Other chargers = safe?

Guest Maxxo

Hello

I've been measuring the charging current with the original charger and other ones I still have.

The original charger only charges with about 300mA, whereas I can get up to 1200mA with my blackberry charger. It's just much quicker, but the question is if it will damage the battery?

You can get the app on the play store https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gombosdev.ampere&hl=de

maxxo

Guest ovecka

It will not. The current drained is not decided by the charger but the phone itself. If the charger maximum ouput current is low, the phone will charge slower (even the slowest phone chargers can supply a 0,5 A output nowadays and only a bad cable can reduce that significantly), if it is high, the phone will simply take what it requires . It is perfectly safe to use a different charger designed for any phone.

Guest Frankish

Let's play nice and keep things on topic.

Thread starter. Your answer is no under normal circumstances it will not do any damage to your battery.

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

My academic degree is in physics, electronics and  computers but I fail to find a difference between your statement and mine. :)

It's the phone (and by a lesser extent the cable) that's creating resistance in the circuit therefore the phone decides using Ohm's law. If you charge through USB, the phone recognizes that (states USB charging) and charges at USB standard's 0.5 A (USB 2.0 that is) if you plug the charger to a wall outlet (the charger "handles" the data pins differently) it will take the maximum it needs (and the charger is capable of delivering).

Ah, I see what you meant, now. You mean there's active logic inside which switches between low current and high current charging modes (is this what you mean?); right, yes indeed. If the phone is connected to a charger (2 connected USB pins), it could indeed present itself as a higher current load, as opposed to when it's told its on a USB bus (4 pins connected) and to keep the current of ~500mA or less.

Guest ovecka

Ah, I see what you meant, now. You mean there's active logic inside which switches between low current and high current charging modes (is this what you mean?); right, yes indeed. If the phone is connected to a charger (2 connected USB pins), it could indeed present itself as a higher current load, as opposed to when it's told its on a USB bus (4 pins connected) and to keep the current of ~500mA or less.

Yes and no. I also meant that, using the very same charger and cable, different phones can charge at different amperage levels depending on their electronics (resistance) and that it is absolutely fine. The only problem could be the overheating of a very bad (or partially broken) charger operating at it's maximum for a long time.

English is not my native language so I might misinterpret my thoughts. Sorry about that.