Battery use after 5.1 update

Guest Peter Roe

Guest Peter Roe

My hudl2 updated to 5.1 a week ago. All seemed to go automagicallyautomagically fine - apps updated etc. But battery life has really suffered since - on standby it goes from 100 to 30% overnight. No apps are running, Bluetooth and location are off. 

Anybody else having this problem? Is there a fix?

Guest pudpoh

Yep this happened to me, thought everything was fine for a couple of weeks and then enormous battery drain started. Tried to fix it and track it down but couldn't, hate to say this but I think the only fix for this is a factory reset which is what I did and mine is now better then ever. In fact I would highly recommend anybody who has upgraded to factory reset if you don't want a load of grief afterwards, lollipop is just too different for an upgrade to work successfully. 

Factory reset isn't that painful, move any data you wish to keep from internal storage, photos, music, videos and documents to your sd card if you have one. If you don't you will have to copy them off with a pc. Do not backup any of your apps and try to restore them afterwards you will cause yourself even more grief. When you factory reset make sure the box isn't ticked to erase your sd card. When you login to your Google account your apps will be restored from your Google account if you have it set to backup to it. You can pick and choose what you want to restore at this point. It does take a while but once it has done it your tablet should be working better than ever.

Guest crusader58

Although I don't have Lollipop (nor will I as I think it sucks), I think the battery drain you are experiencing is probably just apps being updated in the background and would stop once all are up to date. 

Just a logical guess.

Just a logical guess.

Just a guess, but not a logical one, since someone has just said things were fine for a couple of weeks.

My experience matches that of others: a factory reset is needed if you have battery drain.

Guest crusader58

Just a guess, but not a logical one, since someone has just said things were fine for a couple of weeks.

My experience matches that of others: a factory reset is needed if you have battery drain.

My guess is still logical, as app updates may have only been released at the time that the battery drain was being experienced. Apps are regularly being updated to make them Lollipop compatible.

I would suggest that before taking the drastic measure of a Factory Reset, that you bear with it for a day or so to see if the battery drain stops. 

Edited by crusader58
Didn't post quoted text (so pasted it in)

Guest Captain Cookster

Battery life after Lollipop update is just the same as before, with the addition of the new battery save mode is fine.

In my experience its easier to completely wipe your Tablet before installing Lollipop, then you can effectively cut down the overheating, power drain and general niggles associated with ART compilation. This helps to weed out any apps that may cause a problem.

If not, you end up factory resetting anyway.

I use my Hudl2 lightly, since it is an under-endowed toy, just for reading news and email over breakfast and a quick glance at other things later in the day.

After the Lollipop update and a factory reset, it is giving four days of battery life.  No complaints here.

• 1 month later...

I'm a little confused, when u say to do a factory reset are u reverting back to an older version of android or are u still updating to 5.1?  My battery life has definitely depleted after the update.

Also has anyone else noticed a background static noise when using headphones with there hudl 2? I listen to asmr videos on YouTube and there's always background noise which is really annoying, its at a very low level but still noticeable with asmr videos. I don't get it with the same headphones on my iPhone so its defo the device. Sorry if this should be in another topic.

Guest Captain Cookster

If you Factory Reset you will install Lollipop if you already had it.

Not noticed any sound issues with mine. It has been quite stable since updating (well reasonably well behaved)

Have you already Factory Reset after the update? If not I suggest you do. As bad battery life is a side effect of the update.