PSA: If you got a free EE Power Bar, you need to return it

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Do you remember that earlier this year, EE were handing out free 'power bars' (cylindrical battery packs) to EE customers, which could be swapped when empty, free of charge, in store for a full one? If you were lucky enough to get your hands on one - we have bad news. They are being recalled as they could pose a fire safety risk. You will get a £20 accessory voucher for your trouble though.

Full details can be found at this page at the EE site, but the statement is as follows:

We’re recalling all EE Power Bars. This is just a precaution, but we want to make sure all our customers are safe.

If you have a Power Bar, you should stop using it straight away and hand it in to one of our stores.

We are taking this action because we are aware of a very small number of further incidents where Power Bars have overheated in circumstances that could cause a fire safety risk.

Keeping our customers safe is extremely important to us, and that’s why we’re taking this voluntary and precautionary action.

What's the issue?

We’ve identified a very small number of incidents where Power Bars have overheated.

What should I do?

We’re asking everybody to stop using Power Bars and unplug them from their phones or tablets, and the mains. You should return the Power Bar to an EE store as soon as you can.

How do I get my £20 voucher?

When you return your Power Bar to an EE Store you will be given a £20 voucher if you are an eligible EE customer. One of the team there will give you instructions about how to claim your voucher. You’ll be able to redeem your voucher at accessories.ee.co.uk.

It's all a bit embarrassing for EE really, but kudos to them for doing the right thing by issuing the recall, and giving away a valuable accessory voucher. I personally hope that the promotion is relaunched in the future (with a non-exploding battery pack) as the idea itself is sound.

Have you been affected? Let us know what you're spending your voucher on!

eebattbig.jpeg.b5f2a8da4822fd3630d231de4

View full item

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.