Anyone else experiencing blue flashes on screen after a while during video playback. On YouTube.

Guest CompuTechish

Guest CompuTechish

Hi, I seem to occasional blue flashes whilst watching a video in the YouTube app in landscape mode (i.e. Full screen).

I did a quick search to find any similar options and the best suggestions I could find seemed bizarre.

They were something like the following:

1. Disable adaptive brightness.

2. Disable hardware overlays in developer options.

I turned off adaptive brightness for a few seconds but decided to turn it back on. I don't think I have experienced the issue since then but then again it could come back. It did only happen randomly and occasionally.

UPDATE: Without trying to fix it I managed to replicate this effect but only happens sometimes in the YouTube app when switching portrait to landscape when rotating the phone.

Edited by CompuTechish

Guest marsx1984

It happened to me and I found an easy fix by googling:

1. Go to settings > about phone
  2. Click “build number” 6 times fast
  3. You’ll see “you’re now a developer” as a notification at the bottom.
  4. Go back to settings, you’ll now see developer options above ‘about phone’.
  5. Go in developer options, and click “disable hardware overlays” under the drawing section

So now I have disabled that option and all is fine. For me the blue flickering was in the imdb app also when I watched movie traillers.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CompuTechish

Just realisedrealised the disabling HW layers is unchecked when rebooting. So have to remember to check it. I think it does prevent the blue flashes when on though.

Just realisedrealised the disabling HW layers is unchecked when rebooting. So have to remember to check it. I think it does prevent the blue flashes when on though.

Does your phone also repeat words when typing? I get that as well.

Guest BlueMoonRising

Maybe in chrome, I haven't really typed on any other site recently but I think it's in chrome. I am using Google Keyboard though.

I gave up on Chrome mobile, it constantly messed up on Neverwinter Gateway. I've swapped to Opera for now, seems smoother.

Guest CompuTechish

I gave up on Chrome mobile, it constantly messed up on Neverwinter Gateway. I've swapped to Opera for now, seems smoother.

I'm use to Chrome so I'll stick with it. I think I have tried Opera though. I usually just browse and don't type much on websites - which is really where this problem seems to arise. What keyboard are you using?

Edited by CompuTechish

Guest BlueMoonRising

I'm use to Chrome so I'll stick with it. I think I have tried Opera though. I usually just browse and don't type much on websites - which is really where this problem seems to arise. What keyboard are you using?

Swype, by far the best option for myself.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CompuTechish

I contacted Vodafone about this issue and they advised me to go to the store I purchased this device so they could as the person put it "update the glich" or sothing along those lines. I haven't experienced this issue in a while but it returned today. I havn't gone to the store though.

Had it the first time this morning. Don't normally use YouTube much but learning about building rbas for vaping and it happened very hideous and the weird thing is I saw this post yesterday for the first time then it happened been watching YouTube loads last couple of weeks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CompuTechish

Aarrgh...

I need to do something about these blue flashes. They go and come back when ever they feel like it. I may have to go to the store. At the same time I can't be bothered.

• 9 months later...
Guest CompuTechish

UPDATE: I no longer get these flashes so I guess it is FIXED in some update. Confirmation on if it is resolved from others who experienced this would be nice.

• 9 months later...
Guest Wadepg

On my Galaxy Tab A I was experienceing the same issue.  Tried all the suggested fixes with no effect. I figured that it may be the screen saver I had enabled.  I turned it off and for now the blue flashes in the center of the screen have ceased. Fingers crossed!  

• 1 month later...
Guest Textman

Happens rarely, though when I was on a plane ride it was happening very frequently. I don't know what causes it, but after having the phone for a year and a half, I don't think it's anything severe.