Hudl 2 (rooted) and Paragon exFat, NTFS & HFS+ app?

Guest decpvr

Guest decpvr

I've just ordered a refurbed Hudl 2 and have seen the limitation of only being able to use Fat32 formatting with microSD cards.

Has anyone tried using the Paragon app mentioned in the topic title?

Here's a link for the app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.paragon.mounter

It would be nice if there's a workaround for the 4GB file limit with Fat32.

I know I would have to root my Hudl 2 to use this app and there's a good chance of (permanently) bricking it during this process.

It would be nice to know if anyone, who has already rooted their Hudl 2, has tried this app and if it works!

Guest CPN200

Just a point, I purchased 2 Sandisk 64GB cards for my wife and I's Hudl2s and after reformatting both using FAT32, they both work fine without any need to root and since I cannot envisage ever needing to save a file greater than 4GB in size on either of them, rooting is not so essential. You'd have to be talking a full length feature film in HD before you start thinking about breaking that limit and why would you need to do that with a tablet? For example, I currently have "Fast and Furious" (106 mins) and "Gravity" (90mins) saved onto my SD card downloaded from the Play store and both are taking up 2.7GB of space.

I don't get this obsession with rooting. Yes, I get that sometimes you want to get an Android device working the way you want (and not the way Tesco wants in this case) but if you can manage that by disabling as much as possible, then why the need? On both of ours, all of the Tesco apps have been disabled barring the one you can't (launcher) and Google Now has been setup as the default launcher on both. They both work fine like this and behave more like vanilla Android tablets also.

I have two old HTC phones (a basic Desire and a Desire S) that are both rooted for the simple reason of getting rid of HTC's bloatware and having a more "vanilla" Android experience similar to that which I enjoy on my Nexus 5 (and I have also never felt the need to root this either) so yes, I agree that sometimes with old and out of date devices, it can give them a new lease of life but why root a brand new device that works well without it?

If you don't like watching HQ bluray rips on your tablet, don't root. If you don't mind loads of spammy adverts embedded in the Web pages you visit, don't root.

Don't mind constant ads in YouTube, don't root.

Don't want to use emulators, different peripherals / controllers don't root.

If you are happy to be told how to use your device then don't root. Don't want to have the ability to speed your device up, conserve it's battery life, get rid of bloat, make it do cool things it was never meant to do then don't root.

I just bought a 32gb Nvidia shield tablet and the first thing I did when I charged it was to root it.

I don't understand why anyone with an android device wouldn't want it rooted, unless they are not very tech savvy, that I could understand.

Guest ViPaSoft

I rooted mine for one reason only, so that I could use 'FolderMount'.

The actual space available on these tablets is only about 9Gb.  I too have a 64Gb Card.  I have several games that use over 1Gb, (Bards tale actually uses about 3Gb), and because of the SD card limitations with out root, I'd only be able to have maybe two of these games installed.  As it stands with 'FolderMount', I have around 20Gb of games, installed and YES I do play everyone of them from time to time.  Why does the settings section have a 'move to SD card' when it only moves about 5-10% of the app info in most cases?

The only issue I've had since rooting, (and it may be a coincidence), is that the clock now loses time very rapidly, around 10 minutes an hour.  Not a massive issue to me as I don't rely on it at all, I just reset it once a day when I remember.

Guest decpvr

I just picked up my Hudl 2 yesterday, so I haven't got round to rooting it yet.

I'm glad to know the option is there with 'FolderMount' not to be restricted to 4GB file size limits.

I think I saw someone mentioning changing the NTP server settings (for time functions) once rooted. Maybe this would help with your issue?

Guest CPN200

If you don't like watching HQ bluray rips on your tablet, don't root. If you don't mind loads of spammy adverts embedded in the Web pages you visit, don't root.

Ad-blockers take care of those... root not required...

Don't mind constant ads in YouTube, don't root.

ditto the above... (mostly)

Don't want to use emulators, different peripherals / controllers don't root.

If you are happy to be told how to use your device then don't root.

Yes, I get that that puts some people's noses "out of joint" but if it works acceptably without rooting (which it does), why the need?

Don't want to have the ability to speed your device up, conserve it's battery life, get rid of bloat, make it do cool things it was never meant to do then don't root.

You obviously have different more pressing needs from me and that's fine!

I don't understand why anyone with an android device wouldn't want it rooted, unless they are not very tech savvy, that I could understand.

I'm fully tech savvy having spent 45+ years in the computer industry... It's just that right now I'm not prepared to jump through hoops wasting time on a device which works perfectly adequately without being a pain as it is! To be honest, there is a refreshingly low level of "bloatware" on the Hudl2 in any case compared to other devices I could name and most of that can be completely disabled if it bothers a person that much....

Guest CPN200

I rooted mine for one reason only, so that I could use 'FolderMount'.

Yes indeed, that IS a useful tool (not just for gaming)... Have used it myself.

The actual space available on these tablets is only about 9Gb.  I too have a 64Gb Card.  I have several games that use over 1Gb, (Bards tale actually uses about 3Gb), and because of the SD card limitations with out root, I'd only be able to have maybe two of these games installed.  As it stands with 'FolderMount', I have around 20Gb of games, installed and YES I do play everyone of them from time to time.

Point made (and taken).

Why does the settings section have a 'move to SD card' when it only moves about 5-10% of the app info in most cases?

I have asked that question of Android so many times.... The stub could be MUCH smaller in most cases...

The only issue I've had since rooting, (and it may be a coincidence), is that the clock now loses time very rapidly, around 10 minutes an hour.  Not a massive issue to me as I don't rely on it at all, I just reset it once a day when I remember.

You see! Now THAT would annoy the heck out of me! ;) We're all different... :D

Guest decpvr

I have rooted devices before, so I'm fairly familiar with the general process (although the specifics vary from device to device).

I'm not too bothered about rooting either way, it just depends on what functionality I'm after - in this case better usage of the space available on the microSD card.

I understand the full space is available without rooting, but for my usage a 4GB file limit is not ideal.

Either way I think there are advantages and disadvantages. Such as the clock drifting and some apps not working when rooted, or being able to move the full apps to the microSD and using other formatting options (exFAT etc).

Either way I didn't really want to start a debate on the merits of rooting or not rooting.

ViPaSoft - would you be able to test if the Paragon exFAT app works? I'm sure there's no reason why it shouldn't, as your device is rooted, but it would be reassuring to have it confirmed before I go through the process. Thanks.

Guest Steve1953

I used to be obsessed with blocking adverts. AdBlock on my laptop works fine for me. On my Hudl though it seems to be detrimental to the performance. Probably because it is more noticeable on the tablets processing power.

So I thought to myself why do I need it. On most websites the adverts are not that intrusive but on the few they are a pain. I now just avoid the websites that take the micky with adverts/popups.

The only thing that annoys me is the 'My Tesco' app that can't be disabled, otherwise I'm fine as it is.

By the way I notice reports of lollipop decreasing battery life so I can now chill out with my Hudl as it is.

Edited by Steve1953

Guest CPN200

Yes, I have been following the "lollipop decreasing battery life" with interest also on some XDA threads, particularly the ones related to the Nexus 5. I have to say that I have resisted the strong (cause it's so easy) temptation to root my N5 and I am glad I have because I simply haven't experienced all the battery life problems that some seem to have had with theirs...

Guest ViPaSoft

ViPaSoft - would you be able to test if the Paragon exFAT app works? I'm sure there's no reason why it shouldn't, as your device is rooted, but it would be reassuring to have it confirmed before I go through the process. Thanks.

Sorry decpvr, but I don't have a spare SD card to try it with and anyway, the last time I removed my SD card I had to re-install most of my apps as they lose cohesion for some reason.  

Also, I don't know how to use Paragon exFAT.

Is it possible for me to install it and test without needing to wipe my SD card.  If so, I'll gladly try for you.

If you want it just for the ability to place large video files on the SD card, couldn't you just split them into more than 1 part...

Guest decpvr

Sorry decpvr, but I don't have a spare SD card to try it with and anyway, the last time I removed my SD card I had to re-install most of my apps as they lose cohesion for some reason.

Also, I don't know how to use Paragon exFAT.

Is it possible for me to install it and test without needing to wipe my SD card. If so, I'll gladly try for you.

If you want it just for the ability to place large video files on the SD card, couldn't you just split them into more than 1 part...

I think your card would already need to be formatted as exFAT, NTFS or HFS+ to try the app (without re-formatting).

No worries. If you don't have a spare card, then it doesn't matter. Thanks anyway.

I may just try it out myself later this week and report back.

Splitting video files kind of defeats the purpose of having such a large SD card in the first place - I'd like to be able to transfer files with the minimum amount of fuss; not having to split, re-compress or alter the originals.

• 1 month later...
Guest kram23

Did anyone get NTFS or exFAT to work?

I just bought a 64GB sandisk micro sd card and was expecting it to work straight away. I had no idea that the Hudl 2 wouldn't read exFat and also wouldn't read my USB harddrive with NTFS, my old Gadmei E8HD can read NTFS just fine. Annoying!

Anyway a round up of peoples methods of getting NTFS and exFat to work could be useful for the forum

Thanks

Mark.

Guest decpvr

I did mean to update this post but kept forgetting. I managed to get my Hudl to read NTFS formatted SD cards/USB sticks through an OTG lead with Total Commander and the Paragon non root mounter plugin. I think if you want exFat support you will have to root your Hudl.

Guest kram23

I have installed both apps and I can access my USB hard drive. There are one or two problems though, I don't know if its the plug in or MXplayer or the two cant work together all the time.

I seem to be able to play my MKV full bluray rips but can not fast forward them and they only play in Software mode instead of Hardware. Im sure when I play them from my DNLA server using bubble upnp and MXPlayer they are using Hardware mode (I think).

Any other videos just wont play, even small video clips from my digital camera, they do play when on the Hudls internal memory card.

Guest decpvr

I think it's a limitation due to the workaround of non-root access. The app seems to internally stream the file to the playback app (like MX player) but this limits things like skipping and h/w acceleration.

Guest dennissingh99

I have rooted my Hudl 2, and if I use the paragon app with my extfat sd card, would I be able to install all of my apps onto it and not have any issues after reboots

Guest CPN200

I have NOT rooted my hudl 2 but instead reformatted my 64Gb SanDisk drive using fat32 and all my applications (that will allow of course) are on my card working flawlessly... (if it's any help)

Guest kram23

I have rooted my Hudl 2, and if I use the paragon app with my extfat sd card, would I be able to install all of my apps onto it and not have any issues after reboots

Think that I read that exFAT is not included with with the paragon app because belongs to microsoft in some way. It is only available commercially and not to us poor normal people.

But like CPN200 said you can reformat the card to FAT32 (with the 4GB file size limitation of FAT32) and that will probably be fine. I am going to try that later.

Edited by kram23
Adding more

Guest CPN200

I should add that I have at least 4 full length feature films (Fast & Furious, Gravity, Night at the Museum and Sherlock Holmes) currently saved to my micro SD card on the Hudl2 so that 4Gb size "limitation" has not affected me thus far... (they are all in what I call "TV Standard HD" which makes them all 1.6Gb in size on average)

Guest dennissingh99

Think that I read that exFAT is not included with with the paragon app because belongs to microsoft in some way. It is only available commercially and not to us poor normal people.

But like CPN200 said you can reformat the card to FAT32 (with the 4GB file size limitation of FAT32) and that will probably be fine. I am going to try that later.

Would that slow down the read/write speeds?