I am not responsible for a bricked HUDL or any damage done to it. I dont know if this voids the warranty also but it shouldn't. If you follow the guide it will be easy and hard to break your hudl.

Troubleshooting:

If you get "UNKNOWN DEVICE" error or something along those lines in red writing when using launcher.bat, install the pdanet drivers (http://pdanet.co/) and see if that fixes the issue. it did for me once.