Trying my best to get an answer from Vodafone!

Guest Lukas4477

Guest Lukas4477

So, been emailing voda for a few days now asking about android 5.1. 

The first person who replied said he could not give a specific date on when the update will arrive. 

The second said it is meant to come with 5.1 pre loaded and that I should check for an update if it does not have 5.1. 

Still nothing!

I will get an answer one way. I'll keep you posted. 

Screenshot_2015-09-01-13-49-15.png

Guest Lukas4477

I've also made a complaint about the false advertisement and misleading information provided by Vodafone on the website. (About the 5.1) 

Wasn't aware it said quick charge on the box, that's another thing I'll stick into the next email haha. 

I've said that one of the main sale points on the device was the android 5.1, despite the cheap price for what specs it has the 5.1 sold it for me. (Maybe not everyone)

I hated 5.0 I still do! 

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

It doesn't come with quick charge enabled either, despite it saying so on the box. 

Thanks for nagging them! 

I can't imagine Qualcomm would post this unless it were true:

https://www.qualcomm.com/news/onq/2013/02/14/qualcomm-quick-charge-10-less-time-charging-more-time-doing

(Hint: Smart Ultra 6 is listed there).

Edited by macbreakweeklyfan

Guest KonstaT

Stock firmware doesn't ship hvdcp (High Voltage Dedicated Charging Port) daemon so it quite certainly doesn't have quick charge enabled (even though the hardware is likely capable).

Once you're complaining, you might also want to point out that device comes with SELinux left in permissive mode which is a major security threat. AFAIK such builds should not even pass Google's CTS (Compatibilty Test Suite) which determines if a device can ship with GMS (Google Mobile Services aka Google apps). No idea how ZTE/Vodafone have gotten around that. :o

Edited by KonstaT

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Personally, I couldn't give a hoot about fast charging; how much of a rush do I need to be in? It's well known that batteries that are charged faster and more aggressively, tend to have a lower lifespan and the resultant charge, per cycle, will likely offer less capacity per cycle than if it was charged "slowly" (which, let's face it, is FAR from being actually SLOW).

Meh. Does the job well. If you want it charged and to last the day, do it at night like a sensible person would, and spend less time on your phone, and more time enjoying REAL LIFE. ;)

Guest KonstaT

This prompts the question: can we install the HVDC daemon, then? For that, I'd happily root.

You could maybe grab one from a similar device (msm8939/msm8916 with a 32-bit build). You'd need to copy it as /system/bin/hvdcp (set permissions to make it executable) and also set 'persist.usb.hvdcp.detect=true' property. Necessary services are there on the kernel ramdisk, it's only the excutable binary that's missing. Probably need a Quick Charge 2.0 compatible charger to test too.

Guest Lukas4477

Well, they are stubborn. 

Still won't give me anything on 5.1,  I'm not giving up yet haha. 

I have two smart ultras, one on payg, 1 on contract for the missus. 

So far they have offered to reset the commitment on the contract and send the phone back and choose another. (Even though its well over the 14 days)

Might take them up on that offer. 

Guest Lukas4477

I was only joking about me taking the offer, its not good enough. 

By them saying that, they are taking the easy option out. 

I'll battle for 5.1. 

Thanks. 

Guest NegativeOne

Even without root you can remove them.. Only 2 can't be removed.. Deactivated them. Easy.

At the moment, they could make them all like the file manager. Undisableable. If that's a word!

Edited by NegativeOne