SIM trim fix for Smart Ultra 6 :-)

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

Guest macbreakweeklyfan

If rhyme was a crime, I'd be doing time...

Okay, since the OEMs INSIST on implementing the nano SIM format (WHY?! WHY?!), and I test a lot of phones, most of which are mini SIM format, I had to trim my "Three" mini SIM back to nano SIM size to fit my SU6. Here begins the problem with cutting your own SIM with one of these eBay £2 cutter tools... they come out VERY rough at the edges, once the cutting head has done its work, and often you'll see that the edges of the plastic - since SIM plastic is very soft and flexible - are not precisely and neatly cut off by the tool, and are more like stretch-TORN at the very edges of the plastic, and so need some de-burring of the plastic SIM edges to make them precise. Additionally, you will notice that the home-cut nano SIM has rather skewiff edges, not perfectly and precisely straight as they would be if you'd ORDERED a new nano SIM (which I shall, now.)

Anyway, after a month or two of annoyance at my newly cut SIMs getting "No Service" and "Emergency Calls Only" etc, I've found that the rough and imprecise nature of these tools is causing the TINY amount of plastic outer edge to be chopped off, therefore leaving the gold wafer contacts cut RIGHT up the the very edge of the nano SIM, ergo, once it is put into the Smart Ultra 6 SIM carrier - which is metal - the contacts SHORT OUT and therefore the SIM is either dead (because the power supply to it is shorted) or the data line is shorted. Anyhow, this is how I solved it:

Warning: IF YOU DO GET SLIVERS OF INSULATION TAPE COMING OFF YOUR SIM AND FLOATING AROUND INSIDE YOUR SMART ULTRA 6, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN!

SINCE THE SIDE WHICH HAS THE TAPE ON WILL BE PRESSED FACE-DOWN INTO THE SIM CARRIER, THIS IS VERY UNLIKELY.

#1 Get some THIN but good quality insulation tape, black, preferably.

#2 Follow the photos (attached) and insulate the VERY edge (0.5-1.0mm ish) of the edges of the SIM which have gold RIGHT TO THE EDGE, by laying a fine strip of tape along that edge on the GOLD SIDE, enough to cover the edge of the gold where it would have shorted against the SIM carrier metal. CHECK ALL EDGES BEFORE INSULATING, BY REMOVING THE SIM CARRIER, INSERTING THE UN-MODIFIED PROBLEM NANO SIM, AND LOOKING *VERY* CLOSELY TO SEE WHICH EDGES OF THE GOLD CONTACTS ARE PRESSING UP AGAINST THE SIM CARRIER METAL.

3# Get a VERY sharp scalpel or razor, and carefull trim away the excess insulation tape, as shown.

#4 Carefully lower the newly insulated nano SIM into the SIM carrier, ensuring it is flush into the SIM carrier, and slide it carefully and slowly into your Smart Ultra 6.

#5 Test!

PS: Ensure that the tape DOES NOT obscure any of the contact wear tracks (the marks on the gold where your SIM has been slid in and out of phones), since this is the area the phone SIM reader contacts will slide over, and where the contacts will connect, once the SIM has been pushed fully home - you'll have MORE problems if you've covered an area the SIM reader rides over!

Fixed it for me :)

IMG_20160205_003347.jpg

IMG_20160205_003540.jpg

IMG_20160205_003549.jpg

IMG_20160205_003751.jpg

IMG_20160205_004115.jpg

IMG_20160205_004133.jpg

Edited by macbreakweeklyfan

Guest macbreakweeklyfan
3 hours ago, femilovechild said:

Or better yet, just go to your carrier's shop and request a SIM swap.

Well yes indeed, obviously that's the best way to proceed, but this is a quick "here and now" stop gap fix to get you up.and running until you've a proper nano SIM from your carrier. Let's face it, having a working phone when you need to use it and can't wait, is better than having no phone at all. 

Guest femilovechild

I concur. I actually have one of those SIM cutter I bought off eBay and I had exactly the same problem you described here. Thanks for the tip!