Easiest Way to Root Hudl 2 running latest update/software

Guest EananC

Guest r00tmydevices

How should I proceed updating to the latest version if I am rooted already?

Update tablet which will remove root then root again using method mentioned in this thread. 

Think I originally posted in the wrong thread for older versions so sorry for the duplicate (mods) can you move me please?

I have followed instructions carefully but have this error...

AG-1-12.jpg

Guest robin0800

That is the stock recovery where a lot of things are broken and don't work You would be better off using the tethered  recovery method described in the "this could be useful" thread as it's independent of version number.

Guest Roy Hudl

Thanks to  EananC, Rooty, Robin and others -

Just rooted our second Hudl2, no problem at all.  

Straight out of the box, installed the latest Tesco OS update and ran the root process above. 

Guest thomasu383

I rooted it but when I turned it off and back on again it was stuck on a bootloop I put it recovery mode and factory reset it but I would go through the set up the screen and on to a black screen but the home button back button and the windows button was still there when I hold up the home button and swipe up I can go into google and when I swipe down from the top right you can get into the settingssettings do you now how to help

Edited by thomasu383

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sparkey159

Doesn't seem to work for me on the new Lollipop update. Takes me to Fastboot Mode but fails due to "OEM command not permitted".

Was worth a try though. :)

Guest RagingPolishMan

Thanks a bunch guys! I did have to change the ADB in device manager, but aside from that minor annoyance it was plane sailing. I thank you again, I had no idea it was possible to root this :3

Guest speakeasy

Followed the instructions and everything went as expected until the last part which states:

• "It should reboot your hudl back to normal and it will be rooted."

This however did not happen automatically. It just remained on the same screen it was on within recovery mode. I selected 'go back' using the volume down button then power button to select. At the top of this list of options it said something along the lines of 'select root fix' which I did. That took a few seconds to do its thing then when I again selected 'go back' it rebooted itself and was now rooted.

Not sure if anyone else experienced the same thing but thought I'd mention it in case anyone else gets stuck?

Same here.  Thanks for the tip - made me just that little bit less nervous in following this process.  Why nervous?  Because I soft bricked my device after unrooting & installing an OTA update (although Tesco customer service were great in repairing it).

Mucho kudos to @EananC for providing this method.

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't seem to work for me on the new Lollipop update. Takes me to Fastboot Mode but fails due to "OEM command not permitted".

Was worth a try though. :)

I get the same. I took a backup using CWM before the lollipop update and would really like to restore to it!

I tried a factory reset on Lollipop, but the device still comes back as being encrypted...

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been able to get this to work with the latest Android Lollipop 5 upgrade

Mine runs the " Normal Boot " then states  "RESULT: FAIL (OEM command not permitted ) "

• 4 months later...
Guest r00tmydevices

I have a fresh hudl 2 to root. During the initial set-up, once connected to wifi and it searches for updates, will I be forced into having Lollipop installed because obviously I won't then be able to root it?

Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sparkey159

EDIT: Made a silly mistake, Sorry!

I don't know if there is a way to bypass the setup without it previously being rooted.

Anyone know if you can use usb debugging to disable system apps without root? Google isn't coming up with anything...

Edited by Sparkey159

• 2 weeks later...
Guest r00tmydevices

Blimey, not only have Tesco pulled support for the hudl 2 but it almost seems most members here have also! Help, somebody. Please!  :(

• 5 months later...