How to stop update to lollipop

I don't want to update yet until some of the issues have been sorted. How do I get rid of the star and the notifications to update?

I managed this on my android phone, but the option to disable hudl updates is greyed out.

Thanks

Guest Jabbitt

I did start a thread about my Hudl2 being too quiet even when at full volume. But I think I must of somehow disabled the Dolby settings without knowing it.

Since the Lollipop update and with the more pronounced Dolby app and settings my Hudl2 is nice and loud again.

Guest CPN200

If it's any help at all, I would suggest doing a full factory reset after doing the Lollipop update on the Hudl 2. I didn't really discover how beneficial this could be until yesterday on mine. I also had suffered from the odd "weirdness" in behaviour after the update. Random freezes, apps terminating abruptly for no good reason etc. More importantly, my available memory had fallen to just 2.2Gb and I wanted to see if a reset would recover any of it in the process.

A factory reset isn't as painful as it sounds actually but only as long as you have allowed Google to keep a full active backup up to date during use. After I selected the reset option and left it too do its own thing for a while, it restored everything to just about exactly how I had it running prior to the reset. The only change I made whilst it was carrying out the restore was to switch to Google's own launcher rather than the Tesco one. Even this was quite a revelation as immediately all my previous 3 home screens reappeared with "ghost" icons in place of apps yet to be restored and I just sat patiently and watched as slowly everything was restored to normal! Anyone who has "unknown sources" enabled or makes use of the Amazon app store should be aware that these apps will NOT be restored during the Google restore process...

When it had finished, I then moved all eligible apps onto the SD card as before, cleared all the app caches and the first immediate benefit was in free memory which had jumped up to 4.5Gb (once I had completed this task) from the 2.2Gb I had previous to the factory reset! One thing I did notice, however, was that the time was wrong by a couple of hours when set to auto update from network time and couldn't be corrected for some reason. So, given all the activity it had just gone through, I decided to reboot into recovery and reformat the cache partition before the next restart and this fixed the time problem straight away.

A couple of benefits I have noticed since doing all of this... 1. My Hudl 2 now seems to fly along whatever it is doing 2. The battery now seems to last forever compared to before and 3. I have now been able to disable ALL the built in Tesco apps including even MyTesco and Tesco Account Manager which wouldn't under the KitKat firmware.

This was well worth the factory reset in my view and I now have a superbly smooth running Hudl 2 and actually, with all the cloud storage available to use these days, there's no reason to lose any of your data at all in that process. :)

Guest Captain Cookster

I agree with the last post. It's inevitable that you have to do a reset in the end. Unless you do the wipe before the update, that works too

Guest Last_To_Know

CPN200, you say

"as long as you have allowed Google to keep a full active backup up to date during use".

Is this enabled by default?

Does it back up data, as well as app history and config?

Thanks in advance.

CPN200, you say

"as long as you have allowed Google to keep a full active backup up to date during use".

Is this enabled by default?

Does it back up data, as well as app history and config?

Thanks in advance.

The answer to your first question is "yes". (as long as you have logged in to your google account on the device if you have one)

The answer to your second is not so straightforward. If the app follows generic Android "rules" the answer would again be yes but if it creates its own system folder/directory (e.g. .torque/cache/etc... note the full stop at start...) then the answer would be no in respect to application data, config or history...

Before Factory resetting, your system "Backup & reset" screen should have looked like this... (obviously with your gmail account details in the "Backup account" entry)

Screenshot_2015-10-15-22-01-59.thumb.png

...and then to reset, choose (touch) "Factory data reset" on this screen above. This will take you too the next screen where there is a checkbox for you to also erase your SD card, if you have one, at the same time as the reset is carried out. (so, in answer to your question, it is effectively a "soft" reset as opposed to using the android recovery menu...)

Once the reset is then gone ahead with and once the machine fully restarts, you'll then get taken through the usual routine to connect your wifi (important to do this before going further!) and then to enter your google account details. Once the machine has logged in, you don't need to do anything further except sit and watch as the restore starts up itself! This may not happen instantaneously that the machine detects an internet connection but it will start on its own eventually. You'll then be presented with a screen that lists all the backups (by date) that Google has for your account on its servers for you to choose... Having chosen the most recent, obviously, what you do have to do then is to wait until the restore has fully completed before trying to use the machine. You'll know when you see your own custom home screen complete with all its icons (may be greyed initially until the relevant app is retrieved and installed again) magically appear... I would also advise leaving it on the charger through this process as, depending on how many applications you had installed previously, it can be quite lengthy and upwards of 30-40 mins to complete...

Hope this helps.

Colin

Edited by CPN200

Guest Last_To_Know

Thank you, Colin, for your full and clear response.

Believe it or not, Google couldn't find any information about the Restore process.

I suppose because it's all one process in effect, but no-one except you has mentioned the Google backups list.

I find it very reassuring and will now pick my moment to take the plunge.

Thanks once again.

You're most welcome. Here's a little more detail from Google's Nexus help pages but it also applies to any other Android device as much...

Restore your data and settings

You can use Android Backup Service to restore your data on a new device and restore app settings after you've backed up your data to your Google account.

Restore your data and settings using Android Backup Service

When you add your Google account to a device, the data that you previously backed up for that Google account is restored to the device.

• Google Calendar settings
  • Wi-Fi networks & passwords
  • Home screen wallpapers
  • Gmail settings
  • Apps installed via Google Play (backed up on the Play Store app)
  • Display settings (brightness & sleep)
  • Language & input settings
  • Date & time
  • Third-party app settings & data (varies by app)

That "varies by app" bit is the grey area I alluded to in an earlier post...

• 7 months later...
Guest popoyaya
On 10/5/2015 at 10:02 PM, Alien Heads said:

If you were rooted you could have frozen the updates, I've done the same thing as i'd rather stay on kitkat.

I've got a rooted HUDL 2 on Android 4.4.2. How do I freeze/block the update to Lollipop?

[edit] found it... 

Edited by popoyaya