Remix OS gives your PC a beautiful, multi-window Android interface

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest PaulOBrien

Jide have announced the availability of Remix OS (in a 'Developer version'), their Android-X86 based Android operating system for the PC. Usable either from a USB stick or after installation to a hard disk, the OS, which looks like a cross between Android and Windows 10, could be a great way to revitalise elderly computers, as well as enabling the rich functionality that Android offers on different form factors.

This release is very much an alpha version 'intended for developers and early adopters who don’t mind a bug or two.' Jide remind us all that 'Android was designed for touchscreens and as there isn’t a touchscreen on most PCs, we want you to be aware that apps may perform differently. We’re asking for developers and testers to help us optimize Remix OS for Android PCs.'

remixscreenie.png.34883b80d548db5641254a

Remix OS really looks like the productive skew of Android that we wish Google was building. As well as a traditional task-bar and multi-window model, Remix OS includes:

• Full keyboard and mouse support including keyboard shortcuts
  • Windows 10 style notifications view
  • System tray
  • Right click support
  • Play Store!
  • Automatic updates
  • Maximise / minimise windows
  • Advanced file manager with drag and drop and external disk support

Intriguing eh? The 700MB installer can be downloaded from the Remix OS website and support is being offered via a Google Group.

Give it a try and let us know how you get on!

remix.png.2f369feeac7c95069ddcedbac3301a

View full item

Guest rferrett

I don't think it works with AMD so my main rig at home is out and my rig at work doesn't seem to have the USB 3 drivers installed so need to sort that.

I am intrigued though....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.