Update fails following Factory Reset

Guest lmulli

Guest lmulli

I couldn't get the latest update to install (downloaded several times and each time failed to install), and so I did a factory reset.  Unfortunately, the device won't let me get past the "Update Available" screen and the only option is to hit the Download button - it won't allow me to do anything else.  This then results in exactly the same situation in that the update downloads, the device reboots and the update fails.  Because I have done a factory reset it also appears to have disabled USB debugging, which now means that I am unable to access the device via USB (Adb + Fastboot) so I can't even try loading the rom image that way. (did try the OTA update posted elsewhere prior to all of this which also failed).

Also tried using the built in recovery to sideload the latest image which also failed.

Anyone know of a fix?  Ta.

Edited by lmulli

When you say the latest update always fails to install - what's the error message you get after the update has been download, then when the unit reboots and attempts to install the update?

It should display a reason where it stops trying to install on the update screen?

Guest lmulli

It comes back with the following message:

Finding update package...

Opening update package...

Verifying update package...

Installing update...

Verifying current system...

Verifying boot image...

assert failed: apply_patch_check("/tmp/boot.img". "8f451b1617e512ac78b7c791168782974a9fb08d". "9303.......(loads more characters)")

E: Error in /cache/update.zip

(Status 7)

E: Install of /cache/update.zip failed with status 1

Installation aborted.

E: Installation failed with status 1

Guest lmulli

Alas, USB debugging has disabled itself following the system reset so the only adb I can use is the limited one provided by the built in recovery

Alas, USB debugging has disabled itself following the system reset so the only adb I can use is the limited one provided by the built in recovery

Not necessarily  if you do a search for breaking out of the forced hudl2 initial setup process.

Guest robin0800

This is the Text From Normola's Post (396 jan25) In Pinned Thread

Well, after some fiddling I've managed to find a way around the forced update for a first time install.

1. First off, wipe the device from recovery.
  2. Boot up and select 'Add Network' from the wifi selection screen.
  3. Hold down the microphone key on the google keyboard and select the settings icon and select the settings icon.  This will show 'Input Options'.
  4. Select 'Google Keyboard Settings'
  5. Select 'About Google Keyboard'
  6. Select 'Open-source licences'
  7. Highlight some text with a long press then select 'WEB SEARCH' from the top right
  8. This will take you to the Google Now search page and show a not connected error.
  9. Type 'Settings' into the search box and select the settings page from the drop down.

From here you can enable developer mode, enable adb and fix any stupid changes to the system partition that you might have made (whoops :P )

There's probably a shorter route than this but I'm just pretty happy to have the chance to repair the damage :D

Guest lmulli

Thanks for the replies.  Have bypassed the update and managed to enable USB debugging and have installed the three rom images available in the main Hot to Root your Hudl 2 thread with exactly the same result - the images install no issues, however, the subsequent update always fails with exactly the same message as above for two of the images (the latest two), and a failure to even find the update for the earliest image.

Finally, having got really bored, I decided to boot using the TWRP recovery and wipe from that - possibly a bad move!! lol  The normal recovery is stil there, however, trying to get in to the bootloader no longer works - device says Fastboot Starting and that's as far as it gets! (Flashable update.zip file anyone!!)

It can go back on the shelf as I've spent enough time on it for now - just glad that I don't really use the device for anything and have a couple of others that I do use (Nexus 9 & 7).

Thanks for the assistance anyway, appreciated.

Edited by lmulli