New update Sept 15

Guest Flashingblade

Guest Steve1953

i've no idea how you lot are turning off the password unlock aspect.  As that COMPLETELY negates the point in encryption! lol.   

FWIW i have pattern pin and password as options, the swipe one is greyed out saying that its disabled by administrator, encryption policy or credential storage. And to be fair this has always been the way on every Android device I have ever had that I have encrypted.... it is a no-brainer (see my first sentence).

And to remove encryption you have to basically factory reset (thats the way it has always been on Android)  Although I've no idea if the hudl will force you to re-encrypt it after it has done that.  I'm assuming it will but i am not in a position to be able to test that.

just to confirm that you can specify no password, I agree it negates encryption but for those of us who don't need it it is more convenient

I did a factory reset and it encrypts again ! - no way round it I'm afraid

Guest dennissingh99
just to confirm that you can specify no password, I agree it negates encryption but for those of us who don't need it it is more convenient

I did a factory reset and it encrypts again ! - no way round it I'm afraid

The reason that you cannot get around the encryption with a factory reset because the encryption setting has been slipstreamed into the system settings itself and is a default setting so the only way to get around it is to be able to boot off a modified boot.img which has the setting changed to disable encryption. Tesco has created a new problem for us to solve!

Why Tesco as the OEM in Google terms has enforced encryption on us I don't know - even Google themselves backed away from their original plans of enforcing mandatory encryption with any Lollipop builds - instead allowing the OEM to make the decision as to whether or not to encrypt.

That being said, is anyone sure which parts have been encrypted? 

There's a big difference here, it's either the 'whole disk' or just the 'data partition' - if it's just the data partition that's no so bad is it?

I'd be inclined to think that it's just the data partition that's been encrypted as if it was the whole disk/internal storage, that would then add in extra complications for Tesco 'IF' it was to issue any future OTA updates as would it not have to configure into the OTA update process, decrypt/update/encrypt or am I missing something here? 

This also means before Tesco ever walk away from hudl2 we really need methods of unlocking the device and have the ability of decrypting it.

Edited by Guest

Yes you are. Encryption doesn't just apply to this build for the Hudl 2. It applies to ALL builds of Android Lollipop from v5.0 onwards for ALL devices and not just the Hudl 2. It isn't Tesco that mandated encryption, it was Google...

Yes you are. Encryption doesn't just apply to this build for the Hudl 2. It applies to ALL builds of Android Lollipop from v5.0 onwards for ALL devices and not just the Hudl 2. It isn't Tesco that mandated encryption, it was Google...

I don't think that's fully true - it was Googles initial intent but not what they do now - they've backed encryption off to the OEM to choose - they now only mandate the device is 'capable' of being encrypted from what I've read here and in other places.

Edited by Guest

It may not be what they do NOW but it is what they did when v5.0 was first released; even to all the Nexus devices. My Nexus 5 (sim free - supplied by Google) got encrypted (no choice) with the first OTA update of v5.0 and it wasn't until v5.1 came along when the mandate was relaxed... (and I then was able to decrypt) There were some minor ota updates in between but these still enforced the encryption...

Guest stevoknevo

Got the prompt this afternoon, don't think I'll bother with it just yet. I only use it for surfing, news, BT Sport/iplayer/netflix and it's rock solid for all of that - I must be getting old as I'm usually baw deep in to new updates, but happy with the way it functions currently (improved battery life could change my mind though)

It may not be what they do NOW but it is what they did when v5.0 was first released; even to all the Nexus devices. My Nexus 5 (sim free - supplied by Google) got encrypted (no choice) with the first OTA update of v5.0 and it wasn't until v5.1 came along when the mandate was relaxed... (and I then was able to decrypt) There were some minor ota updates in between but these still enforced the encryption...

So in the end it seems we both agree that Tesco does have the option of not enforcing encryption on the end user or could of allowed the end user to have the ability to disable encryption (even if that would require the end user to factory reset - Yes I know this is not currently allowed but it could have been)?

Edited by Guest

can somebody post the 1gb update file?

I have both Lollipop OTA files (the smaller prep and the larger image flash file) as I re-rooted after the prep OTA to ensure I could capture the larger file.

hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150529.110309_to_rel.android-build.20150803.092218.zip     size: 4,129KB

hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150803.092218_to_rel.android-build.20150917.142239.zip     size: 1,055,238KB

Due to some problems I've had in the past (over allowed bandwidth usage restrictions with different online storage accounts) I'll ask Paul if he's willing to host the file on a MoDaCo server and I'll upload to that if allowed.

Guest dmw2010

I have both files to I captured them yesterday but as a warning DO NOT apply large update via tethered recovery, it WILL brick your hudl2 that's the reason I didn't share the large file yesterday incase someone tried to install it, ive bricked 2 and all you end up with is a locked bootloader, it comes up "powered by android" for about 20 seconds and resets and repeats this about 10 times then comes up with the bootloader where you can choose reboo,t recovery and shutdown but only bootloader works. you cant flash or update from this state asadb flash and update commands are locked it just says something like "e: no valid install media found"

it would be nice if someone figures a fix for that but ive tried allsorts with no luck

you have been warned

Guest raxiel_

With respect, I think you're misremembering, I have the Nexus 5 and it definitely wasn't encrypted as part of the 5.0 upgrade (Via OTA - 5th paragraph).

My N5 is encrypted now, but only because I did it manually once 5.1 was released, and the encryption started using the NEON instructions to significantly improve performance (although there was still a hit compared to unencyrpted).

NEON is an ARM instruction set, so it presumably doesn't have an effect on the Intel based Hudl 2, but I certainly can't detect any slowdown in general use. My In-laws have a Hudl 2 still on 4.4.2 that they've decided to leave for me to update, so I suppose I could run Andro-bench on theirs and mine to confirm.

I'm pretty happy with 5.1 on my Hudl. 5.0 was a mess, and put a lot of users off Lollipop, so I don't blame Tesco for delaying the update, even if it was 6 months.

Only problem now is that we have the better SD support and it's worth me replacing the 32gb sandisk card I bought with the tablet, I'm back to dealing with the 'SD Card Removed' bug 

Guest Steve1953

Only problem now is that we have the better SD support and it's worth me replacing the 32gb sandisk card I bought with the tablet, I'm back to dealing with the 'SD Card Removed' bug 

I didn't know about that bug , maybe that's fixed now.

Guest speakeasy

Interesting - my N5 (also bought from Google) is not and has never been encrypted.

Edited by speakeasy

Guest DynaMight

I don't think they ever forced encryption on the nexus 5, they do on the nexus 6 though. 

Anyway I've been using lollipop on the hudl for a day or so now and think the speed is pretty good. Feels faster than kitkat. I'm happy with the upgrade. 

Guest thefunkygibbon

... And by the way, your assertion in message #228 is wrong. This applied to all of Google's Nexus devices when they were updated to Lollipop. It wasn't an option.

sorry but your asesertation is wrong.  Google were going to encrypt by default but ended up only being on n6 and n9 when they first came . They also quickly backpedaled given the backlash from doing so and also didn't do it for any other nexus devices or mandate it in android in general (for other oems) for the same reasons. 

I have both Lollipop OTA files (the smaller prep and the larger image flash file) as I re-rooted after the prep OTA to ensure I could capture the larger file.

hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150529.110309_to_rel.android-build.20150803.092218.zip     size: 4,129KB

hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150803.092218_to_rel.android-build.20150917.142239.zip     size: 1,055,238KB

Files now uploaded and mirrored by Paul and can be found here

Guest raxiel_

I didn't know about that bug , maybe that's fixed now.

Unfortunately it's not.

When the hudl goes into sleep mode it looses the SD card and only a restart will bring it back. Some people have claimed its a fault in Sandisk cards, others that it's the tablet. I plan on trying a Samsung card to see if it makes a difference.

Edited by raxiel_
Grammar

Guest Steve1953

Unfortunately it's not.

When the hudl goes into sleep mode it looses the SD card and only a restart will bring it back. Some people have claimed its a fault in Sandisk cards, others that it's the tablet. I plan on trying a Samsung card to see if it makes a difference.

Bugger, thanks for the heads up. If anyones got a couple of different cards maybe they could do a definative test for the community.

I've used a SanDisk Ultra 32GB (10)HCI card since day 1 with my hudl2 and have never found any issues with accessing it - my unit is always going into sleep states for long times.

Guest raxiel_

Bugger, thanks for the heads up. If anyones got a couple of different cards maybe they could do a definative test for the community.

I don't think its common, don't worry about it unless you actually encounter it.

I've used a SanDisk Ultra 32GB (10)HCI card since day 1 with my hudl2 and have never found any issues with accessing it - my unit is always going into sleep states for long times.

That's been exactly my experience also from day 1 of my hudl2. The only difference is that mine is the 64Gb version of the same mfctr's card...

This is the first Android device I have that even has an SD slot, so I've not a lot of experience with them, but from what I've seen I think the issue is with the cards rather than the tablet, (and even then, not all of them).

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/Mobile-memory-professional-cards/32GB-Class-10-Micro-SD-card-unexpectedly-removed-in-Android/td-p/292793 

When I first looked into it back in the days of Kitkatt, someone on a forum said that Tesco had acknowledged the issue and pushed a fix, but I can't find it now.

hmm, thinking about it I do have an old 2gb card from an ancient nokia lying around, could leave that in the hudl overnight and see what happens, could at least rule out one or the other.

Edit: Looks like my Sandisk 32gb card was dud, both the old 2gb and a new 32gb Samsung worked without being 'unexpectedly removed', now to look into Sandisk's warranty...

Edited by raxiel_

Guest speakeasy

What he ^ said.

Please

Pretty please

Pretty please with a cherry on top.

OK, so you have other fish to fry; I will be suitably grateful when a solution is posted.