[HELP] Skinny v811 not working

Guest ubuntusuperuser

Guest ubuntusuperuser

Hello, I have a Skinny V811 phone and tried to install cyanogenMod 12.1 and have wiped my /system partition.

I followed the instructions from here and used that download.

my problem is that the rom (or any others I can find) wont install from the sdcard ("E:can't open [insert-rom-name-here].zip (bad)") or adb sideload ("Failed to write data 'protocol fault (no status)'") md5 hash's are correct.

the backups I made of the phone using clockwork mod are corrupted (md5 hashs not matching)

the stock roms found here dont work 

any help is appreciated.

thanks (sorry for bad grammar).

Guest KonstaT

Those problems would rather indicate corrupt sdcard. Have you tried using another sdcard?

BTW, could you upload boot.img and system partition backup from your CWM nandroid backup somewhere (those don't include any of your personal data)? There's no stock firmware available for Australian/New Zealand variants (Skinny V811, Optus Hop Smart, etc) and that could possibly help to determine if there's some hardware differences between these devices.

Guest ubuntusuperuser

Those problems would rather indicate corrupt sdcard. Have you tried using another sdcard?

BTW, could you upload boot.img and system partition backup from your CWM nandroid backup somewhere (those don't include any of your personal data)? There's no stock firmware available for Australian/New Zealand variants (Skinny V811, Optus Hop Smart, etc) and that could possibly help to determine if there's some hardware differences between these devices.

i have tried reformatting it the sdcard and did nothing (will try with another sdcard later today)

do you want my nandroid backup that is corrupted?

also a friend has the same phone so that sould help (what files do i need off his phone? because i don't want to install cwm on his)

Guest KonstaT

i have tried reformatting it the sdcard and did nothing (will try with another sdcard later today)

do you want my nandroid backup that is corrupted?

also a friend has the same phone so that sould help (what files do i need off his phone? because i don't want to install cwm on his)

See directory /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/year-date-time/ on your sdcard. It's boot.img and system.ext.tar.a I'd need. Those don't hold any personal data (don't share a backup of anyone's /data partition).

You could manually md5sum files on that directory and compare the checksums to what is listed in nandroid.md5 file in that dir. You could even edit that file and force restoring a corrupt backup. There's also an advanced restore option in CWM that allows you to only restore specific partition (e.g. /system if it's the only thing you wiped and the backup is not corrupt).

Guest ubuntusuperuser

You could manually md5sum files on that directory and compare the checksums to what is listed in nandroid.md5 file in that dir. You could even edit that file and force restoring a corrupt backup. There's also an advanced restore option in CWM that allows you to only restore specific partition (e.g. /system if it's the only thing you wiped and the backup is not corrupt).

yea i know about md5check sums and the nandroid.md5 file does not match and I have tried forcing it to restore (didn't work).

I am making a backup of a friends phone of the same model and will try and use that to restore, I will still upload them (were is the best place to upload the files? )

Guest KonstaT

I am making a backup of a friends phone of the same model and will try and use that to restore, I will still upload them (were is the best place to upload the files? )

Dropbox, Google Drive, MediaFire, whatever works for you. Doesn't necessarily have to stay there for long...

Guest ubuntusuperuser

retried installing cm 12.1 and it work (dont know what hapened the first time). its just now I cant change my wallpaper image

Guest KonstaT

Great, that's good news. Also thanks for the backup. :) I don't see Skinny V811 being any different than any of the other variants.

Long press on the homescreen and select wallpapers from the menu.

• 2 months later...
Guest S1NCORP

Yay i was able to get a backup from my friends phone and restore my phone with the stock rom.

here is a download (.zip with system.ext4.tar.a boot.img and nandroid.md5) link for anyone who wants it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9xCmZboHksNbUNJdDBmMlpaNk0/view?usp=sharing

How did you restore using this stock rom I have a friends ZTE v811 Skinny NZ phone that is stuck in a boot loop.  Tried to install the USB drivers for it but my computer wont detect the phone when in recovery mode.  Are you able to flash this zip straight from the stock recovery?

Guest KonstaT

How did you restore using this stock rom I have a friends ZTE v811 Skinny NZ phone that is stuck in a boot loop.  Tried to install the USB drivers for it but my computer wont detect the phone when in recovery mode.  Are you able to flash this zip straight from the stock recovery?

It's a ClockWorkMod backup so you need CWM to restore boot/system partitions from that backup. There's no factory images available for Australia/New Zealand ZTE device which is why asked to share that backup. There's nothing much but factory reset you can do in the stock recovery. What did your friend do to get the device into a boot loop?

Guest ReztaNZ

I hit the driver not being recognised also.. I also have a Skinny V811 NZ ZTE device, I noted the steps I did to get the bootloader driver working.

I customised a zte bootloader driver that will work for the phone in its bootloader state.

I'm running Windows 10 but this method works for Windows 8 to Windows 10.

1. Boot windows in 'driver signature enforcement disabled'.
  2. Download the driver: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_lNoSzfN_RcQ3dMNkFrNzBDRkU/view?usp=sharing
  3. Extract the downloaded driver
  4. plug the phone into the computer and boot into the bootloader via the ADB command.
  5. Then goto 'Device Manager' and select the device 'Android'.
  6. Choose to update the driver,
  7. "Browse my computer for driver software" then "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer"
  8. Select all devices
  9. click the 'have disk' button
  10. navigate to the extracted driver and select android_winusb
  11. Click the bootloader driver
  12. accept the unsigned driver warning
  13. let it install.
  14. Thats it.

The fastboot commands should now work. It did for me, I hope this helps