Game Over For My Hudl2 ?

Guest Gareth D

Guest Gareth D

Hi

Rooted my HUDL2 some months ago, forgot that I had, and yesterday went full steam ahead and tried to apply the latest OTA update. So now I'm embarrassingly stuck in the OTA update loop. Developer Debug Mode is not set, so I'm unable to do anything via ADB.  And I can't set it via the "keyboard settings" route published on MoDaCo a few months ago, as it appears since that guide, Google keyboard has been updated to a version in which you can no longer reach settings via the microphone key.

I should say that I am somewhat technical,  but a newbie on all this Android stuff...and having spent the best part of two days on this forum trying to find solution, I'm now resigned to the reality that I have bricked what was a perfectly good tablet :( 

Before I throw in the towel, can anyone suggest anything at all that I could try ? Alternatively, can it be confirmed that it is indeed Game Over for my HUDL2?

Many thanks to all the experts and contributors on this forum, the advice has been invaluable, if not my current situation !

thanks,

Gareth.

Edited by Gareth D

Guest Gareth D

Hi Normola

I tried your instructions, but specifically step:

3. Hold down the microphone key on the google keyboard and select the settings icon and select the settings icon.  This will show 'Input Options'.

fails on my HUDL2, as the keyboad app has  unfortunately been updated.... the microphone key no longer accesses any settings. So I can't find a crafty way into settings in order to activate USB Debugging, which I understand needs to On in order to use ADB.

Hence I'm snookered :(

thanks,

Gareth

2015-12-25 2 14.28.10.jpg

2015-12-25 14.27.54.jpg

You should be able to get into recovery and factory reset your tablet from their. This should restore an older version of the keyboard app which will enable you to then enable debug mode.

Guest Gareth D

well what d'ya know..... factory reset didn't change the keyboard app version, so presumably this is the version contained in the build the tablet shipped with....

But...the comma key did the job :)   I've now set UBS Debugging on and will move forward from here.

Many thanks indeed people, both I and my wallet appreciate it very much :)

Guest Gareth D

Hi

I'm still struggling....this time to get the RockChip utility working with my HUDL2. It doesn't  detect the tablet,  although Windows itself does when I connect via USB, nd it shows in Explorer.  I'm on Windows 10 and can't find confirmation that Rockchip is compatible with such. Can anyone confirm ? Or suggest other avenues I can take to flash the ROM ?

thanks

Gareth

Guest vampirefo
Hi

I'm still struggling....this time to get the RockChip utility working with my HUDL2. It doesn't  detect the tablet,  although Windows itself does when I connect via USB, nd it shows in Explorer.  I'm on Windows 10 and can't find confirmation that Rockchip is compatible with such. Can anyone confirm ? Or suggest other avenues I can take to flash the ROM ?

thanks

Gareth

Hudl2 isn't Rockchip it's Intel so you are wasting your time trying to get a Rockchip tool to detect an Intel.

Guest Gareth D

thanks for the heads-up Vampire, I'm very much learning as I go. 

My current status is thus:

- Build KOT49H.rel.android-build.20150529.110309 release-keys

- Previously rooted using the SuperSU app

-  now stuck in bootloop...following failed attempt to apply OTA update 

- ADB working

- Sideload of  hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150529.110309_to_rel.android-build.20150803.092218.zip  failed with "assert failed.....Staus 7 error message".

- Using the Keyboard backdoor route I can reach Chrome and get to Play to download new apps or launch installed apps

- Rootchecker tells me device is no longer rooted. Not sure how I accomplished this, maybe the factory reset option etc from the stock recovery menu

- Can't reinstall SuperSU as Play believes it to be already installed...but when I open it  I get error message "there is no su binary installed".

- tried a sideload of UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip...but this failed with "E-signature verification" message.

I'm at a loss now, well out of my depth if I'm honest !

So does anyone got any suggestions to help move me foreward....as I really don't want to have buy another tablet :(

many thanks all.

8 hours ago, Gareth D said:

thanks for the heads-up Vampire, I'm very much learning as I go. 

My current status is thus:

- Build KOT49H.rel.android-build.20150529.110309 release-keys

- Previously rooted using the SuperSU app

-  now stuck in bootloop...following failed attempt to apply OTA update 

- ADB working

- Sideload of  hudl2_ota_rel.android-build.20150529.110309_to_rel.android-build.20150803.092218.zip  failed with "assert failed.....Staus 7 error message".

- Using the Keyboard backdoor route I can reach Chrome and get to Play to download new apps or launch installed apps

- Rootchecker tells me device is no longer rooted. Not sure how I accomplished this, maybe the factory reset option etc from the stock recovery menu

- Can't reinstall SuperSU as Play believes it to be already installed...but when I open it  I get error message "there is no su binary installed".

- tried a sideload of UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip...but this failed with "E-signature verification" message.

I'm at a loss now, well out of my depth if I'm honest !

So does anyone got any suggestions to help move me foreward....as I really don't want to have buy another tablet :(

many thanks all.

Well my friend where to start, for the sake of sanity, it's going to be here - I can't caveat this with every possibility as the post would be too long and you'd probably skip to the action anyway so here we go with the 'big picture' straight away (big breaths): -

• The 'whole point / goal' of using a keyboard method to break out of the 'forced' setup process is to enable you after a hudl2 factory reset / wipe whatever you want to call it is to get to settings and re-enable 1st developer mode, then USB debugging that's it - stop here.

After a factory reset, you can't do anything else until you've reached this very point - why - well the error messages you get when the forced software update happens (as you probably / should have gathered by now) are due to 'software integrity' checks that Tesco updates run through before installing once they have been downloaded and your hudl2 reboots to install them.

So ....., what was the point of getting to here then, I hear you ask, well ........

Stop - let's pause and think back .....

Right, so you've previously rooted your hudl2, just like me and many other people, BUT you need to think here what did you do with your hudl2 while you were rooted - if you changed or deleted ANY pre-installed software or system configuration files (build.prop always and I mean always was my downfall) this is the cause of future OTA updates not installing and throwing up errors. As an aside, just for your info, when you get your error while the update tries to install, along with the detail it'll give you with the error number, it'll also pin-point for you the reasoning for the failure - it'll probably tell you somethings not there or what it's looking for / doesn't like.

Anyway - back to now .....

So we're sitting with the hudl2 broken out of the enforced setup process, with development mode enabled, USB debugging enabled, connected to you PC and all your ADB drivers are loaded and you can see it when you issue the 'adb devices' command in a command prompt......

I promise you - probably - the easiest way to return your hudl2 back to an 'acceptable' software configuration for a successful forced initial setup update to work is to re-flash a previous system partition image.

Why - well the only aim here is to undo whatever you have done while rooted - that's it, simple I know but CRITICAL.

So, working backwards in date order, using Paul's rooted system images, re-flash the most recent system image to your hudl2 via the 'fastboot' command-line method as detailed in Paul's pinned thread (which thread, the pinned thread - it's the only pinned thread you can't miss it - a cause for personal irritation but hey that's life, we'll move on). Remember Will Robinson, fastboot mode uses slightly different drivers - ensure when connected to your hudl2 in fastboot mode, you get a device found via the 'fastboot devices' command.

Once you've re-flashed the last most recent system image and you reset your hudl2 - guess what - you'll need to go through the initial setup process again - Yay!

At this point, don't break out of the process and let it find then download the forced software update. When it reboots to install the update - it's either going to work or display an error (no shxt Sherlock!).

IF the update installs - STOP HERE - get on with whatever you want to do and be happy.......

IF it again FAILS to install, perform a factory reset via the recovery mode and break out of the forced initial setup and then run through all of the above again BUT this time use the next previous system image than you've just used .......... basically you're taking your system partition back in time until you reach the point of acceptability for the forced software update.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ all this above isn't difficult, you just need to be patient and careful, good luck and good night - hey it's new year and hopefully a new start for your hudl2.

[ninja]

Edited by Guest
Text review.

Guest Gareth D

thanks for taking the time to reply Captain, most useful

I'm now trying to follow Paul's thread to the letter. I've downloaded the image and have installed flashboot on my Windows laptop, and attempted to flash it as per his detailed instructions. However....

The Windows command "adb devices" affirms presence of the HUDL2, but in 'unauthorized' mode:

C:\Users\Admin\Downloads\adbfastboothudl>adb devices
List of devices attached
adb server is out of date.  killing...
* daemon started successfully *
111214PE5042710 unauthorized

and thus bootloader won't work:

C:\Users\Admin\Downloads\adbfastboothudl>adb-windows reboot bootloader
adb server is out of date.  killing...
* daemon started successfully *
error: device unauthorized. Please check the confirmation dialog on your device.

I have reconfirmed that USB Deubugging mode is set on the HUDL2, and have installed MTP USB driver for the HUDL on my laptop.

But I don't get the Authorisation dialogue on the HUDL2, nothign at all appears, so i can't authorise the tablet and thus can't use bootloader.

The only way I could get ADB 'authorised' was  to use the 'apply update from ADB' option from the system recovery menu. When selected, adb can see an authorised device. But....this function only seems to accept the adb sideload command from the PC. the reboot has no effect at all.

So I'm at another impasse, albeit I'm learning lots :)

thanks,

Gareth

Guest mole62

Hi Gareth,  I'm in a similar situation (for a different reason, deleted one too many factory installed apps so the GUI won't start and ADB is "unauthorized" ) and was thinking of trying to reflash my saved system image - it's from around Sep 2015 and was about to update itself to Lollipop. Maybe that image could be used from SDcard using "Apply update from external storage"? Or maybe that's just for updating APK's rather than flashing anything, IDK. I've one raw copy that mounts fine under Linux, I tried making a sparse file but not sure if it's worked OK as I used Linux commands rather than the Windows ones on the Modaco thread. I could make them available for your download but think you'd be best taking the raw file then converting it to a flashable sparse file.

If that doesn't work I guess it'll be reflashing by soldering a Raspberry Pi and other hardware (from the bootloader unlocking thread on here)...

Guest vampirefo
Hi Gareth,  I'm in a similar situation (for a different reason, deleted one too many factory installed apps so the GUI won't start and ADB is "unauthorized" ) and was thinking of trying to reflash my saved system image - it's from around Sep 2015 and was about to update itself to Lollipop. Maybe that image could be used from SDcard using "Apply update from external storage"? Or maybe that's just for updating APK's rather than flashing anything, IDK. I've one raw copy that mounts fine under Linux, I tried making a sparse file but not sure if it's worked OK as I used Linux commands rather than the Windows ones on the Modaco thread. I could make them available for your download but think you'd be best taking the raw file then converting it to a flashable sparse file.

If that doesn't work I guess it'll be reflashing by soldering a Raspberry Pi and other hardware (from the bootloader unlocking thread on here)...

If you are on KitKat use tethered recovery.

Guest mole62

The problem is any tethered recovery procedure I've found needs adb to access the Hudl2 via USB, but we can't get that USB access to follow steps in threads like

http://forum.xda-developers.com/dell-venue/general/linux-tethered-cwm-recovery-version-t2963104

DellPC graham # adb devices
List of devices attached
131214PE5048643 unauthorized

DellPC graham # adb reboot bootloader
error: device unauthorized. Please check the confirmation dialog on your device.
...but the confirmation dialog doesn't appear.

./fastboot -i 0x1d4d flash /tmp/recovery.zip ./recovery.zip     

< waiting for device >

...and will wait forever.

If there's a different tethered recovery method, or a way to allow USB access,  we could get through this.

The other way would be to load the missing apps from SD card - my backed up image has an /app directory with some apk and odex files, will try sideloading those, but I don't recognise any of them as the ones I backup up then deleted.

Or is there any app that could be sideloaded and would give USB access? Or could the memory be flashed using a logic level converter board and Raspberry pi or Beaglebone - other threads desccribe reflashing the bootloader but no idea how to access the Hudl2's storage to reflash in this way...

Guest vampirefo

You can't boot your tablet into fastboot?

My dell power off press volume up and power is fastboot

volume down and power is recovery.

adb command was only to boot into fastboot from desktop, every Intel I have seen can boot into fastboot from power off, via hard keys.

Power + volume up or power + volume down

Guest mole62

It can boot into fastboot OK, but can't connect:

graham@DellPC ~/Android-SDK/Hudl2/linux $ ./trigger 3
Using Trigger 3
< waiting for device >         ... just waits forever

graham@DellPC ~/Android-SDK/Hudl2/linux $ adb devices
List of devices attached

Guest vampirefo

It can boot into fastboot OK, but can't connect:

graham@DellPC ~/Android-SDK/Hudl2/linux $ ./trigger 3

Using Trigger 3

... just waits forever

graham@DellPC ~/Android-SDK/Hudl2/linux $ adb devices

List of devices attached

You need to use the hudl2 script

./hudl2

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/linux-version-twrp-2-8-6-0-tethered-t3123075&ved=0ahUKEwj9o8ONjIvKAhWFNSYKHYm5DRMQFggbMAA&usg=AFQjCNEAQyKJghTuGGcDmvNZEVS9gnJkew&sig2=ciPuZKaaMy8zWEzSen_78g

For Tesco Hudl 2 users use hudl2 script instead of trigger, or you can still manually edit trigger if you want.

Guest mole62

Have just checked the xda thread, and not sure where to download the hudl2 script (must be in one of the bundles?), will download them now, but think it's the same as my modified trigger script - the commands I'm using are :

./fastboot -i 0x1d4d flash /tmp/recovery.launcher ./recovery.launcher
./fastboot -i 0x1d4d flash /sbin/partlink ./recovery.trigger.original  
./fastboot -i 0x1d4d oem stop_partitioning

or is there something else? In fastboot, the Hudl2 shows an image of an Android lying on its back, with front panel open and a "!" in a red triangle.... doesn't look good.

I've put the .apk and .obex files on SD card and tried to use "Update from external storage" but it's not showing any of them, the message is "Choose a package to install" and none of the files in the directory are shown.

Guest vampirefo

Have just checked the xda thread, and not sure where to download the hudl2 script (must be in one of the bundles?), will download them now, but think it's the same as my modified trigger script - the commands I'm using are :

./fastboot -i 0x1d4d flash /tmp/recovery.launcher ./recovery.launcher

./fastboot -i 0x1d4d flash /sbin/partlink ./recovery.trigger.original  

./fastboot -i 0x1d4d oem stop_partitioning

or is there something else? In fastboot, the Hudl2 shows an image of an Android lying on its back, with front panel open and a "!" in a red triangle.... doesn't look good.

I've put the .apk and .obex files on SD card and tried to use "Update from external storage" but it's not showing any of them, the message is "Choose a package to install" and none of the files in the directory are shown.

That is recovery mode not fastboot mode, you are in recovery mode, you need to boot into fastboot mode.

Fastboot mode is bootloader, android on back is recovery mode.

Guest mole62

Sorry! Yes, it's showing Anfroid system recovery <3e> when I boot with Volume (away from power button) held down.

It won't boot into fastboot mode, when I hold Volume (closest to power button) down it just boots as normal then hangs. It makes the startup sound, displays animated images, then stops showing "hudl" with the star pulsing

Edited by mole62

Guest vampirefo

Sorry! Yes, it's showing Anfroid system recovery when I boot with Volume (away from power button) held down.

It won't boot into fastboot mode, when I hold Volume (closest to power button) down it just boots as normal then hangs. It makes the startup sound, displays animated images, then stops showing "hudl" with the star pulsing

OK when you hear startup sound open terminal

adb reboot bootloader

What happens?

Guest mole62

DellPC graham # adb reboot bootlader

but no authorisation dialogue is shown....

Edited by mole62

Guest vampirefo
DellPC graham # adb reboot bootlader

but no authorisation dialogue is shown....

This is at pulsing star?

In recovery mode there is no option to boot into bootloader?

Guest mole62

Yes, that's with the start pulsing. The options at recovery mode are:

reboot system now

wipe data/factory reset - have avoided this as other thread suggested it could cause more problems

wipe cache partition - have done this

apply update from ADB - this does seem to allow some connection from PC

apply update from external storage - have tried two different SD card with the apk and odex files from my system backup, but the directory is listed as empty

apply update from cache

Guest vampirefo
Yes, that's with the start pulsing. The options at recovery mode are:

reboot system now

wipe data/factory reset - have avoided this as other thread suggested it could cause more problems

wipe cache partition - have done this

apply update from ADB - this does seem to allow some connection from PC

apply update from external storage - have tried two different SD card with the apk and odex files from my system backup, but the directory is listed as empty

apply update from cache

Stock recovery won't flash them, stock will only flash zip files signed by tesco.

Have to find a way to boot tablet into fastboot, try different combos. Hold both volume up and down + plus, and so on.