[DEV][ROM][23.1.] Sailfish OS for ZTE Open C / Kis 3

Guest KonstaT

Guest KonstaT
48 minutes ago, Primmu said:

Dear konstaT

If its use os install saifish cyanogenmod 11 can not? its a matter of if using 12.1 cyanogemod his sim card not to read

No, you need to use the exact CM12.1 build posted in the OP. No plans on making Sailfish based on KitKat though that would be possible. AFAIK Sailfish OS is also still missing UI for dual-SIM feature so it wouldn't help much even if it was working on Android side.

Guest Piece_Maker

Not sure if this is a bug or whatever, but I've been using this setup full-time since my last post regarding getting more /data space, and I've noticed that a lot of the time my phone only displays 2G next to the WiFi signal icon. I can usually get 3G fairly easily (though I'm not even sure if the Open C supports 4, I'm fairly happy with 3 as I don't really use the web much and tend to just use the Messaging app outside my house). It's not a huge deal but one I'm curious about. 

Also (Maybe vaguely related?) I do have to restart the connman service every now and then for mobile internet to even work - sometimes I'll flick it off WiFi and onto 2/3G and it'll not connect at all (The glowing button will just flash on and off then stop at off) until I restart connman. Again, a simple enough workaround and not a huge deal but something I've noticed every now and then. 

Aside from that - SailfishOS is awesome, and this build came at just the right time - FirefoxOS is going downhill and I like having my phone alive!

Guest KonstaT
15 hours ago, Piece_Maker said:

Not sure if this is a bug or whatever, but I've been using this setup full-time since my last post regarding getting more /data space, and I've noticed that a lot of the time my phone only displays 2G next to the WiFi signal icon. I can usually get 3G fairly easily (though I'm not even sure if the Open C supports 4, I'm fairly happy with 3 as I don't really use the web much and tend to just use the Messaging app outside my house). It's not a huge deal but one I'm curious about. 

Also (Maybe vaguely related?) I do have to restart the connman service every now and then for mobile internet to even work - sometimes I'll flick it off WiFi and onto 2/3G and it'll not connect at all (The glowing button will just flash on and off then stop at off) until I restart connman. Again, a simple enough workaround and not a huge deal but something I've noticed every now and then. 

Aside from that - SailfishOS is awesome, and this build came at just the right time - FirefoxOS is going downhill and I like having my phone alive!

Yeah, it's very possible that there's still various issues with telephony. There's network mode option in setting but I can't recall what the options are. Maybe you can force it to use 3G only? This device doesn't support 4G networks. IIRC there's some issues with mobile data on OnePlus One port ('fix' was to restart conmann or statefs, can't find the post atm) and it's said to be somewhat unreliable on Fairphone 2, too. If/when there's another build, it will have some ofono updates again.

BTW, have you tested if wifi tethering works? I tested it with the 1.1.9.28 build and it was working. Not sure if I tested it with the latest build (I'd add the info to https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris and this would save me a flash).

You're very brave to use this as daily driver (well, I could say the same thing about Firefox OS). I had this installed for about a week before moving on to other projects (this isn't my daily driver device, though). It didn't crash and burn which is always positive. :P Good to hear experience hasn't been too bad for you either. :)

Guest Piece_Maker
On 11/02/2016 at 2:41 PM, KonstaT said:

Yeah, it's very possible that there's still various issues with telephony. There's network mode option in setting but I can't recall what the options are. Maybe you can force it to use 3G only? This device doesn't support 4G networks. IIRC there's some issues with mobile data on OnePlus One port ('fix' was to restart conmann or statefs, can't find the post atm) and it's said to be somewhat unreliable on Fairphone 2, too. If/when there's another build, it will have some ofono updates again.

BTW, have you tested if wifi tethering works? I tested it with the 1.1.9.28 build and it was working. Not sure if I tested it with the latest build (I'd add the info to https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptations/libhybris and this would save me a flash).

You're very brave to use this as daily driver (well, I could say the same thing about Firefox OS). I had this installed for about a week before moving on to other projects (this isn't my daily driver device, though). It didn't crash and burn which is always positive. :P Good to hear experience hasn't been too bad for you either. :)

Tethering works just fine - it's a bit flaky but I think that's just my network coupled with the ancient Android tablet I tethered to it (I couldn't be bothered testing it with a real computer).

Restarting connman does fix the 3/2G thing - and also for whatever reason it was set in settings to be '2G-only' which when I switched it to preferring 3G required the connman restart for it to start working again. 

My phone usage is fairly minimal so I'm pretty happy to run whatever I want on it - I ran nightlies of FirefoxOS, it's not like I'll be out of work if it dies on me (If that were the case, would I be running a £40 phone at all?) and though I've had the whitescreen bootloop issue a couple of times it takes all of half an hour to get my phone back up the way it was using a bit of script magic to reinstall all my apps (Plus I have the Accounts backup to external SD card) :D Totally worth it for a relatively unique and FAR more powerful OS than the default.

• 1 month later...
Guest velpeau

Congratulations KonstaT for this second build !

After 2 months of testing, and basic use (I have owned "real" Jolla over a year but it was stolen), I can say that this alpha is almost stable and makes the Open-C a nice device.
I use the French model, is it possible to activate the proximity sensor to test ?

Edited by velpeau

Guest KonstaT
7 hours ago, velpeau said:

Congratulations KonstaT for this second build !

After 2 months of testing, and basic use (I have owned "real" Jolla over a year but it was stolen), I can say that this alpha is almost stable and makes the Open-C a nice device.
I use the French model, is it possible to activate the proximity sensor to test ?

Good to hear. :)

I did this to disable it. You would need to revert those changes in Sailfish OS rootfs (ignore 'sparse' on file paths - it's /etc and so on). You can use Messwerk app to test if you get a proper reading from proximity sensor.

Guest velpeau
On 23/03/2016 at 5:50 PM, KonstaT said:

I did this to disable it. You would need to revert those changes in Sailfish OS rootfs (ignore 'sparse' on file paths - it's /etc and so on)

Unfortunately, I do not have the basic knowledge to compile a rootfs, so I'll be patient and continue to hold the screen away from my cheek during a call :D

Guest KonstaT
40 minutes ago, velpeau said:

Unfortunately, I do not have the basic knowledge to compile a rootfs, so I'll be patient and continue to hold the screen away from my cheek during a call :D

No, you don't need to compile anything. You just need some very basic command line skills and/or text editor (e.g. nano is included in my build). You can do this in terminal app or ssh to your device. Just remove /etc/mce/20no-proxim.conf, add one line to /etc/sensorfw/sensord-hybris.conf, and reboot your device.

I meant that path when you've booted to Sailfish OS. It is actually /data/.stowaways/sailfishos/ on device (if you want to do this in recovery).

Guest velpeau
2 hours ago, KonstaT said:

Just remove /etc/mce/20no-proxim.conf, add one line to /etc/sensorfw/sensord-hybris.conf, and reboot your device.

Okay, just removed /etc/mce/20no-proxim.conf and added "-proximityadaptor = hybrisproximityadaptor" line in /etc/sensorfw/sensord-hybris.conf via terminal with nano with root privileges, and reboot.

Sadly, the proximity sensor is still not detected in Messwerk, and touch sensor is still active during calls close to ear and cheek.

Edited by velpeau

Guest KonstaT
57 minutes ago, velpeau said:

Okay, just removed /etc/mce/20no-proxim.conf and added "-proximityadaptor = hybrisproximityadaptor" line in /etc/sensorfw/sensord-hybris.conf via terminal with nano with root privileges, and reboot.

Sadly, the proximity sensor is still not detected in Messwerk, and touch sensor is still active during calls close to ear and cheek.

It's 'proximityadaptor = hybrisproximityadaptor' without the prepending minus.

'-' in front of the line (and red color) means something that was removed. '+' (and green color) means something that was added.

Edited by KonstaT

Guest velpeau
13 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

It's 'proximityadaptor = hybrisproximityadaptor' without the trailing minus. '-' in front of the line (and red color) means something that was removed. + (and green color) means something that was added.

Looks like a beginner's mistake (thanks for your patience). Nothing has changed after applying the correct syntax an rebooted.

Guest KonstaT
8 hours ago, velpeau said:

Looks like a beginner's mistake (thanks for your patience). Nothing has changed after applying the correct syntax an rebooted.

OK, thanks for testing. I think someone said it wasn't working in the previous release either and some other devices also have issues with proximity in Sailfish OS.

It should still change things a little (for the worse ;)). Display turns off when you start a phone call and you need to wait for the other end to end the call (it's not responding to power button anymore).

Edited by KonstaT

Guest velpeau
55 minutes ago, KonstaT said:

It should still change things a little (for the worse ;)). Display turns off when you start a phone call and you need to wait for the other end to end the call (it's not responding to power button anymore).

Yes, that's exactly what happens. It's impossible to turn the screen by the power switch, but I was able after about 2 minutes, before hanging up.
I'm going to revert changes now. Big thanks for your help, KonstaT.

Guest rafaelweed

Is there any way possible to make android apps compatible with the sailfish os rom. When i booted the rom for the first time it says that the sailfish os is getting it but it ends in a kind of a bootloop and if i click "next" i won't get that compatibility, what i do??

Guest KonstaT
8 hours ago, rafaelweed said:

Is there any way possible to make android apps compatible with the sailfish os rom. When i booted the rom for the first time it says that the sailfish os is getting it but it ends in a kind of a bootloop and if i click "next" i won't get that compatibility, what i do??

No, Alien Dalvik is proprietary feature that is not available on community ports. sfdroid is the community effort to run Android (and Android apps) inside Sailfish OS. Feel free to contribute.

IMO it's native apps that Sailfish OS needs. If I wanted Android apps, I'd just use Android.

• 2 months later...
Guest KonstaT
10 hours ago, Verändert said:

Thanks for this. Only problem i have is that i'm unable to get sound output via headphones.

On 10/1/2015 at 6:00 PM, KonstaT said:
  • Headphones (run 'systemctl restart ohmd.service' as root after each reboot)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dreadbit

Hello.

I have some notes about boot process errors (failure to boot in several [well, most] cases).

As it was noted, it depends of the weather on Mars. And I noted that we still can affect at least the wind on Mars ;-)

When the phone gets into continious "unable to start and reboot", connect it to computer (in my case, Linux), and it will attempt to start, but will be unable to boot, too, but after you disconnect it, get the battery off, the phone boots in most cases!

Sort of mystic, but it sometimes helps me.

Edited by dreadbit

• 2 months later...
Guest Superluk

Hi, I've just found this mod, as Mozilla yesterday shut down b2gos project, I'll install Jolla in next days.

Meanwhile, @KonstaT may I now if the project is still in development? And, if yes, if you're making some progress on missing features?

Thank you for your work!

Luca

Guest KonstaT
On 9/29/2016 at 6:06 PM, Superluk said:

Hi, I've just found this mod, as Mozilla yesterday shut down b2gos project, I'll install Jolla in next days.

Meanwhile, @KonstaT may I now if the project is still in development? And, if yes, if you're making some progress on missing features?

Thank you for your work!

Luca

Yesterday? I thought it happened almost a year ago. :o

It's not in active development. I still have the sources laying around on my HDD if I want to revisit this sometime. There really hasn't been much going with Sailfish OS anyway. 2.0.2.51 was just released to public few weeks ago. What missing features? I've heard there's an FM app now so I'll surely include that if/when there's another release.