Getting AdAway working

Guest stringy2010

Guest nhmanas
I've try AdAway, AdBlockPlus, Lucky Patcher adblocker, L_SPEED AdBlocker when i had root and nothing worked.. Terraclicks.com ads always opening when i acess android games site..

Unrooted phone and etc.. Tried NoChromo and terraclicks still opens.. That ad is so annoying.. Only that crap ad opens..

Interesting... I have no ads on nochromo

• 6 months later...
Guest arther
On 2/10/2015 at 10:26 PM, PabUK said:

I had the exact same problem on mine. Using the ZIP from XDA everything looked good (hosts symlink appeared to be present, AdAway was working) but ads were still not blocked. In the end I ran the uninstall script and did the actions manually through ADB (delete system/etc/hosts, create symlink to data/data/hosts) and now it is definitely working. Not sure why the automated way didn't work because it does basically the same thing.

On 5/10/2015 at 2:17 PM, PabUK said:

Assuming you have TWRP installed and a working ADB setup:

- Boot into TWRP
- Mount the System partition
- Connect phone to PC, open command prompt and run "adb shell"
- Enter these commands: "cd /system/etc", "rm hosts" & finally "ln -s /data/data/hosts hosts"
- Reboot, make sure AdAway is still happy and then check for ads

Obviously AdAway needs to be set to use /data/data/hosts for the above to work, and it's a good idea to check it is still working as well. I also made sure that the hosts file was definitely deleted before running the final ADB command, by looking in the TWRP file manager.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but neither the OP's solution nor yours is working with the phone. Apologies if the answer is glaringly obvious but how exactly do you run an uninstall script and where? Also, what symptoms would the "/data/data/hosts" target file display, if it wasn't working?

Edited by arther

• 3 weeks later...
Guest arther
On 2/5/2016 at 4:40 PM, arther said:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but neither the OP's solution nor yours is working with the phone. Apologies if the answer is glaringly obvious but how exactly do you run an uninstall script and where? Also, what symptoms would the "/data/data/hosts" target file display, if it wasn't working?

Any suggestions anybody?

Guest lmod
19 hours ago, arther said:

Any suggestions anybody?

My AdAway wasn't working either but the adb method seems to have fixed it.

• Open AdAway and set target to data/data/hosts and then run the update/merge. It should complain about a symlink missing, hit No/Cancel
  • Make sure USB debugging is turned on in settings (not sure if optional step)
  • Reboot into recovery
  • Mount System (in TWRP that's Mount>Tick System)
  • Open command prompt/terminal and run:
cd /system/etc
rm hosts
ln -s /data/data/hosts hosts
  • Reboot and check if ads are blocked

If this still doesn;t work, you can try MOAB which is a simple flashable hosts file or MinMinGuard which uses Xposed and hooks into processes instead of a hosts file