SlimROM 5.1.1 featuring MourtaKernel Hybrid [2016-03-24]

Guest Mourta

I'm responding to this as my phone alerted me with the sound alert.

I was called earlier today and my phone rang then.

Did you wait until full downtime and then try it?

Full downtime is at the point where your phone can go to sleep.

I realized now that my phone isn't sleeping using Adiutor. BBS aren't working now... If no one are having this bug, so my phone is the problem.

When I get home, I'll disassembly to clean screen (again) and I will install ICS to see if my RIL problems goes away. So just after that, I'll try to install this ROM.

Thanks for support until now!

I realized now that my phone isn't sleeping using Adiutor. BBS aren't working now... If no one are having this bug, so my phone is the problem.

When I get home, I'll disassembly to clean screen (again) and I will install ICS to see if my RIL problems goes away. So just after that, I'll try to install this ROM.

Thanks for support until now!

There is absolutely no need for that, it won't help anything anyway.

You have the exact same phone that i do, and you have a problem while i do not, so let's compare data and find out what it is.

I have the same RIL that you do too, there is another issue at work here, remind me, did you report your core version to me? If not, there might be an arm bug fix that i need to implement for your version (this doesn't actually do anything to any other versions so other users, don't whine about it).

I'm sure we can fix it, but be assured, once this ROM goes to stable it's abandoned, KK is the last known good for our device without having to resort to patches that break some code and cause instability so i will return to KK, a glorious version of KK too, based on Vanir with BeanStalk stuff and Liquid and ... well you name it, it's about time we have a ROM of our own.

Oh, and we're moving more things to 3.10 and once done, we can just diff and patch to any version... so... 3.19 kernel anyone?

Guest Mayazcherquoi

i have tried this and the testing crew has tested it that has NEVER been a problem.

Testing teams are not infallible. If they were, we would never have bugs in "stable" public software.

There is absolutely no need for that, it won't help anything anyway.

You have the exact same phone that i do, and you have a problem while i do not, so let's compare data and find out what it is.

I have the same RIL that you do too, there is another issue at work here, remind me, did you report your core version to me? If not, there might be an arm bug fix that i need to implement for your version (this doesn't actually do anything to any other versions so other users, don't whine about it).

I'm sure we can fix it, but be assured, once this ROM goes to stable it's abandoned, KK is the last known good for our device without having to resort to patches that break some code and cause instability so i will return to KK, a glorious version of KK too, based on Vanir with BeanStalk stuff and Liquid and ... well you name it, it's about time we have a ROM of our own.

Oh, and we're moving more things to 3.10 and once done, we can just diff and patch to any version... so... 3.19 kernel anyone?

I could hear sound today, after a deep sleep, like you said. But when reboots, it stops again...

Ok sir! No ICS, I have no time to wipe all. But I disassembled. Actually I am still using your ROM, even with this bug.

I don't know what is core version, maybe it is something related to CPU? I'll attach a screenshot.

Well, I don't like LP, neither material design, so a KK version should be awesome! Or you can make a M version! Lol joking.

Screenshot_2015-10-14-01-01-34.png

Guest juantech

in the kernel auditor in hotplug you have the intelliplug desactived?
in the 0.8 version the stability and smooth increases a lot with this desactived, in the 0.9 i dont know if was desactived or not but you dont lose anithing seeing it.

or test this config: hotplug: performance, governor: conservative, touch boost disable,
energy saving of multiple cores disabled, planify tails of works in cores active disabled.

and push the box of up  in the hotplug and cpu for enable it.

if you want to return to the frequencys of before take screenshots per example.

i dont know if this will solve it but you dont lose nothing testing it ;), its the config what i use, gives you the best battery life and max game performance(with sio scheduler) at the same time.

Edited by juantech

in the kernel auditor in hotplug you have the intelliplug desactived?

in the 0.8 version the stability and smooth increases a lot with this desactived, in the 0.9 i dont know if was desactived or not but you dont lose anithing seeing it.

or test this config: hotplug: performance, governor: conservative, touch boost disable,

energy saving of multiple cores disabled, planify tails of works in cores active disabled.

and push the box of up  in the hotplug and cpu for enable it.

if you want to return to the frequencys of before take screenshots per example.

i dont know if this will solve it but you dont lose nothing testing it ;), its the config what i use, gives you the best battery life and max game performance(with sio scheduler) at the same time.

Don't disable the hotplug driver. It's the only hotplug driver there is and without it all cores will always be on (it's a replacement for cpuquiet)

The stock settings are fine and should give you reasonable battery life and performance. Changing the scheduler won't make any noticeable difference in either performance or battery life but if you prefer SIO or NOOP then go for it.

I could hear sound today, after a deep sleep, like you said. But when reboots, it stops again...

Ok sir! No ICS, I have no time to wipe all. But I disassembled. Actually I am still using your ROM, even with this bug.

I don't know what is core version, maybe it is something related to CPU? I'll attach a screenshot.

Well, I don't like LP, neither material design, so a KK version should be awesome! Or you can make a M version! Lol joking.

Screenshot_2015-10-14-01-01-34.thumb.png.ff75c5d16371556e7c355d950c06bdab.png

Try this: go to settings|development|use Awesome player.

This should be done by everyone because it fixes the problems with audio being sluggish and eating up CPU cycles.

Guest juantech

im juantech but i will answer with so much quotes and in the quote of mourta why this forum gives me a lot of problems at the hour of post and i dont know how solve this problem xD

well you have the truth normally cpu quiet or this is the best option, i was using this until i proved the slimrom, i was seeing what the phone freezes a bit when the cores are initializing and for this i desactivate the intelliplug, later i saw what withouth this the 4 cores are allways on and i had to change the governor, i was thinking and pushed conservative with not much hope of see the games fast with the low frequency what uses normally (475mhz) and was sorpressed me, this adapts the frequency allways for have all the performance what needs the phone and when not needs so much the frequency its really low and the rom its running fast and saving battery, this i think is your rom what is really good, in liquid smooth or stock rom i remember what was needed more frequency for be smooth.

i thinked too in return to trickster mod like in liquid smooth for the cpuquiet what yes its stable, but i like more the distribution of the other with hotplug performance the bad its what in intelliplug inits and offs the cores too fast and constantly and for this is the inestabilitys and not so smooth like cpuquiet or 4 cores allways running.

too i decreased 75 all the voltages of kernel auditor for if some game needs to run all cores to 1500 mhz and is under really heavy load for not reach the 80° in none case.

and the sio i only use for the great comportament of the games having this scheduler the system of "the first comes first" what gives the touch a better sinchrony whith the games, the people too says what deadline its the best for games but the response of imputs i sensed better in sio, before of use it like my scheduler i didnt have so great precission in the touch.
but yes with battery saving or performance not have much difference.

this is what i sensed in sio after test all the others schedulers, but im speaking much, sure what i failed in something xD 

Try this: go to settings|development|use Awesome player.

This should be done by everyone because it fixes the problems with audio being sluggish and eating up CPU cycles.

My audio is working better now after I changed to Awesome Player. I am using Audiopo to hear my podcasts, now it's working properly like in Omnirom.

By the way, comparing this ROM with Omni, your ROM is a bit less responsive, mainly in transitions, and sometimes audio gets some lags. But nothing that affects usability.

Thanks for support!

No, the scheduler has nothing to do with gaming performance or anything like that, it regulates how storage read and writes are handled (scheduled) and that has nothing to do with gaming. We don't even use it for cache.

Naturally you can use whatever setup you want to but be aware of what you are doing and what is doing what. No matter which governor you are using when gaming you will have four cores running at 1500 constantly without intelliplug or cpuquiet (either one works but for future upgrades to the kernel i've decided to use intelliplug since it works in conjunction with powersuspend which will be implemented as earlysuspend goes away) and there really is no good reason for that at all given that CPU performance doesn't affect 3D gaming all that much as long as it can keep the bus filled.

My audio is working better now after I changed to Awesome Player. I am using Audiopo to hear my podcasts, now it's working properly like in Omnirom.

By the way, comparing this ROM with Omni, your ROM is a bit less responsive, mainly in transitions, and sometimes audio gets some lags. But nothing that affects usability.

Thanks for support!

Which OmniROM are you comparing it with?

Which OmniROM are you comparing it with?

Final one, with Werewolf kernel v10.

It was excellent in performance, but it heats up too much and drains battery, besides your ROM. I was using it with 800Mhz max CPU, and no lags at all.

Final one, with Werewolf kernel v10.

It was excellent in performance, but it heats up too much and drains battery, besides your ROM. I was using it with 800Mhz max CPU, and no lags at all.

Wasn't that a KK ROM? You can't compare this or any other LP ROM to that, KK ROM's are in a class of their own since we didn't have to hack together patches to even make it run.

That's why i'm looking towards KK for future builds, add on the new ART from LP5.1 which isn't really a problem and it would be a huge improvement over anything else.

Also, as time passes battery life and stability will improve greatly because the old and outdated earlyssuspend as well as most of the X3 hacks implemented by LG will be going away and replaced with native Nvidia code.

Of course, if you're just interested in performance then turning off intelliplug and setting the governor to performance will give you a massive performance boost, it will also make your phone into an excellent handwarmer during the cold winter days. ;)

The real problem is balancing performance and battery life and that isn't going to be one setting fits all, you'll have to experiment with that and i suggest shifting the profile for intelliplug to performance, turning off KSM and removing the powersaving features like the workqueue option (run tasks on active cpu's) to start with. That will increase performance while not causing significant losses to battery life. Disabling KSM will in fact increase performance while at the same time increasing battery life until you hit the wall where Zswap will reduce performance and eat up cpu-cycles, this can be fixed by changing the LMK settings but at that point multitasking will be affected greatly.

There is something strange about this version of SlimROM though, it doesn't care about the build.prop settings (it ignorse the "use awesome" flag as well as the zygote flags and density settings and uses it's own defaults instead, i don't know when that will get fixed but i'm waiting for the first stable version to release and then i'll leave that project to others and return back to KK.

Guest juantech

Thanks for the info mourta, about the 4 cores running at 1500 mhz in the games in any case if i dont use the cpu quiet or intelliplug... this is what i allways wanted :) now i will can use  a governor withouth worring me of see the comportament in the games, now alls are with the max performance, wow a really good rom mourta, you did a great work, good luck with the mhl :)

Thanks for the info mourta, about the 4 cores running at 1500 mhz in the games in any case if i dont use the cpu quiet or intelliplug... this is what i allways wanted :) now i will can use  a governor withouth worring me of see the comportament in the games, now alls are with the max performance, wow a really good rom mourta, you did a great work, good luck with the mhl :)

Why? It won't speed up the games, as long as the bus is filled it's the GPU that will do the work, there is no use having the CPU running that high, all it will do is slow down everything because the bus doesn't have unlimited bandwidth.

What you want is the CPU to keep up but not more.

I think i fixed the MHL, apparently i missed an update to the panel file to enable the external bus but it's included now.

Guest juantech

mourta:
Why? It won't speed up the games, as long as the bus is filled it's the GPU that will do the work, there is no use having the CPU running that high, all it will do is slow down everything because the bus doesn't have unlimited bandwidth.

i:
mourta i can assure you what with
more frequency the games what need it like heavy games of 2GB with impressive HD grafics runs absolutely withouth lags, its more, i allways used cpuquiet whith 1 or 2 cores at 1500 and in an app what emulates all the games of psx with 60fps with fidelity, i could only play the games withouth lag with 4 cores at 1500 mhz, and i played allways this emulator since one year, i allways i was thinking what the game needs more than 1500 mhz because i was running 1 or two cores to 1500mhz and i couldnt play never in my life with no lags this game until now, when stock, was when i played most bad this, compared with now was unplayable, and giving to this game more mhz and cores allways runs more fast, i tested during hours and hours this and the game what more lag have (gangstar vegas)seeing allways the frequency what uses and now i can play the game what i never thinked i would can play withouth lags (the psx emulator), absolutely perfect, the bus i dont know what is, if its some of the ram capacity or something, the sio i readed gives all the ram what needs the apps and games but for multitask for this not is much good.

Mourta writted:

I think i fixed the MHL, apparently i missed an update to the panel file to enable the external bus but it's included now.

i:
wow i think i will cry of emotion, now i have to say it: this is the best rom ever, thanks for try to solve it, i will say if works when you release the patch but if you say it sure what yes :)

Edited by juantech

mourta:

i:
mourta i can assure you what with
more frequency the games what need it like heavy games of 2GB with impressive HD grafics runs absolutely withouth lags, its more, i allways used cpuquiet whith 1 or 2 cores at 1500 and in an app what emulates all the games of psx with 60fps with fidelity, i could only play the games withouth lag with 4 cores at 1500 mhz, and i played allways this emulator since one year, i allways i was thinking what the game needs more than 1500 mhz because i was running 1 or two cores to 1500mhz and i couldnt play never in my life with no lags this game until now, when stock, was when i played most bad this, compared with now was unplayable, and giving to this game more mhz and cores allways runs more fast, i tested during hours and hours this and the game what more lag have (gangstar vegas)seeing allways the frequency what uses and now i can play the game what i never thinked i would can play withouth lags (the psx emulator), absolutely perfect, the bus i dont know what is, if its some of the ram capacity or something, the sio i readed gives all the ram what needs the apps and games but for multitask for this not is much good.

Mourta writted:

i:
wow i think i will cry of emotion, now i have to say it: this is the best rom ever, thanks for try to solve it, i will say if works when you release the patch but if you say it sure what yes :)

You can assure me?

Well i guess that's that then. Here i was thinking i knew stuff about the shared memory bus and what the GPU and the CPU does as well as what the scheduler does but you have shown that i'm all wrong on all my knowledge both on the hardware and the software.

Guest juantech

You can assure me?

Well i guess that's that then. Here i was thinking i knew stuff about the shared memory bus and what the GPU and the CPU does as well as what the scheduler does but you have shown that i'm all wrong on all my knowledge both on the hardware and the software.

xD what!? mourta i cant believe your words xD you know more about development than anyone else you are doing updates what only lg would can like the tegra 4 and for not talk of the unreachable image quality what only your kernel have :) , i only understand of governors frequencys and schedulers, in other thing would be me who would be wrong with no doubt xD

Guest NothingSerious

You can assure me?

Some of the games and all emulators rely just on the CPU to be honest. The GPU might be getting bottlenecked at the same time with the CPU scalings. To give a (hopefully good) example though, think of the slow downs as something that Intel's Speedstep and AMD's Cool'n'Quiet do in PCs.

Edited by NothingSerious

xD what!? mourta i cant believe your words xD you know more about development than anyone else you are doing updates what only lg would can like the tegra 4 and for not talk of the unreachable image quality what only your kernel have :) , i only understand of governors frequencys and schedulers, in other thing would be me who would be wrong with no doubt xD

I have a hard time understanding what you are saying which may mean that i have misunderstood your intent and/or advice here.

I will say that the scheduler is not of the importance that you think it is, in fact since we are using dynamic fsync it's completely unimportant.

I will now leave this discussion alone.

Some of the games and all emulators rely just on the CPU to be honest. The GPU might be getting bottlenecked at the same time with the CPU scalings. To give a (hopefully good) example though, think of the slow downs as something that Intel's Speedstep and AMD's Cool'n'Quiet do in PCs.

Really? You're going to compare dedicated graphic cards and the platform they are implemented in to the shared bus configuration of our system?

OK, do this, restrict the CPU's to 600 and run any benchmark or game, it won't slow down once it's up and running.

Some games which are heavy on the shared memory bus will even run faster because they are not competing for bandwidth.

Even the 2D is drawn by the GPU which means that you are always using the GPU, remember when you asked why the GPU flew up to 520 on the slightest scroll? This is why that happens, the entire interface is run off of the GPU.

Now, if the CPU can't fill the bus and supply the GPU you would have a point but at 800Mhz it can do that just fine, there is absolutely no reason to run full CPU G max at all times and if a game does that there is something severely wrong with it.

You do realize that in the instances that you have tried the chipset powersave features they don't just lower the CPU speed, they also affect the max bus performance but i'm game for a test on this.

I've run a video benchmark on 1500 using full feature and intelliplug set to performance, i got 2310 for 3D performance, i then changed the profile to balanced and set the CPU to max 800 and got 3480.

You can try this for yourself.

I've worked on this kernel enough to know how this works and i have tried to explain it but obviously i have failed. One last note on this before i leave this behind, an emulator per definition is using the CPU, i may have missed that someone was using an emulator (which per definition is highly  CPU dependent considering that it basically translates code 100% and sends it off to something the GPU can deal with), in that case yes, it may increase performance to have the CPU running high.

Guest NothingSerious

Really? You're going to compare dedicated graphic cards and the platform they are implemented in to the shared bus configuration of our system?

OK, do this, restrict the CPU's to 600 and run any benchmark or game, it won't slow down once it's up and running.

Some games which are heavy on the shared memory bus will even run faster because they are not competing for bandwidth.

Even the 2D is drawn by the GPU which means that you are always using the GPU, remember when you asked why the GPU flew up to 520 on the slightest scroll? This is why that happens, the entire interface is run off of the GPU.

Now, if the CPU can't fill the bus and supply the GPU you would have a point but at 800Mhz it can do that just fine, there is absolutely no reason to run full CPU G max at all times and if a game does that there is something severely wrong with it.

You do realize that in the instances that you have tried the chipset powersave features they don't just lower the CPU speed, they also affect the max bus performance but i'm game for a test on this.

I've run a video benchmark on 1500 using full feature and intelliplug set to performance, i got 2310 for 3D performance, i then changed the profile to balanced and set the CPU to max 800 and got 3480.

You can try this for yourself.

I've worked on this kernel enough to know how this works and i have tried to explain it but obviously i have failed. One last note on this before i leave this behind, an emulator per definition is using the CPU, i may have missed that someone was using an emulator (which per definition is highly  CPU dependent considering that it basically translates code 100% and sends it off to something the GPU can deal with), in that case yes, it may increase performance to have the CPU running high.

Actually I wrote that because we were referring to just emulators(as stated by the MHL guy). While I don't deny anything of your statement, I have a question: 

What did you use to benchmark this?

Edited by NothingSerious

Guest juantech

I have a hard time understanding what you are saying which may mean that i have misunderstood your intent and/or advice here.

I will say that the scheduler is not of the importance that you think it is, in fact since we are using dynamic fsync it's completely unimportant.

I will now leave this discussion alone.

my intent was good, im only what im so fan of mourta kernel what sometimes i lost in admire this.

the things of the scheduler does and the importance of governor on the games i readed all in much pages, if im me wrong much more people will be too, but its posible, how i sayed i could failed in something or much things, the test of fire would be per example playing gangstar vegas what its the most laggy game what exists and the most impressive, i didnt test with these settings why i thinked what if the emulator can run perfect,  gangstar will run too best than before, but its normal what i was wrong, how i sayed i dont know so much like the developers :(

Edited by juantech

Actually I wrote that because we were referring to just emulators(as stated by the MHL guy). While I don't deny anything of your statement, I have a question: 

What did you use to benchmark this?

I used 3D benchmark but this discussion shouldn't be here in the first place so let's continue it in PM's if you have questions.

Actually, if people want to share their preferred settings it's probably best to create a thread just for that, i have no real interest in it so i suggest that anyone who wants to creates one and people can share and compare their settings in that thread.